by stockrex
4 seconds ago
Under Valve Cover gm 5.7 201k miles
by Bryankkkk
35 minutes 4 seconds ago
what tire to run for winter 4wd Tahoe ?
by Arctic388
Today at 10:29 AM
New powder coated steel wheels: should I worry?
by ymc226
Today at 10:12 AM
Stainless Steel, Reusable Oil Filter Information
by BrotherMichigan
Today at 10:02 AM
Power companies are evil, plain & simple.
by Thermo1223
Today at 09:53 AM
Anyone run Nokianís year round?
by Picky1
Today at 09:21 AM
I made the switch to pennzoil...
by SuzukiGoat
Today at 08:47 AM
Light Bulb Cartel
by Vikas
Today at 08:10 AM
Proud of My Dad
by Phishin
Today at 07:06 AM
google earth does not show Panoramio photos
by Trav
Today at 07:06 AM
Philips 9012 in '05 Corolla?
by lukejo
Today at 06:16 AM
Newest Members
Thourun, Zach72, SandCastle, ymc226, redwoods73
51758 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (72te27, 95MarkVIII, 943kgt, andersd, Arctic388, 13Tacoma, 8 invisible), 1620 Guests and 146 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51758 Members
64 Forums
221456 Topics
3502182 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3424170 - 07/14/14 08:31 AM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: Miller88]
badtlc Offline

Loc: KC
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I reallllllly want to put a catch can on my parents Escape. I may end up doing it once its out of warranty.

catch cans do nothing for preventing intake valve deposits if that is what you are going for. This has been shown time and time again on different forums out there.

Catch cans are for increasing the octane rating of your AF mixture when you are running an agressive tune and pushing the limits. The PCV vapors lower the octane just enough for agressive tunes that it can cause detonation. They don't remove enough vapor to prevent valve deposits, though.

Here are the valves of someone who cleaned their valves, installed a BSH catch can hoping for results:

Edited by badtlc (07/14/14 08:32 AM)

#3424189 - 07/14/14 08:57 AM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: badtlc]
Miller88 Offline

Loc: Onondaga County
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I reallllllly want to put a catch can on my parents Escape. I may end up doing it once its out of warranty.

I'd put it on now, and take it off if there's a problem while its under warranty and has to go in for service. That is unless they bring it to the dealer for service, something I don't do. My thinking is if the catch can is going to be of any benefit long term, why wait until the warranty is up? Just thinking out loud.

They do dealer service. Can't really beat $25 for an synblend oil change that someone else is doing.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

catch cans do nothing for preventing intake valve deposits if that is what you are going for. This has been shown time and time again on different forums out there.

Catch cans are for increasing the octane rating of your AF mixture when you are running an agressive tune and pushing the limits. The PCV vapors lower the octane just enough for agressive tunes that it can cause detonation. They don't remove enough vapor to prevent valve deposits, though.

Here are the valves of someone who cleaned their valves, installed a BSH catch can hoping for results:

Wouldn't the catch can keep the pcv vapors from entering the intake? What about just sticking a filter on and venting it out into the open?

#3424211 - 07/14/14 09:30 AM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: Miller88]
badtlc Offline

Loc: KC

Wouldn't the catch can keep the pcv vapors from entering the intake? What about just sticking a filter on and venting it out into the open?

Removing PCV from the intake is the only sure fire way.

#3424222 - 07/14/14 09:50 AM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: Miller88]
demarpaint Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'd put it on now, and take it off if there's a problem while its under warranty and has to go in for service. That is unless they bring it to the dealer for service, something I don't do. My thinking is if the catch can is going to be of any benefit long term, why wait until the warranty is up? Just thinking out loud.

They do dealer service. Can't really beat $25 for an synblend oil change that someone else is doing.

I'd pass on the catch can then.

#3424357 - 07/14/14 12:20 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: itguy08]
bdcardinal Online   content

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Originally Posted By: klt1986
There were not any parts available...whatever happened Ford wanted the rear end replaced as a unit.

Individual parts are not available for those rear end assemblies. They are only serviced in a complete assembly. A lot of the rear drive units on the AWD vehicles are like that.

Ford/Mazda Parts Counter

NRA Endowment Member

"Fear disturbs your concentration."
-Sabine Schmitz

#3424837 - 07/14/14 07:41 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: badtlc]
ukmastermind Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
What car is that??

