Wagner Thermoquiet - NO shims but i used shims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered some Wagner thermoquiet pads for my neighbors car today and notice that shims were not included. I reused the shims from her old pads and i also applied some dampening grease between the pads and shim. I just did some research and it said these pads do not need any shims or grease. Now im kicking myself for not doing a quick google before installation. The brakes did feel "mushy" during the test drive...now im thinking of asking her to let me take the shims off.....

Thoughts???

OE design comes with shims, then you should use shims (vibration reduction).

OE design comes without shims (rarely these days), then no shims needed.

Q.

I've been using the Wager ThermoQuiet line of brakes for quite a while now, most have their special sound insulator (they have some silly name for it that I don't recall) built in. I've never used shims with them and never had a noise problem. I've probably installed 20 sets of these pads, never had a problem. But I honestly don't know how they would react with shims, my guess is they would be fine. As long as they clipped on OK and were not moving around I probably would not remove them. Shrug.

Some Wagner TQ pads do use shims, but they will be installed on the pads. I had a discussion with a factory rep and he told me that some calipers have thin walled pistons, which will 'punch through' the insulating layer, so Wagner use shims to prevent this.

Originally Posted By: Quest
OE design comes with shims, then you should use shims (vibration reduction).

OE design comes without shims (rarely these days), then no shims needed.

Q.

That's an oversimplification and incorrect in this case.

Like others have stated, the Thermoquiet pads have their own special noise abating material already applied and require no shims or grease. Their back is not flat like a typical pad and have no place to properly attach a shim- increasing the chance of one dropping down and cutting into the rotor hat. And yes, it can happen.

@ Eric:

My dealings with Wagner thermoquiets mainly with toys (corollas, camrys), and none of them comes with those so-called abatements at the back of the pads.

Granted, unless they have made changes recently, my dealings with Wagner TQ was about 4+yrs ago, and I had to go get additional shims for all the toys I dealt with (and never again bought TQ after that, for I can get the full-meal deal from Monroe instead).

I've stopped using Wagner TQ since, now mostly ATE or Monroe ceramics.

Q.

I've used the Thermoquiets as is, out of the box, no shims, no grease on the back of them many, many times, and never had any issues.

Sometimes it pays to read the installation instructions or the box. This is one of those cases...

Yup, many applications of Thermoquiets don't come with shims and instead have a built-in insulator that's molded onto the back of the pad.

You can read about it here:
http://www.tqbrakepads.com/product_technology/

I bought some not too long ago and returned them and instead bought 089 series Beck/Arnley pads that use OE friction material.

I know the instructions say that the shims and grease aren't required, but do you guys actually skip the grease as well?

I put some green Permatex caliper grease on the pad back for a Civic (without the shims) and after a few months, I hear a slight noise, could that be it? I greased up the caliper pins (Silicone Paste) while I was there so I don't think they're stuck or binding there.

I'm gonna open it back up, but I'm trying to decide to clean off the grease and leave it dry, or add more grease.

with the older TQ pads: I've tried, w/o success, both with high-temp permatex grease and w/o, and it didn't make much difference in reality.

I gave up on TQ pads back then due to some customer's complaints after a month or 2 of use (fresh new rotors,etc.) mainly due to noise.

All of the noise issues related to TQ pads were promptly solved with new rotors and new OE Spec pads (conventional ceramics, with shims as per OE designed).

You can give it a try and see if it gives you trouble in a few month's time (w or w/o grease).

Q.

Alright, I cleaned them out yesterday. It seemed to be the right front brake that made the noise, but I went ahead and cleaned both sides. I reapplied the green grease to the left front pad backs, and left the right front completely dry.

We'll see if it comes back.

Grease the pins and sliders yes. The lube you put on the back side of the pad isn't needed as stated by others on TQ pads. The backing plate is designed to be put on without anything else. If you get a pad set and notice the plate has dimples that is the area for vibration and noise reduction. The smaller pads that are flat on the backing plate have shim material built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back