Kerosene as motor fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
The multi fuel deuces I was around in the Army in the early 70's were generally AM General or Osh Kosh engines. Sure there were probably other varieties as well.

Some will dump a little K1 in the tanks of commercial trucks in extreme cold if they cannot get some D1, all while also throwing in some anti-gel. Thins out the mix a little to prevent fuel gelling. Problem is, it is not very cost effective as K1 and D1 are less efficient fuels in a heavy commercial truck. And it is a pretty dry fuel.

A diesel will run on kerosene. They'll run on jet fuel, in fact! Caterpillar actually had instructions for doing so.

While the TRUCKS were AM General, Kaiser, or Oshkosh, I recall they bought the engines from White and/or Continental.

Diesels will run along happily on kerosene if you add enough lubricant to keep the injection pump and injectors happy. It's very similar to #1fuel oil and has a lower gel point.

The multi-fuel trucks call for oil to be added to the gasoline, IIRC, SAE 30! Helps the injector pump.

K1 sold at the pump, sadly, feeds the boilers of more than a few who can't come up with $350-ish for a minimum delivery of 100 gallons.

Kerosene as a motor fuel? Sure-it was quite common in the 30's, 40's and 50's, especially for ag equipment.

Ford 9N, 2N and 8N tractors of that era were appended with an "AN" to the model number if it was modified to run on a distillate or kerosene. The same 4 cylinder flathead engine (with some very minor changes) was also used in pickups and cars from the 20's and 30's and the same modifications would work on them as well. They could also easily be modified to run on propane.

There were two modifications needed. The first was a Holley vaporizer system that replaced the original carburetor and manifold.

The second was the dual fuel tank.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Does anyone know why some Shell stations sell kero at the pump? We got it in our area, just curious.

I remember reading the owner's manual for my dad's leased 1984 MBZ 300D-Turbo. It said that for colder weather, they recommended using diesel No. 1 (never seen it before) or adding a certain proportion of kerosene to diesel No. 2 to keep the mixture from gelling. It's been noted that it could probably run a diesel engine if there's enough lubricant added. And there are those using kerosene heaters.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I remember reading the owner's manual for my dad's leased 1984 MBZ 300D-Turbo. It said that for colder weather, they recommended using diesel No. 1 (never seen it before) or adding a certain proportion of kerosene to diesel No. 2 to keep the mixture from gelling. It's been noted that it could probably run a diesel engine if there's enough lubricant added.

Kerosene is sold in this area, it's just usually sold in 55 gallon drums for people who use it in space heaters during the winter.
In areas of the country where it gets cold, your reputable diesel sellers automatically mix #1 and #2 diesel together so that the diesel doesn't gel in the winter. It probably just isn't done where you live.
There's nothing worse than having -10F temps, 50 MPH winds, and sitting on the side of the road with your diesel engine gelled up.

Long time ago my dad had Skoda 110 with simple low comp. OHV engine. He used mix of kerosene and petrol (50-50) and it worked well. Off topic but i know guy that runs his old Triumpf on diesel. He got his reservoar split in two,one part for petrol, other for diesel. It uses petrol only at start and until the engine warms up.

I ran a scooter on almost 50%, and used several liters in a 8.5:1 CR turbo car after the 3/11 earthquake.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2311127/Re:_No_gas,_how_to_mix_methano#Post2311127

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I remember reading the owner's manual for my dad's leased 1984 MBZ 300D-Turbo. It said that for colder weather, they recommended using diesel No. 1 (never seen it before) or adding a certain proportion of kerosene to diesel No. 2 to keep the mixture from gelling. It's been noted that it could probably run a diesel engine if there's enough lubricant added.

Kerosene is sold in this area, it's just usually sold in 55 gallon drums for people who use it in space heaters during the winter.
In areas of the country where it gets cold, your reputable diesel sellers automatically mix #1 and #2 diesel together so that the diesel doesn't gel in the winter. It probably just isn't done where you live.
There's nothing worse than having -10F temps, 50 MPH winds, and sitting on the side of the road with your diesel engine gelled up.

Doesn't get cold enough around here. However, some people do go up to the mountains for skiing, and it can get subzero occasionally. I'm not sure how to prepare for that. The other thing was that M-B offered a complimentary engine block heater for that car. I think there was actually a coupon in the owner's manual. My dad had it installed, but I doubt it was ever used. Not that it would sold fuel gelling in the tank.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Been there, done that.

That's what I always found cool about older diesels. They'll run on anything - Gas/oil mix, diesel, kero, home heating oil, jet fuel ...

Wasn't uncommon for some of the shady drivers to steal diesel out of the truck for their homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back