ISO noob guide to The BITOG Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a "noob guide" to The BIOTG Way of DIY oil changes.

I tried the search first, but am now resorting to posting this new topic.

My stable features an '01 Lexus is300 and an '05 Honda Odyssey. Both have about 140k miles. I have done my own oil changes on past vehicles (pick-em-up trucks that were easy to get under) but have always had these two cars serviced at either quickie shops or the dealer. Always "full sythetic".

I want to get back to doing my own maintenance and light service. In that effort, I've discovered this forum, and am excited by the depth of knowledge it contains.

And so, my question: where do I start? What's the smart way to diagnose the current state of things, and to develop a strategy for eternal engine life? What's all this about UOA's? There must be past threads that address this topic in a general way (ie. not specific to any one make or model) but I haven't been able to find them. Can anybody point me to the right breadcrumbs?

Thanks in advance...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

The link above is a pretty good explanation of UOA's. (used oil analysis)

If you are going to do oil changes per the manufacturers recommended length, I would bypass the UOA unless you think there is an existing issue. These are typically used to find problems such as fuel dilution/antifreeze contamination. They are also used for measuring oils life after a given interval, and many use these to extend their oil change intervals.

If you plan on doing maintenance per manufacturers specs, just use quality fluids that meets your vehicles requirements from the owners manual, and you should be all set, thats just my 2 cents.

Now what fun would BITOG be if there were consensus on one right way to do things...

Seriously, though - what's your normal oil change interval (OCI) for both vehicles? I'm hoping that if you're using synthetic and they're both well out of warranty, that you say something longer than 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: jdeight
And so, my question: where do I start?

You start by researching which oil changing tools will make the task easy.

There's no point in struggling with oil changes when there's some very clever tools available.

Yes, my OCI is around 5,000 mi for both.

Off-Topic, but you can visit the deals section to save a few (or more) $ on oil price/filters price/tools price.
Also, for your Honda Odyssey, our resident injector expert, Trav (username), may have a few sayings...
now, BITOG fun:
-don't do this drunk
-don't put used oil in used beer bottles
-don't forget to put back oil cap and oil drain screw
-don't destroy used oil filter (still on the engine) without alternative means of transportation
-read the M2 anecdote

now seriously, safety first!
a good search feature is to use:
site:bobistheoilguy.com
in a google search box

If your quest is to find consensus on BITOG, you have a long ordeal ahead.

If you want a pile of facts and opinions to sort out, you came to the right place.

UOA's are handy for finding how far you can extend oil changes, or for diagnosing a small set of engine problems, such as dust intrusion (silicon) or water or coolant contamination. For the average user who changes their oil on schedule in a good engine, the UOA will just say "good job!".

You can use BITOG to put together an engine life strategy. First of all, find out if you have an interference engine, if there is a recommended service interval on the timing belt or chain (yes some chains have service intervals), and what are the common failure points and when. Document both recommended and unlisted maintenance issues. For example my Toyota has no recommended ATF change interval, it just says to check the ATF. My Honda has no interval on the PCV valve, but there are consequences to letting it get clogged up. Every brand has its strengths and its gotchas. Educate yourself.

On the brighter side, there's nothing strictly wrong with that... it's just that for most quality synthetics on the market, you're throwing away usable oil by changing it out that often.

Any history of irrational brand loyalty or aversion in your family?

just dont use fram orange cans of death or purolators!!!lol
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418

On the brighter side, there's nothing strictly wrong with that... it's just that for most quality synthetics on the market, you're throwing away usable oil by changing it out that often.

Any history of irrational brand loyalty or aversion in your family?

OP (Original Poster), please read this as:
we are trying to help you, but please give us a bit more info about your preferences/experiences.
Today's motor oils (conventional, semi-synthetic , synthetic and full-synthetic) and oil filters usually can go the mile.

How are you going to be getting under? Some live in the city or have condo associations, HOAs etc keeping them from doing it.

I recommend driving up on a curb on a Sunday morning.
01.gif
Scamper on under there!

I live in the country and use ramps. Figure jacks and stands bruise the undercarriage just a little each time.

Surprised nobody has said
welcome2.gif
research the PCMO forum and see what people are using, the best way to search BITOG is by going to google and type in what you're searching for and add bitog at the end.

For example: What oil 2005 odyssey bitog

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OP (Original Poster), please read this as:
we are trying to help you, but please give us a bit more info about your preferences/experiences.

Yes, that.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of the information that gets posted on these fora is really opinions based solely on the poster's personal prejudices over brands and other seemingly insignificant criteria. If you're already of the mindset that using a quality synthetic is your preferred course of action, then it narrows down the range of recommendations that you're likely to listen to. It helps you get better information if you give us more up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back