Recent Topics
Jeweler recommendation?
by mcrn
12/22/14 12:45 AM
Ford 4.2L V6 Engine - Pics - Uneven varnish?
by Reddy45
12/22/14 12:00 AM
Purolator L14476 cut-open 12K miles
by filb14
12/21/14 11:08 PM
Whose online - Forum Stats
by 285south
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Which oil can go 5K without causing varnish?
by Merkava_4
12/21/14 09:52 PM
switched oils and no more consumption
by ram_man
12/21/14 08:31 PM
High miles but new seals - HM or straight syn?
by natenkiki2004
12/21/14 08:30 PM
Low-friction Engine Oil
by Koz1
12/21/14 08:22 PM
Changing my opinion on CVTs - I kind of like them!
by Miller88
12/21/14 08:00 PM
Recent discovery about MAC sockets
by Merkava_4
12/21/14 07:29 PM
Last Night's Dinner
by Pop_Rivit
12/21/14 06:06 PM
Holiday Roadtrip To-Do's
by gathermewool
12/21/14 05:58 PM
Newest Members
consolidated, mike_a, dlayman, BRader, GuySir
52259 Registered Users
Who's Online
43 registered (aa1986, Bandito440, asand1, 2010_FX4, 901Memphis, AdRock, 2 invisible), 764 Guests and 220 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
52259 Members
66 Forums
223770 Topics
3549067 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#3426237 - 07/16/14 07:22 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: GumbyJarvis]
grampi Offline

Loc: OH
There's nothing wrong with using K&N filters...worst case scenario you'll get no gain...they aren't going to lose any power, and you aren't going to noticed any difference in filtering abilities compared to paper elements in terms of engine life...the exaggerated claims of lousy filtering are just that...

#3426245 - 07/16/14 07:35 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: grampi]
badtlc Offline

Loc: KC
Originally Posted By: grampi
There's nothing wrong with using K&N filters...worst case scenario you'll get no gain...they aren't going to lose any power, and you aren't going to noticed any difference in filtering abilities compared to paper elements in terms of engine life...the exaggerated claims of lousy filtering are just that...

They aren't "claims." K&N filters are lousy filters compared to just about everything else. That has been proven in ISO tests over and over. Whether or not the lousy filtration will affect engine life, or the extent to which it does affect engine life is up for debate. No proof they will significantly shorten an engine life that I have seen but it is not deniable they are terrible filters.

#3426269 - 07/16/14 07:57 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: badtlc]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: badtlc
[quote=grampi]No proof they will significantly shorten an engine life that I have seen but it is not deniable they are terrible filters.

So which is it, your sentence contradicts itself? Saying a filter that doesn't filter quite as well as a paper element is terrible is an exaggeration...K&Ns are a compromise filter...they allow ever so slightly more to get into your engine, but at a much higher flow rate, and they never need to be replaced...that doesn't sound like a terrible filter to me...you're also exaggerating about how bad they're filtering abilities are...I've seen the tests...yes the paper elements filter better, but what the K&Ns let through is negligible...I've yet to see it proven that engine wear is higher on K&N filtered engines so your claims of them being lousy filters is also an exaggeration......

Edited by grampi (07/16/14 08:03 AM)

#3426327 - 07/16/14 09:22 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: grampi]
badtlc Offline

[quote=grampi]No proof they will significantly shorten an engine life that I have seen but it is not deniable they are terrible filters.

So which is it, your sentence contradicts itself? Saying a filter that doesn't filter quite as well as a paper element is terrible is an exaggeration...K&Ns are a compromise filter...they allow ever so slightly more to get into your engine, but at a much higher flow rate, and they never need to be replaced...that doesn't sound like a terrible filter to me...you're also exaggerating about how bad they're filtering abilities are...I've seen the tests...yes the paper elements filter better, but what the K&Ns let through is negligible...I've yet to see it proven that engine wear is higher on K&N filtered engines so your claims of them being lousy filters is also an exaggeration......

You don't see the difference in filtration and engine life? Seriously? You are just trolling now.

In case you are just that ignorant, terrible is a relative term and K&N filters are terrible in comparison. Letting in 400-500% more dust/dirt is terrible. You can use your own words but my word for that is terrible.

Edited by badtlc (07/16/14 09:26 AM)

#3426335 - 07/16/14 09:30 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: grampi]
OVERKILL Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
K&Ns are a compromise filter...they allow ever so slightly more to get into your engine, but at a much higher flow rate, and they never need to be replaced...

OK, but why choose to do something like that when you could just fit a paper filter with more media and retain stock filtration performance and increased air flow?

OR

Install something like a Donaldson PowerCore which flows more than stock OR the K&N, filters better than both of them, and is also basically a lifetime filter, particularly in an automotive application.

shrug

Widman posted some pics a while back of PowerCore retrofits on some vehicles and I was really impressed with his thought process. They are arguably the best air filter out there, the issue seems to be they lack the "bling" of a gauze filter/CAI setup. And of course they are pretty large. But then so are many of the big cone/heat shield combo's that get installed.
06 Charger R/T

#3426353 - 07/16/14 10:19 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: badtlc]
grampi Offline

You don't see the difference in filtration and engine life? Seriously? You are just trolling now.

In case you are just that ignorant, terrible is a relative term and K&N filters are terrible in comparison. Letting in 400-500% more dust/dirt is terrible. You can use your own words but my word for that is terrible.

Like I said, prove that K&Ns contribute to premature engine wear, otherwise, go away...if they are as bad as you claim then it should be an easy task...

