Motorcraft Filter Cross Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer to use a Motorcraft oil filter on my wife's Villager, but I'm not willing to pay $9+ for a FL-839 from the dealer. The local Wal Mart doesn't stock the FL-839, but they do stock a FL-400S which appears to have the same thread dimensions and gasket size - diameter and thickness. The FL-400S is longer, of course.

Do you think I can substitute the FL-400S for the FL-839?

Look up the specifications. I am not sure the Motorcraft site has specs, but you can compare the Wix versions. The Wix site is the only one I know of that gives the gasket dimensions. If the bypass pressure is different, I would not worry too much as I have seen that parameter vary between brands as much as between different filters of the same brand.

If it will take a FL400 then it might take a FL1A (slightly different gasket diameter but works on my wifes 3.0L 1992 Aerostar which specs a FL400). The 3.0s flange is the same size as on my F150 that takes the FL1A.

Another alternative is the Maxlife filter, which is about $6 but has been on sale lately (I think now at Advance Auto). It, like Motorcraft, is made by Purolator and has the threaded end bypass valve (unlike a Purolator).

Be careful!

The longer filter sticks down below the oil pan and is vulnerable. I have seen a few Villagers that have bashed up the filter from using a longer one. If you are lucky it will just cause a slight leak. If you are not so lucky, you will be buying an engine.

My Nissan Pickup takes the FL-839 and frankly, I've never figured out why this filter is so expensive. I once found some at an Advance Auto and they, too, were $9+. There's nothing special about this filter, but given its scarcity, I'm gussing that Ford just doesn't sell that many of them.

As Big Jim pointed out, I would be cautious about using an oversized filter. This may be a case where you're more or less forced to use an aftermarket filter. Fortunately, there are plenty of high quality filters for your application to choose from.

I've used the PH3600 sized filter as an oversized for Nissan's PH3682 and Toyota's PH3614.
If it fits without bumping into anything, have no fear in using it. The filter is only ~1" longer and hasn't been a problem in the cars that I've used it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back