The worst rental car I've ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home from our vacation at 1:30 this morning.

Took a version of a trip that we did in 2010. We flew into Vegas, drove to Monterey,(where we spent 3 days), spent a couple of days in Simi Valley, spent some time in San Bernadino, and drove back to Vegas for some time there.
Flew into Vegas last Tuesday afternoon. Had reservations for a full sized car with Hertz. The disaster started when I reported to the Hertz kiosk at McCarran Airport. I was in back of two very upset groups of people from Europe and saw some of the most rude behavior that I had ever seen from a business in my life. The rude, condescending, sarcastic behavior of these workers was unbelievable.

Thirty five minutes later, it was my turn. Went to the counter with my reservation number and of course they wanted to upgrade me on my dime. I politely responded "no thanks." They then started in on their fuel program and collision waiver and I again politely responded "no thanks." I then got told that I "needed to listen to him and if I put one scratch on his car that I would be charged." I told him that if I want to be screwed and tattooed, that it was my prerogative to do so. However, I would be using my iphone to document the condition of his vehicle. He decided that he would expedite the process at that point and gave me paper work and keys.

My "full size" car was a thoroughly dinged and scratched 2012 Mitsubishi Galant with 57K miles on it. It looked like it had done some long-term parking in the gorilla cage at the San Diego Zoo, and frankly I have seen nicer vehicles at a BHPH lot. Even though I was somewhat flabbergasted that a Galant was a full size car, I was more shocked and dismayed at the condition of it. Even though it had been vacuumed out, the insides of the windows were so filthy that I had to stop at a Walmart to get glass cleaner and paper towels to clean them so I could see out of them. As the car salesman in the movie "Vacation" said, "you think you hate it now, just wait until you drive it."

I had never driven a Mitsubishi before but this has to be one of the cheapest cars that I have ever driven. The ride was harsh, the plastic inside was cheap, the steering wheel was slippery and hard to grip and my right leg still hurts from the positioning that was required to drive it and my back still hurts from the cheap, unsubstantial, unsupportive seats. On the positive side, it had good A/C. This car was so cheap that it didn't even have an input jack to plug an ipod in.

The steering was loose and it was in definite need of front shocks/struts given the amount of bounce in the front end. It also had a tendency to hesitate when additional power was required, and several times stumbled and almost stalled at idle. The mileage was not impressive IMO. I figure that I got 25.61 MPG overall (57.542 gal/1474 miles.) I'll run down the fill ups along the way: Brand of fuel/Location/Price/Miles on tank/Gallons pumped/Calculation of mileage:

Chevron Bakersfield, Ca. $4.25.9 339.1 mi. 12.679 gal 26.74mpg
Quik Stop Monterey, Ca. $3.95.9 326.7 mi. 14.149 gal 23.08mpg
Costco Oxnard, Ca. $3.87.9 364.9 mi. 13.147 gal 27.75mpg
Shell San Bernardino,Ca. $4.07.9 173.9 mi. 6.684 gal 26.01mpg
Chevron Las Vegas, Nev. $3.85.9 269.4 mi. 10.883 gal 24.75mpg

Stop #4 was a top off before returning to Vegas and #5 was prior to return.

Fun trip.
Not a great car. Not bad enough to ruin the trip.
Doubt I'll return to Hertz.

Made have been a hassle, but I would have took it back, or never left with it at all.

So they stuck you with the brand-new 2003, er, 2012 Galant. That car hasn't seen an update in a long time. I'm not surprised.

Hertz tends to keep their cars a bit too long (I'm a frequent renter). It's why I always do Gold Choice and check out everything that's available, and take the one that's cleanest/nicest.

Cleanliness is hit-or-miss. Some locations are clearly understaffed and they're not doing anything to clean the inside of the vehicles. Other times they're spotless.

Don't be afraid to complain and ask for a different vehicle.

Yeah some cars seem like they take the dipstick rag then smear the inside of the windscreen with that. When I rented in Vegas my car was dripping water on the parking lot as someone had just walked down the entire line with a hose. Shortage? What shortage?

I had to fight to keep my reserved Dodge Charger from turning into a Ford Explorer. I said I'd do it if they comped the CDW as my credit card insurance didn't do SUVs. They miraculously found me a sedan.

Then after driving the Charger I decided I hated all new cars with huge A-pillars and terrible visibility, which is, most of them.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I did. Was told that was it, take it or leave it.

Wow. That sounds painful. I remember when Hertz was the cream of the crop. You'd get a new-ish (under 30k) Ford and be done with it. Then it was new-ish cars and now it seems like you'd be lucky to get a car at all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Then after driving the Charger I decided I hated all new cars with huge A-pillars and terrible visibility, which is, most of them.

go drive a 2009 or later forester
smile.gif

best visibility available nowadays.

the turning and maneuverability is excellent too

compared to a ford edge which is horrid imo.

Last edited:
I had a 2010 Galant as a rental car a few years back, and declared back then that it was the worst car built in years.

I would have preferred a mid-1980's Buick Century instead.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

That's [censored]. They have other cars. There's no excuse. Next time, ask for the manager or push them harder.

That's [censored]. They have other cars. There's no excuse. Next time, ask for the manager or push them harder.

Or do what I do..

I book multiple rentals using different discount codes online.. and if I have a bad experience, I'm off to the next rental counter... just make sure you dont leave a CC# when booking. Be sure they give you a complete refund and dont have any holds on your card before going to the next counter too.. When you deal with rental companies long enough you get used to their nonsense, and find ways around it. Personally, I have had good luck with Alamo & Budget.. ( in the USA). I have used Hertz in Canada and always got new cars.. but again.. who knows.. I guess things have changed. I would certainly report your bad experience to Hertz. In a day and age where so much competition exists.. its in their best interest to ensure a high level of satisfaction. Its too bad most rental companies are up selling.. Last hassle I had, I was told my GF at the time that she was not considered common law.. They tried to make me believe it was for same sex couples only.. Spent close to 2 hours standing waiting for the rental..

You would have had to have been there to believe it.
I've seen more orderly monkey cages.
It was obvious that the management of the location was substandard. Workers were yelling at customers.
Hertz has proven to me that they have no pride in their business by putting that POS on the road. Absolutely no excuse. The car should have been retired. Even the worker who took the car back in admitted that.
If I had to do it all over again, I should have raised my [censored] on the road on my phone and pushed for another car. If I would have pushed the car a little harder, it might have taken itself out.
I'll do everything that I can to avoid using Hertz again.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
enterprise likes to find things wrong with your car when you return it.
google :failing enterprise

I've rented at least a half dozen times, and never had an issue with returning a car...

Rentals were in multiple states, as well.

It depends, if you booked through a prepaid third party (like Hotwire) don't want to take any add-ons or insurance, you're getting the worst car on the lot. Since you prepaid, and probably at $8/day, you really aren't in a position to argue.

If you have status with any of the companies, you walk right by the counter and just hop in whatever car you want.

Hertz was a decent rental company 20 years ago. Now they have seriously degraded. I always use National Car rental - you get to walk the lot and chose the car you want form the category you reserved. Always a better experience. And make sure you check with your insurance agent to understand exactly what rental car coverage you have and make sure you obtain and use a credit card for car rentals that provides overlapping rental car coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back