2013 Suzuki SFV650 Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Bales filter adapter, http://balestech.com/filter.htm , opens up your filter choice to Honda or the common PH/ST7317 filter and Rotella 15w40 is all you'll need. Change both every 3k or so, and other things on the bike will break before the engine does. Who can complain about a 15-16 dollar oil change?

Originally Posted By: beanoil
A Bales filter adapter, http://balestech.com/filter.htm , opens up your filter choice to Honda or the common PH/ST7317 filter and Rotella 15w40 is all you'll need. Change both every 3k or so, and other things on the bike will break before the engine does. Who can complain about a 15-16 dollar oil change?

Which one would I use for the 2013 SFV650?

Originally Posted By: webfors

Well there is only one Bales adapter for Suzuki, and Honda has one filter that covers 99.9 percent of their bikes. The PH7317 and it's little brother the PH6607, (Honda/Nissan, other import apps) has the same thread size. Many Honda ST and Wing guys use the car filter for their bikes with no harm. I put the Bales adapter on a 600 GSX-R a while back. That rider is running a PH6607 because of header clearance issues. The point of the conversion is to get away from Suzuki's goofy thread size, and open up more common and less expensive filters for use.

Well there is only one Bales adapter for Suzuki, and Honda has one filter that covers 99.9 percent of their bikes. The PH7317 and it's little brother the PH6607, (Honda/Nissan, other import apps) has the same thread size. Many Honda ST and Wing guys use the car filter for their bikes with no harm. I put the Bales adapter on a 600 GSX-R a while back. That rider is running a PH6607 because of header clearance issues. The point of the conversion is to get away from Suzuki's goofy thread size, and open up more common and less expensive filters for use.

I received my Suzuki filters and they remind me of the Subaru Tokyo Roki's from the past. Very well built, silicon ADBV, solid weight to them indicating significant pleating (which you can see through the top). I don't know what the efficiency ratings are for this filter however.

The only reason I would go with the adapter is to run a Fram Ultra.

I see two, the original and one for the 2012 DL650 or later.

Is the original the one I need for the 2013 SFV650?

Suzuki has a very high quality oil filter as does HiFiltro. Buy either one. As far as oil Suzuki and Suzuki synthetic oils are both good. If you read the Amsoil motorcycle white paper test you will find the Suzuki syn oil is actually strong across the board. Also look on Amazon for 10w40 Castrol Racing RS syn. It can be had for about $44 w/free ship for a case of 6. That is about $7.50 a qt along will full certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back