Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, 6256 miles, 2012 Impreza

Status
Not open for further replies.
blackstone2_edited.jpg

The black Subaru/Roki filters that you can't buy anymore. I'm using up a stash that I bought when they were still available. When those are used up, I will switch to FRAM XG7317.

Originally Posted By: SubieSteve
The black Subaru/Roki filters that you can't buy anymore. I'm using up a stash that I bought when they were still available. When those are used up, I will switch to FRAM XG7317.

they are still widely available.

my dealer still has a whole rack of them and says they have no problems ordering more.

Very nice report - greg24 will be all over this soon - I think PP 0W-20 is his go to oil for his Honda. I use it in my son's new Dart, and from the looks of this UOA, I'll continue to use it.

I cant see the image. I'm running PP pureplus GTL 5w20 (best general specs for summer even eclipsing Ultra) and it is an outstanding performer.

That is a nice-looking UOA. Is the the new "Pure Plus" Platinum or the old version?

Originally Posted By: Danh
That is a nice-looking UOA. Is the the new "Pure Plus" Platinum or the old version?

Old version.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Looks really good. I'd expect it to though with only ~6200mi of use on that oil.

I'm building up the miles of my UOA a little at a time. In my first UOA (when the car had only 11k miles on it), Blackstone told me to increase from a 5k to 6.5k UOA. Now that I see how well the oil is doing at almost 6.5k, I'll increase my UOA even more.

This is probably pureplus before they actually changed the label. Apparently the change was made back in 2013 but the labelling change wasn't made until this spring. This looks different from the old formulation which typically had about 50ppm of only.

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
Does pennzoil platinum normally have this level of moly?

It would appear only the new/recent formulation. The old stuff had about 50ppm

Nice uoa! What air filter? Total car mileage seems high enough for break-in si to start trending down. Or maybe it's just at the point of a downward trend.

Are you now sticking with 7,500 miles max for warranty purposes?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Nice uoa! What air filter? Total car mileage seems high enough for break-in si to start trending down. Or maybe it's just at the point of a downward trend.

Are you now sticking with 7,500 miles max for warranty purposes?

Air filter is Fram CA9997 Extra Guard Panel Air Filter.

Yes, I plan to increase my OCI from 6.5k to 7.5k, but I doubt I will go beyond that.

Originally Posted By: Rand

my dealer still has a whole rack of them and says they have no problems ordering more.

Really? I can't find them anywhere. Just the blue Fram can now

OP....do you have any thoughts about the Fram XG filter not meeting Subaru's by pass specs?

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Originally Posted By: Rand

Really? I can't find them anywhere. Just the blue Fram can now

OP....do you have any thoughts about the Fram XG filter not meeting Subaru's by pass specs?

Me too, in terms of not being able to find the black Roki filters (P/N 15208AA160) anymore. Now all I can find from Subaru is the blue filter (Honeywell, I believe, P/N 15208AA15A). I've heard that the old Roki filters are superior to the Honeywell filters, so I'm not buying the Honeywells. I plan to go with the FRAM XG7317 when I run out of Roki filters.

I have no educated opinion regarding the XG filter not meeting Subaru's bypass specs. I've only heard that it's an excellent filter, well built with very good filter media. If someone on this forum has an informed reason to steer me away from the XG7317, I'm listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back