Bypass Pressure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a choice of several different oil filters for an Isuzu diesel engine. The main difference between them seems to be the bypass pressure. Some are set at about 9psi, while the others are set as high as 20psi. This engine is in a generator set, and will be running synthetic 5w-30, as soon as the break-in period of 30 hours is complete. Which should I choose, the lower bypass pressure filters, or the higher bypass pressure filters? Thanks.

Do you have the ISUZU filter#?
Does the engine have an oil pressure gauge?

If normal operating oil pressure were say 25 PSI, a 20 PSID bypass wouldn't give much of a "safety" margin.
However, if it were say 60 PSI, any would probably be just fine.

Chances are, in the real world, that it wouldn't make much difference. You only have to worry about BPP if the filter gets clogged, or starting up on cold, thick oil.

What I would do is check the more "reputable" manf. websites and plug in your engine or filter# and see what they recommend. Cross those against each other and see if you come up with tthe same result. IF you do, it's probably a good choice.

I don't like FRAM's site for this because they seem to suggest too many different filters for a cross. Hard to tell which really is the right one.

Just my $.02

Don't have the part number. The engine does have a oil pressure gauge, though. The filters I'm looking at are all Wix parts listed for the 2.2L Isuzu. My engine is the 4LE1 model, but I don't find it listed anywhere.

The bypass setting won't have much to do about anything. Look at it this way. Just assume two identical filters ...one has a 9psi bypass ..one a 20 psi. At 100% of their life they will have the indentical PSID ..up until 9psi ..then the 9psi will sit there ..while the other will continue to climb

You probably will never reach 9psid in either before swapping them out.

Now the filters aren't identical ..but the PSID for a new filter probably is (next to nothing) ..
dunno.gif

Thanks guys. Funny thing, that filter is the same one my Acura uses. That should make inventory simple.

quote:

Originally posted by 416Rigby:
Thanks guys. Funny thing, that filter is the same one my Acura uses. That should make inventory simple.

Oh Oh! Now you're in a double quandry
smile.gif

The Wix site lists the 51334 as their replacement, deoing a part# search.
It has an 8-11 PSI BPP listed.

On the FRAM site, it comes up as the PH3593A as both an Isuzu and Honda #.

Basically, you use the std. Honda filter from a few years back.

Since the engine is new, I'd assume it's under warranty.
IF it were me, I'd stick with a filter that the manf. (filter or Isuzu) recommends as a replacement, at least for the first couple changes in case there happen to be any engine problems.
Conceivably, a filter manf. could deny a warranty claim if you chose a non-recommended filter from their list.
After that, if you want to go oversize, the Wix 51344 (or quality equivalent) would be a good choice IMO.
I just don't see any reason to deviate substantially from factory BPP's.
Since it's for a generator, the possibility exists that it may run unattended for extended periods of time???
In case the engine were to run out of oil, the last few sips or oil/air out of the sump would be blocked from circulation sooner by a higher BPP. Just a thought-

Baldwin has one of the best on-line filter catalogs and also gives very good info about each filter.

For the 894456-7412, they recommend their B1425, 20 psid bypass valve, also fits Acura, Honda, Isuzu Automotive, Light-Duty Trucks.

Ken

Thanks again. For fun, I wonder if I could use an M1 EP filter, or a K&N filter on it? Just use the same as the Acura part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back