#3424909 - 07/14/14 08:27 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: tangojetta]
hattaresguy Offline

Loc: CT
Turbo charged motors have been around for a long time, back in the 80's Volvo, Saab, and Porsche had them pretty well figured out.

I'd have no heartburn buying one. Just stay on top of the oil.

OTOH I think the average person who does not stay on top of maintenance will find ownership expensive. They are not as tolerant as NA motors are of abuse.

Edited by hattaresguy (07/14/14 08:27 PM)

#3425060 - 07/14/14 10:46 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: hattaresguy]
dave1251 Online   happy

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
I agree with this.

#3427537 - 07/17/14 12:53 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: badtlc]
wtd Offline

Loc: southwest Mo.

You also have to realize that not all catch cans are as effective as others. There are quite a few cans out there that still let a lot of oil through to the intake. The manufacturer of RX catch cans claims that their cans capture 95%+ of oil and contaminants and have done quite a bit of testing with ecoboost vehicles, I think mostly the F150. Go to f150.com and they have some various threads on this issue and catch cans.
(2) 1992 Cavaliers
1970 Monte Carlo

#3427843 - 07/17/14 06:38 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: tangojetta]
sciphi Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Turbos have been around for a long time. I'd trust a major OEM like Ford to get it right, especially in a truck.

My turbo (but not DI) Cruze is doing fine at 89k miles, most of those highway miles at 55-60 mph.

#3428800 - 07/18/14 09:12 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: tangojetta]
hattaresguy Offline

Loc: CT
You guys are also assuming those valve deposits mean something. Most EGR diesels have valves like that and they run fine forever.

Those deposits might mean nothing and the motor will perform to design specifications for its service life with them looking just like that.

Edited by hattaresguy (07/18/14 09:12 PM)

#3428896 - 07/18/14 10:50 PM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: tangojetta]
TiredTrucker Offline

Loc: Kellogg, IA
It probably is a sure thing that a catch can won't catch everything, but the right can will catch a mighty amount of gunk that would have went to the intake. The catch can I have on my 5.3L in my Silverado captured enough in 13,000 miles to fill a 16 oz drinking water bottle to the top. So it prevented at least a half quart of oil and condensation from pooling up in the intake manifold, and just that much less crud not making it to the valves.

It may not be the cure all, end all for everything that ails an engine, but it sure seems like a worthy addition. I understand how some feel it is not necessary, in theory, but for the reality I have to face with my vehicle, it was a good addition.

#3429051 - 07/19/14 07:09 AM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: sciphi]
rjundi Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Turbos have been around for a long time. I'd trust a major OEM like Ford to get it right, especially in a truck.

My turbo (but not DI) Cruze is doing fine at 89k miles, most of those highway miles at 55-60 mph.

A lot more to turbo's then the part itself. Subaru has been doing it forever(1980ish) but mucked up tuning on my specific model(legacy gt/outback xt 2.5L) leading to this(burned valves):

My turbo is perfect though!! Interestingly the tuned Subaru's do not suffer this fate apparently so Subaru mucked up factory tune is a likely culprit.

#3429084 - 07/19/14 07:41 AM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: tangojetta]
sciphi Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
True, tuning does play a large part in how reliable the engine is. I hope that the OEM's would stand behind the products they sell. Although that's up to the dealer first, and not every dealer is equal.

#3429213 - 07/19/14 10:58 AM Re: Ecoboost or Not. [Re: TiredTrucker]
Nate1979 Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
It probably is a sure thing that a catch can won't catch everything, but the right can will catch a mighty amount of gunk that would have went to the intake. The catch can I have on my 5.3L in my Silverado captured enough in 13,000 miles to fill a 16 oz drinking water bottle to the top. So it prevented at least a half quart of oil and condensation from pooling up in the intake manifold, and just that much less crud not making it to the valves.

It may not be the cure all, end all for everything that ails an engine, but it sure seems like a worthy addition. I understand how some feel it is not necessary, in theory, but for the reality I have to face with my vehicle, it was a good addition.

Was that in the summer or winter? I recently installed a catch can (Conceptual Polymer brand) on my Silverado but dont catch nearly as much as you.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >