3.6 pentastar oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new guy here.

I did a search, but didn't find much about oil for the pentastar engine.

I have a 2014 durango 3.6. I'm looking for a great oil to use for oci of 8-10k miles. I am going to go by the OLM, which looks like it's going to be in the 8-10k range. The owners manual says max oci of 10k or a year.

So far I have 4100 miles on the factory oil, which I'm told is not synthetic. So I am going to change it soon.
The vehicle will primarily be used to haul the family around. So not much WOT. Probably a mix of 70/30 highway/city driving. Most miles so far has been weekend getaway trips. Also, I will probably try to limit its city winter driving, seeing how every Dodge vehicle I've ever owned has body rust issues early. We still have 2 trucks that we will use for bombing around town in winter.
We live in WI, so not super hot in summer, but can get real cold(below 0*F) in winter. It will be in an unheated garage.

I, like most people, did not really understand the oil weights until I started reading here. I did read the "motor oil 101" blog on here. And from what I got out of that is I want to use a 0w-20 oil. Dodge specs 5w-20.

So having said all that, what is a great oil? I'm not brand loyal to anything. Though I would prefer a readily available oil. I have been leaning towards Mobil 1, but did read about how Dodge hasn't approved or whatever Mobil 1. Which I don't really care about, other than possible warranty issues. Same with Amsoil. I do have a Wally World nearby, but they do not carry Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum Ultra, or whatever that is.
Thanks for any advice.

P.S. I probably won't be doing and UOA's. I didn't search that forum either because I don't have the knowledge to read a report anyway.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
I did read the "motor oil 101" blog on here. And from what I got out of that is I want to use a 0w-20 oil.

oh no..............not another one.
33.gif

I'd stick with what Dodge spec'ed for the engine, and get whatever floats your boat at Wallyworld. Or wherever is most convenient for you.

stick to the owners manual spc'd weight and just buy a good quality oil and change it per manual intervals. After warranty is up use a 0 20 if it gets really cold where you are. The difference between a 0 and 5 wt is very small.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I'd stick with what Dodge spec'ed for the engine, and get whatever floats your boat at Wallyworld. Or wherever is most convenient for you.

+1. At my local Walmart there's a choice of Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, and Castrol Edge all in 0W20. Any of these would be outstanding and your engine would never know the difference IMHO.

Or even better stock up on the NAPA Synthetic (Synpower "clone") for $3.49 a quart this month at Napa Auto Parts.

Last edited:
now, I'm not in WI, but my Cars had no problems flowing with dino 5w20 during the dreaded polar vortex this past winter. (Week or so of -20F, subzero most of Jan)
(how ever i do plan on having Syn 5wX in them for this winter in case we get a repeat performance)

the FF for your engine is 5w20 PYB. which is a Darn good, readily available, and inexpensive oil. and should be more than adequate.

for like $1 more, you can get the MC synblend. (gasp! ford oil in a mopar! heavens no!) which is also darn good, and readily available.
(just between you and me, my brother is even using motorcraft filters on his Hemi Challenger)

Last edited:
Now I don't have your manual in front of me, but my Dodge OM specs IIRC, a Pennzoil or Shell brand 5W20 in my Pentastar. I changed my FF at about 3000 miles and put PU in it. You could ask at the dealership and I think they might follow the OM specs, especially in Wisconsin.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 is what you want. It's got the good cold flow properties you need.

That would be my first choice, however IIRC it does not meet the Chrysler spec. OTOH PP 5w20 does. If you're concerned about your warranty I would use a synthetic oil that meets the Chrysler specs for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 is what you want. It's got the good cold flow properties you need.

That would be my first choice, however IIRC it does not meet the Chrysler spec. OTOH PP 5w20 does. If you're concerned about your warranty I would use a synthetic oil that meets the Chrysler specs for your vehicle.

If M1 doesn't carry the necessary approval, then I wouldn't use it during warranty. Out of the oils at WM, I'd probably use QSUD or PP. If your OLM is cal'd for dino oil, then any quality syn you use will be a step up, especially during the winter months.

Definitely run something that meets Chrysler's approval while you are in warranty.

A lot of oils meet Ford's spec for my focus - so I am lucky there. My only complaint is 7500 max mileage.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I did read the "motor oil 101" blog on here. And from what I got out of that is I want to use a 0w-20 oil.

33.gif

As opposed to the garbage you post here daily? Pot, meet kettle.

I feel bad for saying this, given your vet status (thank you), but you certainly need some help.

Last edited:
What you need for warranty compliance is a 5W-20 that is approved for Chrysler MS-6395. Mobil 1 isn't approved, but several other name brand synthetics are approved. We just got a Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6 and it will be getting PP 5W-20.

What if the OLM turns out to be a joke?

Keep a sensible 5k OCI with any of the full synthetic 0w20 or 5w20 oils. 0w20 would be great in those warm northern winters.

If you want to go longer oci, gather UOA data for your driving style.

I'd do the first 2 or 3 oil changes early (say 5K OCI) while the engine is breaking in. After that, no more than 7,500 while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

33.gif

Not sure what this is all about....

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
What if the OLM turns out to be a joke?

Keep a sensible 5k OCI with any of the full synthetic 0w20 or 5w20 oils. 0w20 would be great in those warm northern winters.

If you want to go longer oci, gather UOA data for your driving style.

Assuming similarity between the 2012 and 2014 versions, the OLM is not a joke and with synthetic is actually conservative. I believe the single biggest difference is the 2012 specs 5w30 and the 2014 specs 5w20. The 2012 states do not exceed 8k miles per change and, per the OP, the manual states do not exceed 10k.

I did a UOA after 10k on PU 5w30 and it came back pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back