2014 Subaru - Need to use Subaru brand filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my first Subaru (2014 Impreza Sport) and am used to changing the oil and filter myself on my last car, so I figured it would be easy enough to do on this car too.

The problem is that I don't know which filter to use. With my last car, I just went to Walmart and bought whatever was cheapest. With this car, I want to make sure it's absolutely taken care of.
Do I need to use Subaru brand filters? If not, is there a brand that you guys would recommend instead?

Lastly, probably a stupid question but I've never cared this much about a car before (this is my first brand new car), where could I find the exact filter model numbers that fit my 2014 Subaru Impreza? I haven't been able to locate anything specific regarding the 2014 Subarus, or could be I'm just not looking in the right places.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

+1 on the OEM filters. Fairly priced with the specs required. I'm not sure any other manufacture has a filter that meets Subarus specs. Ed

First of all, keep the oil & filter receipts in a safe place. Subaru's have a higher bypass setting on the oil filter than most after market ones. Wix makes a proper one. There is even a manufacture who makes an improper one in the aftermarket but supplies a proper one to Subaru.

Do a search and you will see A LOT of info about Subarus and their oil filters. The reason being that Subaru has a bypass relief valve that's set to a significantly higher PSI than most other filters. The Subaru filter has a bypass valve of 23 psi, whereas most other cars are in that 10-12 psi range. As a result, there's a lot of back and forth that goes on from people regarding the filters. The stock Subaru filter has the high bypass value, but people believe it's lacking on filtering specs. Whereas other filters have great specs for filtering, but lower bypass relief valve psi.

You're in luck though, I think the Wix 57712 will work with your vehicle (also available as the NAPA Gold 7712). It's a quality Wix filter with a 23 psi bypass relief valve. According to the Wix website it's filtering is 2/20=2/20. That means it filters 95% of particles 20 microns in size, and 50% of the particles 2 microns in size.

You can find filters with better specs, but they probably wont have the bypass psi that Subaru filters have.

I don't really have a side in the argument. Some people believe you need the higher psi, while others say better filtering is more important and point to the fact that TONS (probably most) of Subarus regularly use filters with the lower psi value and yet they are still extremely reliable and known for easily going hundreds of thousands of miles without mechanical issue (now gasket issues might be something else). Who knows.

To find a filter that works for you, you can either do a google search and find the topic discussed on Subaru forums by people with the same engine as yours. Or you can go to some place like RockAuto.com and look at the filters they have listed for your vehicle. That will give you a list of filters that should work for your car, but you can also go to filter manufacturer's websites since most will let you look up a vehicle to find the parts that they have which fit it.

Never used a Subaru OEM filter in any of three Subies we've had.
Never had a problem with engine lubrication.
YMMV.

Had the same issue with wife's '13 Legacy...jump on the appropriate forum for your year/model and ask around...alternatives are out there, it just depends on your engine . If it's the FB25 engine, the Purolator 14610 is an exact size match and matches the stock filter specs for this engine. Just a side note,no controversy intended, but the current stock filter for SOA (Subaru of America) is actually made by Honeywell,who also makes Fram. Just thought it worth noting, as some do not care for the brand.
smile.gif

First, congratulations on your new Impreza. I hope you really enjoy it.

The Subaru filter is a good filter. You would be safe staying with it. It is very similar in construction to the Fram Tough Guard. I'm not positive which OEM filter is called out for the '14 Impreza, but it should be listed in your Owner's Manual. It should also be written on the side of the filter. Look for a number that looks something like 15208AA15A.

I prefer the Wix or Napa Gold filters. The NAPA Gold is made by Wix. Both meet requirements that Subara has for high pressure bypass valves. Some will argue that this isn't important. But if you can meet the Subaru spec, then why not? I looked up the '14 Impreza with a 2.0 liter engine on the Wix site, and they show their oil filter for this car as being the 57055. The NAPA Gold equivalent is FIL 7055.

The only filters that I have been able to find that meet the Subaru bypass filter spec are the NAPA Gold and the Wix. Purolator shows a part number (L14615) that is supposed to have the high pressure bypass valve, but I have never been able to find it anywhere.

I am quite partial to the NAPA Gold. It can be bought for 1/2 price when NAPA runs their filter sale twice a year. Plus, I got excellent results from it when I had a used oil analysis (UOA) done at my last oil change.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Sicko, I started doing research and was so overwhelmed with all the info I found; that's why I figured I'd ask
smile.gif
Thanks for the explanation! And Rockauto.com definitely helped - that's what I was looking for

Travlnman, I actually have the FB20 engine but thanks for the help!

Thanks BHopkins! I'm loving my new car so far
smile.gif

That's what I've been thinking - find a filter to meet the Subaru specs that is more readily available to me.
The problem is that I need the filter in the next 3 days and the dealership is 1.5 hours away so I'm trying to avoid making that trip.
I'll probably get Wix brand, that's what most seem to recommend and I found a little auto parts store that sells them near me.
I'll keep the Fram Tough Guard in the back of my mind though, just in case. Walmart is pretty much the only big store around me and they sell Fram filters, so I know I can use one in a pinch.

Thanks for the help!!

Originally Posted By: driftofftosleep
Thanks BHopkins! I'm loving my new car so far
smile.gif

That's what I've been thinking - find a filter to meet the Subaru specs that is more readily available to me.
The problem is that I need the filter in the next 3 days and the dealership is 1.5 hours away so I'm trying to avoid making that trip.
I'll probably get Wix brand, that's what most seem to recommend and I found a little auto parts store that sells them near me.
I'll keep the Fram Tough Guard in the back of my mind though, just in case. Walmart is pretty much the only big store around me and they sell Fram filters, so I know I can use one in a pinch.

Thanks for the help!!

I didn't mean to give you the impression that the Fram Tough Guard meets the Subaru spec. I'm quite sure it doesn't. My point was, as far as construction (bonded fiber end caps), same style of anti drain back valve, same style of bypass valve), the Subaru filter is very similar to the Fram Tough Guard.

Even if the Fram and the Subaru are built in the same plant on the same line, I an quite confident that the Subaru filter is built with a different spring, to give the higher bypass valve pressure.

Also, you should look at either the Wix or NAPA Gold for the air filter and cabin filters too. Ask your local NAPA when they run their twice a year filter sale. Most will run them late winter or early spring, and again in late summer or early fall. Mark it on your calendar, and go stock up on filters when they are on sale. I bought the NAPA Gold FIL 7055 for $3.17 each. At that price, I bought 10 of them. The air filters were $6.69 each, and the cabin filters were $7.92. You aren't going to find better prices for filters of equal quality.

I did a side by side comparison of the NAPA and OEM air and cabin filters. It was almost impossible to tell the difference, if not for lot number information printed on the filter media.

So, is the oil filter on the FB20 located up on top of the engine, off to the right, like it is on the FB25? This is the coolest thing. Oil filter location wouldn't keep me from buying a car or not. But now that I have it, it is super convenient. I as myself all the time why every engine designer doesn't do the same thing. So simple. So smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back