PB 5w30 low psi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was searching and found on chevelles.com a PSI Test and PYB didn't do very well. 540 RAT did a test and it was less than I expected performance wise. However PP 5w30 was quite impressive on its PSI rating. Is PYB just not cut out for hard use and extended runs? I never had a reason to run dino but I guess I thought PYB would be a premier product like its synthetic alternative. It showed Havoline conventional even beating its syn counter-part. Man if that isnt awkward.

I'm not familiar with the chevelle test but I know of the rat test and it's not relevant to real world performance even if it's legitimate. It borders on advertising for an additive. PYB is excellent.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
It showed Havoline conventional even beating its syn counter-part. Man if that isnt awkward.

That's all fine and dandy if one uses an irrelevant test. Maybe Havoline conventional tastes better than the synthetic version, too.

Realistically, test the oils against real specifications. How will the Havoline conventional fare against the dexos1 certification. Can it meet A1/B1 A5/B5 or A3/B3 A3/B4 in the relevant viscosities? I doubt it.

I have havoline conventional in my truck right now and I don't like it. my oil pressure is 10 psi lower when warm than with any other oil I have used. seems like it is really thin when warm or thinning out allot. even when I had 5 20 in it the op was 10 psi higher. And this stuff is 5 30.

If I recall from the spec sheets, it is about as thin as one can go in a 5w-30 and still be a 5w-30.
wink.gif

I was wondering about that. Not a big fan of it. kinda want to get a uoa done on it but have had all sorts of oil in the truck lately so I don't think my numbers would be very accurate. Oh well might just change it out a bit early. won't use it again. got it for free so can't really complain.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
But is havoline protecting

Protected my Acura engine just fine in multiple OCIs and UOAs. That engine specifies 10W-30 or 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I was searching and found on chevelles.com a PSI Test and PYB didn't do very well. 540 RAT did a test and it was less than I expected performance wise. However PP 5w30 was quite impressive on its PSI rating. Is PYB just not cut out for hard use and extended runs? I never had a reason to run dino but I guess I thought PYB would be a premier product like its synthetic alternative. It showed Havoline conventional even beating its syn counter-part. Man if that isnt awkward.

PSI test? Simple FM additives can greatly alter the outcome IMO.

"PB" also lovingly known as 'Pennzoil Bottle' (not to be confused with PT (pennzoil tanker) has a pretty standard add pack. PPwPP or PUP probably have more advanced FM additives, and a slightly better base slate. I doubt the base oil slate is the only difference between the tiers

Originally Posted By: abycat
got it for free so can't really complain.

That's good. I was going to ask where you got it. Partsource doesn't offer it at a very reasonable price and I've never seen it on sale there. And I'm not even sure if Husky/Mohawk, the Chevron distributor, sells only the Chevron versions or does the Havoline stuff, too.

I'd be interested in trying the Havoline, but not at Partsource prices. Delvac 1 is cheaper than Partsource conventional.

Originally Posted By: Garak
got it for free so can't really complain.

That's good. I was going to ask where you got it. Partsource doesn't offer it at a very reasonable price and I've never seen it on sale there. And I'm not even sure if Husky/Mohawk, the Chevron distributor, sells only the Chevron versions or does the Havoline stuff, too.

I'd be interested in trying the Havoline, but not at Partsource prices. Delvac 1 is cheaper than Partsource conventional.

yeah a buddy gave me a Four pack of jugs. He got it from someone else too. It seems ok. No engine noise or nothing but I just don't like to see the oil pressure Guage so lazy with it. even cold it is really low.

I remember the Husky use to have it at the pumps, but with the consolidation of a few Chevron/Havoline things, it seems to have disappeared from there. I wouldn't be averse to trying it myself. The marketing here for it is way in left field.

The best price I found for Chevron conventional (aside from the distributor, who I've never checked) was a trucking outfit. They had the SN/GF-5 stuff out way early in the rollout, and had a good price on it.

I was wondering about that. Not a big fan of it. kinda want to get a uoa done on it but have had all sorts of oil in the truck lately so I don't think my numbers would be very accurate. Oh well might just change it out a bit early. won't use it again. got it for free so can't really complain.

Get a UOA done. That is the only way you can determine if the oil is the cause of the "lower" than 20 grade oil pressure.

I see that when i used to use pyb 5w30 my oil gauge in my 4.0 jeep that i use to plow the shop with was lower when warm but i also changed my valve cover gasket after 200,000 abused miles and saw a clean engine. I now use whatever bulk i have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back