10w30 vs 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok before I get flamed.. This is a question I can not seam to anwser. Why did the durmax suplement manual list 10w30 as an approved grade from 2001-2006 but not from 2007 on?

I would have thought that it would be listed especialy since ford and cummains has 10w30 approved. Per gm they changed the main and rod bearings for an improved oil film... or something similer to that. So if I am correct, could one assume that 10w30 could be used even if not an approved grade?

probly from preventing boneheads from using 10w30 gas oil. or they realized that 10w30 diesel oil is hard to find some times. the only option i have here is shell if i wanted a hdeo diesel oil.

Last edited:
I'd say that Chris nailed it.

My Nissan (not a duramax) came from the factory with 10W30, but only had 15W40 as an option for Oz (they have changed that to 5W40 in a TSB).

Other markets they have 10W30, and B4 as their specs...something that wasn't very common at all 10+ years ago.

'07 was the model year for the newer emissions standards and higher temps throughout the engine due to regen cycles. 10w-30 HDEO has been available here as long as 15w-40 has.

Kinda fun to watch how the OEM's all play this out. Detroit is now recommending 10w30 for it's DD15 engine, and is even factory filling it with 10w30. They also have it as a approved grade for the back thru the Series 60 engine. Check their lubrication manuals. I have the current one in PDF on my laptop for ready reference since I use Detroit engines. Trans Am, which primarily has KW's with Paccar or Cummins ISX engines just switched their entire semi truck fleet over to Schaeffer 711 10w30. Same for R. E. West, another national truck fleet, but they are all on Delo 10w30.

Given these examples, it must not have anything to do with the emissions standards and higher temps, cause all of these engines have EGR, SCR, and DPF in spades, and operate from The Rio Grande to Quebec.

And then there is the new PC-11 oil spec coming down the road for 2016.

10W30 CJ-4 and the new PC-11 will be the new 15W40 for most engines going forward-as far as the standard diesel oil goes. It may take time for the industry to comfortably make the switch, and there is a usually a difference between a 10W30 SN and a 10W30 CJ-4. (Unless it's been designed and licensed for both)

I think Chevron has done a great job with the Delo 10W30, I wonder how long it will take Rotella and some of the other diesel oils to get on the band wagon. (They already have 10W30 but it's not nearly as available as 15W40).

Originally Posted By: Solarent
I think Chevron has done a great job with the Delo 10W30, I wonder how long it will take Rotella and some of the other diesel oils to get on the band wagon. (They already have 10W30 but it's not nearly as available as 15W40).

Out here, Rotella T5 10w-30 (CJ-4/SM) is readily available at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
I think Chevron has done a great job with the Delo 10W30, I wonder how long it will take Rotella and some of the other diesel oils to get on the band wagon.

How readily available is the Delo 10w-30 in your neck of the woods? I don't think the Husky truck stop has any (at least on the shelf), but I'm sure a couple independent shops do. Of course, Imperial Oil will get you anything you want that's on the sell sheet.

Delo is being pushed to most of the dealerships for Paccar engines that I deal with, which makes it readily available for on highway guys. I don't go to walmart much, but as this is more of a focus for heavy duty engines, I am not sure walmart will even go there yet.

In my area it's wm and oriellys that carries t-5 and delo 10w30. The parts stores az an advance its just the normal 15w40.

However.... anymore speculation as to my orgional question?

My 2007 Duramax manual says 10w30 is approved for 0-100 degrees temp range. The DPF was added to the 2007.5 LMM engine package...

the trucking company that I work for went from 15w40 to 10w30 early last year and then switched to 10w40.

I think they had some consumption issues with some select make trucks and other units were thinning the oil out before the oil interval was met.

seems like 10w40 is becoming just as popular as 10w30.

Their initial reason?so they can brag about better fuel economy.
Today?i bet all big rig engine maker wish 0w40 had been avail before it was release(exemple:t6 0w40)but if we stay on the conventional oil side? Valvoline make some sae 30 ,sae40,and sae 50 that meet cj-4 if i recall (these oil would be about the 10w** range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back