Timing belt has only 24k on it, but is 7 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
I would replace the tensioner along with the belt. Only because I have had a couple ones that rattled and used up their lube. Doan wan no seized tensioner bearing.

Not very likely at only 20k. In his case maybe two belts to every tensioner/idler.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The interval on the timing belt on the M 20 in the 528e is 4 yrs/60 K. After several changes at that interval, I have concluded that it is very conservative. My last TB interval was 7 yrs/75 k. I would replace the tensioner along with the belt. Only because I have had a couple ones that rattled and used up their lube. Doan wan no seized tensioner bearing. A Conti kit,hecho in Mexico is 35$ belt and tensioner. It is a 4-6 hr drive way job on the 528e. The Enchanter did one in 2 hrs one day he said. He works at a shop.
Can you get a good look at the TB easily? The last one I changed had cracks but was otherwise intact. For the cost in parts ,a change gave me peace of mind.

There is no easy way to look at the belt, tensioner was replaced with it as well. The only way I even get an idea of what it might look like is the external belts, which are not cracked at all, though one of them has a little bit of fray.

$1000 (typical price for complete job, incl tensioner, h2o pump, etc) ÷ 7 years = $144/yr or $12/mo...the cost of doing business with a timing belt....

Newer belts are made of Kevlar...check with your dealer for any "upgrade" in terms of miles/years for the new replacement belt.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
$1000 (typical price for complete job, incl tensioner, h2o pump, etc) ÷ 7 years = $144/yr or $12/mo...the cost of doing business with a timing belt....

Newer belts are made of Kevlar...check with your dealer for any "upgrade" in terms of miles/years for the new replacement belt.

$1,000 for a timing belt job!?

Must be one tough timing belt, do they have to pull the engine or something?

Do the work yourself and with the money saved, buy SNAP-ON tools.
smile.gif

I purchased a 1994 Honda Accord with 74,000 miles on it in '99. Do you think the dealer or previous owner ever changed the timing belt? I traded it in 8 years and 200,000 miles later with having never changed the timing belt. The car I purchased was a 1996 Accord, with a broken speed sensor and an odometer stuck at 168,000 miles. I owned it for 6 years and never changed the timing belt, it probably had between 250,000 and 300,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I don't know if the previous owner ever changed it, but based on the coolant that leaked from the water pump I'd say not; the dealer that sold it to me sure as [censored] didn't change it, I couldn't get them to fix the speed sensor or a check engine light that were two bad O2 sensors. However, in spite of that glowing report on two Accord timing belts, my cousin's 1989 Honda Prelude's timing belt broke on the highway at 105,000 miles. Even though it was an interrupt engine, this incident somehow did no damage to the valves or pistons and the mechanic was amazed. Most would be amazed that I've seen two cars with nearly 300,000 miles on them and one for sure that never had it's timing belt changed. Have a trusted mechanic inspect it and see if they think it needs changed.

Last edited:
I had my first TB change done by a shop at 180k. I assumed that the belt had been changed every 60 K. The belt the mechanic handed me was frayed and worn thin. I'm not Charles Atlas, but I tore it two easily. I'm guessing it was at least 120k miles old done at the car's 60k service. Possibly even original. I started doing my own belts when I bought a pair of '86 528es in 2K. Fairly simple job on a right wheel drive car. Not so much on a side wise engine working through a wheel well.

Last edited:
I nlhave seen a pathfinder with the same engine strip the inner lamination with all the teeth out if the belt. I have seen many makes break belts as well. Its not a myth.

Consider me on the other end of the spectrum here. Around here that car is worth $300. Maybe $500. Dont even bother changing the belt. Just drive it til it breaks, which will likely be 5-15 years from now. The cost of a timing belt service is more than the car is worth if you are not doing the work yourself.

Id rather sell the car and put the money that I was going to put towards the timing belt towards a newer car.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Consider me on the other end of the spectrum here. Around here that car is worth $300. Maybe $500. Dont even bother changing the belt. Just drive it til it breaks, which will likely be 5-15 years from now. The cost of a timing belt service is more than the car is worth if you are not doing the work yourself.

Id rather sell the car and put the money that I was going to put towards the timing belt towards a newer car.

That Maxima might not be worth much on the used car market, however, if it treats the owner well, $1000 on a timing belt job may be worthwile. After all, how many low priced used cars are going to tell you how well they have held up, and how many are in need of the same timing belt replacement job, or something even worse?

The 1989-1994 was an excellent car, and many still exist on our roads despite the fact that it isn't an enthusiast car.

Given the low miles, I am sure you could stretch it to 8 years with no risk. Maybe you will be better financially at that point, or may want to do the job yourself. Companies often have time limits as a CYA on their part

I would definitely err on the side of caution and change it.
Many belts are made from EPDM rubber which are not as effected by time an heat (modern heater hose).
There are just as many Nitrile based rubber belts out there, these are the ones that age quickly and crack.

You have no way of knowing unless you can find the original specs on the belt in there.
Not to ignore the manufacturer spec but EPDM can go 10-12 years without deteriorating very much.
Just a fact of the material i am not recommending you leave it in there for 10-12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back