yellow refrigerant hose w/valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a yellow refrigerant hose with a shut off valve to use with cars and R134a. But the connectors are one size too small to connect to my manifold gauge set. Is it for the wrong refrigerant?

You can use a screw-on adapter for 134a, but I'm curious how you're tracking pressure.

Oh. Just doing this so that there is less restriction then going through gauges/manifold?

How do you monitor leaks? I'm still not getting why you would do this without a gauge.

You don't need a shutoff valve. The yellow hose that comes with the manifold set has a valve at the end of it that won't let air in when you disconnect it from the vacuum pump.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Oh. Just doing this so that there is less restriction then going through gauges/manifold?

How do you monitor leaks? I'm still not getting why you would do this without a gauge.

No - I have a set of gauges and this hose will connect to them. But when I am done pulling a vacuum I thought I would close the shutoff on this hose going to the vacuum pump.

Maybe a second one on the hose to the R134a can. So I can use 1/2 of that and close the shutoff.

Maybe I just like shutoff valves vs depending upon a the pin activated valve closing quickly.

Yeah still not getting it...

You connect the yellow hose on a set of gauges to the vac pump. The high and low go where they go. You vacuum down the system and close the valves on the gauges. Sure, the yellow hose will pull some air, but that's why you burp it once connecting to the refrigerant, before opening the gauges.

Are you trying to valve it to keep the vacuum in the yellow hose by closing it off at the far end of the hose from the manifold? I suppose it could buy you a tiny bit of moist air protection, but not much.

The valves for refrigerant cans I've always heard leak out the refrigerant and don't seal well.

There should be either a built-in shut off valve in the can (CA style cans) or in the hose adapter that pierces the tops of the cans. I don't think there's a valve in the hose adapters that pierce the sides of the cans.

BTW, I'm referring to those little 12oz. cans you get at the DIY places.

I've only successfully stored half filled cans of refrigerant that are in the CA style cans. With the other types of can adapters, the refrigerant eventually leaks out.

I don't see why you would want to or have a need to have a shut off valve in the yellow hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back