Replace PCV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need your thoughts on replacing the PCV on my '07 Focus. Car has 136,xxx miles on the clock and as the second owner I've had the car for about a year. As far as I've been able to tell the previous owner used Mobil 1 and that's what I also use with 6-7000 mile OCIs. So, the question is do you think I should change the PCV? The engine does not use any oil and runs very well. I ask about replacing the PCV because if I don't have to it will save me a lot of work as the PCV is a PITA to get to.

I think it should be part of regular maintenance. You have nothing to loose. Its usually under $20 for one. I got an Honda OEM unit for my Accord for around $25 shipped to my door. They are an easy install and will only help your engine. Cheap insurance!

Yes, just be careful when removing the old one. A lot of times they come flying out of there then end up falling into the engine compartment.
smile.gif

It's a special order but Oreillys can have a Motorcraft PCV valve within 24 hours for $15.99. Change it.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Oxigen sensor is more important since this can affect durability of pcv valve

What?

I see no reason to rush out and replace it, but next time you are wrenching under the hood, you might as well.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Yes, just be careful when removing the old one. A lot of times they come flying out of there then end up falling into the engine compartment.
smile.gif

Yes! This ^^^
wink.gif

You know I never did find that thing.

Replacement cost is not the issue. The guys that designed the motor didn't give much thought to having to service it. Unfortunately the PCV is on the back side of the block facing the firewall. You have to remove some engine bits before you can get to the PCV so it's not a simple plug in job.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Oxigen sensor is more important since this can affect durability of pcv valve

What?

I second this "What?" I guess I could understand this if a lazy O2 sensor was causing the engine to run rich constantly... But... I wouldn't go chasing down O2 issues that don't exists.. typically you only mess with the O2 sensor if you have a code for a rich/lean condition, or are getting poor MPG. The OP did not bring either of these up..

To the OP: replacing a PCV is probably a good thing to do every 30-60k miles depending on the health of the engine.. in your case 60k or longer is probably fine.. since its not burning oil.. my saturn burns oil, I try to replace them every 30k. (realistically they can probably last much longer than 30-60k ESPECIALLY on newer more efficient cars.)

Are there any tricks for pulling out tight PCVs? I recently changed my first out of a '95 Camry. Even with twisting it was like trying to rip a tooth out of a lion. I actually broke off the neck with pliers and had to pry the rest out of the gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back