Fuel Gauge Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen this before, and couldn't find any info. My Impala's fuel gauge is a little quirky. WAIT, keep reading. It does NOT fluctuate while running. It only seems to fluctuate when the key is in the on position, but NOT running. And no, it's not because fuel is still sloshing around in the tank. When I check, it's always after the car has sat for 8 or more hours. It fluctuates no more than a 1/4 tank in either direction of the accurate level. I always run premium fuel without ethanol (91 tune) and frequently (every ~3k) use a bottle of Techron. What could this be and should I be concerned? Or is this a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of thing (especially considering GM's history with fuel gauges)?

Personally I wouldn't touch it, but that is only because I am cheap. I would just watch the trip odometer and never go more than 300 miles without filling up.

Also, I would save a few dollars by running Techron every 5-6K miles unless you already know that you have a fuel system related problem.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Also, I would save a few dollars by running Techron every 5-6K miles unless you already know that you have a fuel system related problem.
I do have a problem. Not having a serviceable fuel filter is a problem. Lol. But seriously, I plan to keep this car for a LONG time. Throwing a few extra bucks at it for extra protection gives me peace of mind.

I'd guess that the sender or gauge is getting low/intermittent voltage. How's your battery ? Connections to the sender/gauge OK ?

A few months ago, my Impala's fuel gauge would go from either FULL to EMPTY very randomly. At night the low fuel light would come up on the screen and annoy me knowing it was close to full. After awhile I wanted to clear the light and actually see how much fuel I still had, and replaced it with an AC Delco unit. Found out 2 of the 3 fuel level sensing tabs had worn/dissolved not even touching the sensing strip. It was worth the $300 to fix it at home.

IIRC, a couple years ago, Pilot had problems with the gasoline they sold having a high sulfur content that played havoc with a variety of systems in cars that had used it. They ended up paying for several customers cars to be repaired. I believe fuel senders were one of the commonly failed items.

I don't know how they found out, but thought this seemed relevant.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I do have a problem. Not having a serviceable fuel filter is a problem. Lol. But seriously, I plan to keep this car for a LONG time. Throwing a few extra bucks at it for extra protection gives me peace of mind.

Understood, I hate not having a serviceable fuel filter!!!!!!!! I remember the aftermarket one that I put in my first car (82 Plymouth Sapporo) was clear and had a magnet on it. After 10k miles that magnet was totally covered with junk.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
IIRC, a couple years ago, Pilot had problems with the gasoline they sold having a high sulfur content that played havoc with a variety of systems in cars that had used it. They ended up paying for several customers cars to be repaired. I believe fuel senders were one of the commonly failed items.

I don't know how they found out, but thought this seemed relevant.

My battery is 11 months old. Don't remember what type but it was a NAPA, and I think it had a 75 month warranty. Not sure on the connections, and honestly, I'm not sure where to look. But I always get my fuel from my local grocery store, and after some digging, I found out it is Valero fuel. I've never had problems before. Buf if it's the sending unit or connections, wouldn't they be affected at all times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back