Guide me in buying a firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
I wouldn't let a short term problem dictate the purchase. .22 will be available. I'm sure you can find some in the area, maybe a little high. .223 is going to guarantee you'll be paying $.30/round.

I wish! Cheapes I could find was a box of 20 rounds for $25 ...

Midway and Natchez has XM193 for $9.99/20 right now and that's still higher than you can find shopping around.

There are several B/A rifles on the market right now with scopes for well under $400. .308 or.30-06 would be the least expensive ammo for any one of them.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: hatt
I wouldn't let a short term problem dictate the purchase. .22 will be available. I'm sure you can find some in the area, maybe a little high. .223 is going to guarantee you'll be paying $.30/round.

I wish! Cheapes I could find was a box of 20 rounds for $25 ...

Patience. .22 will be back at regular price soon. I can get it all day at $.10/rd here. Which is too high.

If you were talking about .223, I meant .223 will be at least around $.30/rd, best case scenario. .22 bulk packs will be under $.05/rd. .22 will allow you much more shooting.

Last edited:
Not sure how far you plan on shooting but a lever action might be a cool alternative to a bolt action. There are plenty of pistol caliber Winchester 92 type carbines in 357 mag/38 special.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Not sure how far you plan on shooting but a lever action might be a cool alternative to a bolt action. There are plenty of pistol caliber Winchester 92 type carbines in 357 mag/38 special.

Yes Indeed.

And in .44mag or Long Colt .45 they make for great Deerguns for the thick woods of the north east.

Last edited:
If hunting is a "maybe" consideration, but not a primary consideration; don't rule out a pistol-caliber carbine. Marlin used to make a .357 lever gun, and does presently make a .44 magnum. Most states will allow you to hunt deer w/357, and definitely with a 44. Your range will be shorter (>120 yds.) than with rifle calibers, but most NE states are forested, and ranges short.
Semi-suto pistol carbines are fun to shoot and are cheaper to feed than anything aside from a .22, which will be tight for some time to come (they make very little profit on it).
IIRC, Just Right Carbines are made somewhere along the Southern Tier. They come in 9mm, .40, and .45. I have (and really enjoy) my HI-POINT 40S&W. Great gun, but won't get much love from non-owners.
Learn to reload, and you can make a plinking 357 round for as little as $11.50/box. 40 S&W is a little less per round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back