You would not think this could happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I’m along time reader first time poster. I have had a rather bad luck, really unusual and rather unique issues. I have googled this one but it would seem that I am the only one in the whole wide world from the beginning of time that has done this……..and that is, Well I was doing a oil and filter change the other day when I had to take a phone call. At the time of the call I was half way through pouring the oil into my 08 VQ370VHR engine filler hole. After I placed the oil can on the ground I stepped over the can and received the phone from my wife. Once the phone call finished I went back to my almost completed job of the oil change… So as the oils about to come out of the can I here this tick tick, tick ting!!!! OMG After a short time of thinking about it I have coming to the conclusion that when I stepped over the can of oil a small stone must of fallen from the sole of my shoes and landed on the top of the oil can, so as I tilted the can it rolled down and landed in the cone then into the engine!!!! You can say at the time I was lost for words well kind of. I had a look in the hole couldn’t see anything, shrugged my shoulders and continued to pour oil. I was just thinking nothing I can do anything about this. The engine only has 25000 K’s on it. I use the recommended ester ( based,added) Nissan oil with a veruspeed oil filter. I’m told by some mechanics not to worry as the stone maybe sitting in the filter of in the sump by now etc. All I can think of is the DLC coating getting sand all over it.
I did start the car and have been driving it. Its sounds just fine and performing just like normal.
The only thing I can think of is a new ea amoil filter?or is the veruspeed just as good?, an oil change is out of the question right at the mo as I have to wait about 2 week for the dealer to import it from Japan at around $500 for 16 liters.
Any wise and experienced ideas of have I or will it killed my really nice car.
Thanks for your time and now when people Google “ I have a stone in my engine “they will get one result

Last edited:
A good filter should catch any debris. Is the oil fill hole in the valve cover? how hard is that to remove and look for it? If its big enough to rattle the pickup screen should prevent it being picked up, as well as the weight of it should keep it on the bottom of the pan if it makes it there.

Last edited:
If it was small enough to get down the return holes in the head it is sitting right in the bottom of the oil pan.
The screen is fine enough not to let something that size through and into the pump where it would cause damage.

Chances are it will not dissolve in the oil either so its going to sit there till the next OC or forever.
It would be very remote that it fell somewhere in the head where it could get mechanically beaten and cause damage.
Don't sweat it.

Thank you for the fast replies! I think the hole is over the valve cover so it was possible to remove but me being a dumb arse just started it up. I’m very sure the stone is very small, other stones in my shed are around 2/3 mms. They get picked up by my tyres and deposited on the floor. I didn’t even see it go in I just heard the noise. At looking at the cone filler I could see small amounts of dirt so that’s want convinced me it was in the hole. I have learnt some things from this bad experience one thing make sure you sweep the floor for a start! Thanks so much.

I would pull the valve cover; if it is gone, it's gone but it may still be sitting there.

It's too bad that he didn't pull the valve cover because my guess is that it still would have been sitting there near the fill hole or on the oil splash plate that is sitting underneath the fill hole IF he hadn't started the vehicle.

In this country nissan oils come in 4 liter cans. Every other oil is in plastic bottels. The cans seem to come straight from japan (Japanese writing on them) Even that super nissan ester oil has a different part number than in the states..

I know .Im a right cock to have started it up but I did. I was so [censored] off that it had happen to me i wasn't thinking straight at the Time.

Originally Posted By: 370gt

I know .Im a right cock to have started it up but I did. I was so [censored] off that it had happen to me i wasn't thinking straight at the Time.

Not really because most folks would think the trouble to remove and inspect for that pebble wouldn't be worth the effort, and it may not have stayed in an accessible area.

What happened is just one of those things, I can relate because my luck is about as good as yours.

By the way, do you Kiwis say "mate" like your Aussie cousins do?
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Not really because most folks would think the trouble to remove and inspect for that pebble wouldn't be worth the effort, and it may not have stayed in an accessible area.

What happened is just one of those things, I can relate because my luck is about as good as yours.

By the way, do you Kiwis say "mate" like your Aussie cousins do?
beer3.gif

Thanks for that your too nice. Yeah we say mate same as Aussie. Some more than others just depends on what area you are from and what school you went to.

Thanks for that your too nice. Yeah we say mate same as Aussie. Some more than others just depends on what area you are from and what school you went to.

So when you're playing chess, do you have to say check mate and check mate mate to avoid confusion?

Originally Posted By: 7055

So when you're playing chess, do you have to say check mate and check mate mate to avoid confusion?

lol. I do play chess but have never seen an Australian play the game.
I'm guessing they would say "mate that is check"

Aha. Murphy is alive in New Zealand as well as every other place on Earth, in our solar system and in the universe. I wouldn't be too concerned. Oil flow to the top of the engine will probably wash that rock into the oil sump or it will find a home on a baffle. I have had a few of these oh *&%# occurrences myself. Regards to you sir.

Thanks mate, cars seems to be going just fine fuel economy seems to be the same. Man I lost some sleep thou.

I have just order another 4 cans of 4 litres per can total $420 NZ (incl tax) of Nissans ester oil. Part number klam2-05304-03 this is not the same part number as the Sates as its ordered out of Japan. Going to do OC with just about 1300 k's on the clock since the stone drama. I also will get an oil analysis done. This could be a little bit tricky as they have never come across this oil before so I will need to supply as much info about the oil as possible (need help any links thanks in advance) they tell me they are excited about the oil lol. I know some don't like the oil but I'm not a hard driver so I do what is recommend by the maker of the engine.
My logic is if the stone doesn't fall out in the oil drain pan and I have a very high silicon reading in the oil analysis result the pebble got smashed up in the engine. If the oil result is ok and no stone that would mean stone still in engine some where....
Me being me that would mean engine cover off and a mechanic checking the oil Gallery's etc. my wife loves the car
crazy.gif
even more

Last edited:
Yea I wouldn't have started that engine if I suspected that something other then oil went into the filler hole. I would have ripped apart the block in search of that tink tink tink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back