What ONE thing reveals the most about an oils qlty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: dparm
Why does it have to be one thing? Haven't we established that it's all of those things put together?

Hey, it's your world, list however you'd like dparm.

Then my answer is, "how it holds up after multiple UOAs in my car." Specs on paper and anecdotal evidence means very little -- show me the data that's relevant to me. In this case, it would be using the oil in my own vehicle.

Why does it have to be one thing? Haven't we established that it's all of those things put together?

Hey, it's your world, list however you'd like dparm.

Then my answer is, "how it holds up after multiple UOAs in my car." Specs on paper and anecdotal evidence means very little -- show me the data that's relevant to me. In this case, it would be using the oil in my own vehicle.

No argument here.

1. API certified. Because there are oils that could meet a mfr's approval that don't bother to have it tested. So, in my mind, the most important thing to knowing that an oil will be of good quality is API cert. Though, obviously those oils with the mfr approval are going to be of just as good, if not somewhat better quality.

And that's all I can really chose from your list to answer your question.

However, when it comes to Motorcycles/ATVs with wet clutches (shared sumps)... I see the JASO MA or MA2 (either one, really) certification as being the second most important.

Now, as for least important? Well, heck idk. Probably the approvals it advises it 'meets' would be the least important

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
How smooth it makes Merk's engine run

classic

Many of the things you guys already list and the fact that PQIA tests the oil and finds that it meets the specs that it says it meets.

Then throw in a good price, comes with good company name, company reputation, and delivers good UOAs.

And there you got it. Oh and how it feels to my fingers. Needs to be nice and slippery.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
How smooth it makes Merk's engine run

crackmeup2.gif

In all seriousness, though, Merk's comments and suggestions aren't really all that wild or all that bad. Just like most of us here, he does have the intentions of helping others. It's just that, sometimes he can be a bit of a broken record some of us here are unsure whether or not some of the things he says is satire or sincere due to their repetition.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
The shape and color of the bottle that means a lot

Specifically, pay most attention to if the color of the cap matches the color of the bottle.....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Sincerely satirical...

Yeah, I know. Was just wanting to see what Merk would say. lol.

wink.gif

OK i know how to add an image now:
bad:
0_8a7c9_30bc8c98_XXL.jpg

good:
0_8c848_e9a95e5e_orig.jpg

wanna check you favorite oil; metal can, boil 10-15 min, ; getting polymerization (gunk)
consider change a type on next refill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back