Am I Severe Driver? 2014 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Mustang GT with 420 bhp 5.0L with 8 Qt Oil Capacity.
Oil Life Monitor with Maximum OCI of 10,000 miles or 12 months.
5W20 Conventional.

I think I may be beating on it a little to much. It only took me 1630 miles to drop OLM to 33%.
Think I should consider upgrading to synthetic?

The iOLM does not know the difference between conventional and synthetic.

Just continue your normal routine. How many miles on your GT?

Its still on factory fill (1630 miles). Im hoping Ford has a break-in mode thats calling for an early change.
I was hoping the OLM wasnt calling for an early change because Im overheating the oil. It doesnt have an oil cooler as its not a Track Pack Car.

I hazard a guess the early change is due to time. If the iOLM was reset about 8 months ago that would give you the calculation of 33% oil life left.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I hazard a guess the early change is due to time. If the iOLM was reset about 8 months ago that would give you the calculation of 33% oil life left.

Maybe. The 2011 didnt track with time, maybe Ford has updated the algorithm. It is interesting Ford puts 5W50 in cars with the oil coolers and 5w20 in cars without.

Wouldn't think a normally aspirated 5 liter V8 would be that tough on a motor oil.

The Motorcraft semi syn in it is usually pretty good oil.

But I'd definitely move to a full synthetic if I were concerned about it.

M1 5W-20 might be a good option.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
You better off switching to mc 5w50

Thats not true. Just saw a UOA on another 2014 GT with 5w20 MC syn blend and there was almost no wear indicators in the oil. If you used the overly heavy 5w50 for non track use the wear would likely be higher due to the poor flow characteristics of the 50 grade oil when cold.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
I read an article in car @ driver and they said the dealer switch it to 5w50 and no lost I'm hp

Horsepower isn't the concern it's that a 50 grade doesn't protect better than a 20 grade oil if temperatures aren't elevated.

If I was going heavier it would likely be M1 0W40 but I am more worried about temperature stability at 250f than viscosity at 300F as Im not doing long open track sessions at Barber or Atlanta.

As stated maybe Ford has added a time clock but at 10+ months since the build date it should be reading closer to 13% instead of 33%.

Last edited:
I would sample a few changes. Just to be safe. And I would run a good syn in that beast no matter what oci you went with. my versa always gets syn and only 6000km intervals. id be even more cautious with that car. Now give us some pics
smile.gif

More info on how you drive would help us. Right now we can only speculate. Are you actually beating on the car, or are you taking it easy as you break it in?

If it was my car, I'd follow the OLM and probably would go with Motorcraft 5w-20. Or if I felt like I was beating on it a little much, I might move up to a quality full synthetic like QSUD, and just buy a couple OCIs worth when it's on sale.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: dave1251

Maybe. The 2011 didnt track with time, maybe Ford has updated the algorithm. It is interesting Ford puts 5W50 in cars with the oil coolers and 5w20 in cars without.

Yes the OCI is dictated at a max time interval of 1 year.

My non-intelligent OLM in my 2010 F150 will give a indication for a oil change after 6 months regardless of miles.

How much did this car cost? If you changed oil 3 times a year you wouldn't be broke and you wouldn't have to worry about the engine either. For the life of me I still don't understand why some people want to go XX,XXX miles between oil changes??? I know I'll get this rammed down my throat, but it still doesn't make sense to me, even if the oil change cost $80/$100, you would still be better off than stretching it to the max. And I still don't trust the OLM's......just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back