#3426354 - 07/16/14 10:21 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: OVERKILL]
grampi Offline

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
K&Ns are a compromise filter...they allow ever so slightly more to get into your engine, but at a much higher flow rate, and they never need to be replaced...

OK, but why choose to do something like that when you could just fit a paper filter with more media and retain stock filtration performance and increased air flow?

OR

Install something like a Donaldson PowerCore which flows more than stock OR the K&N, filters better than both of them, and is also basically a lifetime filter, particularly in an automotive application.

shrug

Widman posted some pics a while back of PowerCore retrofits on some vehicles and I was really impressed with his thought process. They are arguably the best air filter out there, the issue seems to be they lack the "bling" of a gauze filter/CAI setup. And of course they are pretty large. But then so are many of the big cone/heat shield combo's that get installed.

The Donaldsons sound like a good alternative to K&Ns...just never heard of them...I will look into them...

#3426357 - 07/16/14 10:23 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: grampi]
OVERKILL Offline

OR

shrug

The Donaldsons sound like a good alternative to K&Ns...just never heard of them...I will look into them...

Here's Richard's (widman) thread with some pics:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2131630
06 Charger R/T

#3426385 - 07/16/14 10:54 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: SteveSRT8]
meep Offline

Loc: Southeast
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: MCompact
The effectiveness of a CAI depends on the individual vehicle; I picked up @24 bhp when I installed a Mazdaspeed CAI on my MS3; the 30-70 mph 3rd gear times dropped by 0.61 seconds. In contrast, a CAI makes absolutely no difference on my 1995 3er; I was lucky to pick up 12 bhp with a Turner/Conforti chip...

Times a million.

My car gets 10 of its hp from a factory modded air intake that is radically different from a regular 5.7 car. A 'snoot' will add virtually nothing but noise.

On my personal Silverado it was good for a full one mpg!

Steve--- the 1mpg on your silverado -- I assume this is from a modded factory box? do tell-- I'd be interested!

on topic--

I've done a K&N cone years ago and did end up with a very fine powder, after many thousands of miles, on the intake tract. I never had problems with MAF fouling.

I saw a dirt bike with K&N start in the morning, run all day in the dust, and have inadequate compression to start (verified by gauge) at the end of the day. had to be bored, honed, and re-piston/ringed. I loved the sound of the K&N cone in the vehicle it was in, and the throttle response was "snappier" but no gains in performance or mpg. I have had more success with insulating factory intakes and modding the airbox in cases where they'd breathe warm engine air instead of grill air.

I commend the OP for wrenching on his own ride! Even if this mod doesn't live up to the hype---- ALL of us at some point or another did a mod that didn't work out great - it's how we learn.

-M

#3426386 - 07/16/14 10:54 AM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: OVERKILL]
grampi Offline

OR

shrug

Here's Richard's (widman) thread with some pics:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2131630

I went to their website and unfortunately they don't have a vehicle application guide...

#3426513 - 07/16/14 01:19 PM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: grampi]
badtlc Offline

Like I said, prove that K&Ns contribute to premature engine wear, otherwise, go away...if they are as bad as you claim then it should be an easy task...

You obviously don't read very well.

#3426522 - 07/16/14 01:29 PM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: badtlc]
grampi Offline

Neither do you...

#3426529 - 07/16/14 01:33 PM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: grampi]
OVERKILL Offline

I went to their website and unfortunately they don't have a vehicle application guide...

Correct, you have to look at the size of the filter and figure out what would fit in the space required. Their primary market is HD Diesel trucks, earth moving equipment....etc.
06 Charger R/T

#3426547 - 07/16/14 01:46 PM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: meep]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: MCompact
The effectiveness of a CAI depends on the individual vehicle; I picked up @24 bhp when I installed a Mazdaspeed CAI on my MS3; the 30-70 mph 3rd gear times dropped by 0.61 seconds. In contrast, a CAI makes absolutely no difference on my 1995 3er; I was lucky to pick up 12 bhp with a Turner/Conforti chip...

Times a million.

My car gets 10 of its hp from a factory modded air intake that is radically different from a regular 5.7 car. A 'snoot' will add virtually nothing but noise.

On my personal Silverado it was good for a full one mpg!

Steve--- the 1mpg on your silverado -- I assume this is from a modded factory box? do tell-- I'd be interested!

on topic--

I've done a K&N cone years ago and did end up with a very fine powder, after many thousands of miles, on the intake tract. I never had problems with MAF fouling.

I saw a dirt bike with K&N start in the morning, run all day in the dust, and have inadequate compression to start (verified by gauge) at the end of the day. had to be bored, honed, and re-piston/ringed. I loved the sound of the K&N cone in the vehicle it was in, and the throttle response was "snappier" but no gains in performance or mpg. I have had more success with insulating factory intakes and modding the airbox in cases where they'd breathe warm engine air instead of grill air.

I commend the OP for wrenching on his own ride! Even if this mod doesn't live up to the hype---- ALL of us at some point or another did a mod that didn't work out great - it's how we learn.

-M

Agreed with all points.

As for the Silverado, this is my personal truck out of my fleet. It is an 05 with the 5.3.

I purchased an AFE cold air intake for it and got an honest 1 mpg across the board with no other changes of any kind. The truck is as stock and original as can be otherwise. 135k miles and still running strong...
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3426568 - 07/16/14 02:12 PM Re: K&N Cool Air intake, '13 2.0L Dart [Re: grampi]
badtlc Offline

Neither do you...

Such as?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >