Ecoboost or Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace our 06 Ford Freestyle with 220,000 miles with a Ford Flex with 3.5 Ecoboost motor. After doing some looking around, I'm having having second thoughts about it.

The video in the link you posted is talking about the ecoboost 2.0 liter engine, not the 3.5 liter engine. Plus, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. If you want the truth I suggest you call Ford and talk to them about your concerns.

What the guy is talking about isn't so much Ecoboost in and of itself, it's the intake valve problems with GDI engines and how to safely deal with them. If I were to ever buy a GDI equipped vehicle, the first thing I'd do is buy a Mishimoto oil catch can and learn a safe method for cleaning the induction system, such as using CRCs GDI specific intake valve cleaner.

If you install a catch can you won't have the inherent issues of intake valve carboning up.

I like the ecoboost engines. Great torque.

DI and Ecoboost are not on my list of things to own. When the majority of these vehicle hit 100K then we will have a better idea how they will hold up.
It doesn't sound promising if they are really authorizing head replacements because there is no approved induction service, something doesn't sound right there.

OK, after reviewing both vids that guy posted, I guess it is an Ecoboost problem; turbos blowing up from induction cleaning. Introducing too many hydrocarbons in the engine which heats the turbos up too much and kills them.

Are there any induction/fuel system type cleaners that don't have so many petroleum distillates and are synthetic and wouldn't burn when introduced into the combustion chamber? Is that even possible??? An all PEA based cleaner perhaps, since PEA supposedly survives the combustion process and doesn't actually burn? CRCs GDI cleaner has no PEA and is petroleum distillates on steroids. It's no good in a GDI turbo engine.

part 2. Great video with visible evidence it's the PCV system that gums up the valves. The manufacturers of GDI engines are going to have to create factory oil breather tanks that are maintenance free and drain the collected condensed oil back to the oil sump. I'm pretty sure some German makes do this as you can buy replacement tanks from Purolator that have inlet and outlet barbs from the PCV line, and a barb that connects a hose to the crankcase.

Granted they're still relatively new but the only issues I've seen with the 3.5 EB engines is the moisture build up in the charge air cooler on the F150. Of course new technology scares alot of people. Maybe one manufacturer will bring out a push rod, carbureted straight six with 3 spd column shift manual for trucks and full size cars. Should sell since its "proven" technology like so many say they prefer.

Take this for what it is worth. One of my extra duty's for the department I work for is fleet manager of vehicles. Our department is transitioning from Ford CVPI's to Dodge Chargers(5.7 Hemi's). We decided to go with the Chargers after consulting with mechanics and watching the issues of our neighboring department and their Eco-Boost engines.

The neighboring department went with the Ford Interceptors and has been having quite a few problems with oil consumption, rear end issues, and turbo issues. All at less than 40,000 miles. I feel like the oil consumption and turbo issues are related to each other. I have driven the Interceptors and they are fun to drive, certainly faster than the CVPI's, but I don't see the EB engine taking a lot of long term abuse...in real world applications.

Last edited:
Good place for this question is over @ TCCA(taurusclub.com) as the flex is on the same platform as the 5th gen Taurus ( including the five hundred/montego/freestyle, and the 6th gen(current) Taurus.) Lots of guys with real world miles in Eco boost Tauri

I have a 2011 EB FX4 with 69k miles and have only replaced spark plugs (once) and filters. It gets middle grade gas and oil changes at 4k miles with Castrol Edge EP and FL500s filters. It runs stronger now than when new. I worry more about the transmission having to deal 300 - 400 + pounds of torque every day than I do the engine...
Just my experience....

Since you like to keep your vehicle past 200k, i wouldn't recommend going with something that probably doesn't have any examples at 200k yet to see how they last at that age. It might take serious repairs to get them to 200k+.

Interesting video that may have valuable information. Two points, though:

1) Does anyone else find it curious that a Ford tech would go public with potentially damaging information that Ford hasn't released yet? The guy is identifiable and even has a name tag. Maybe he's just brave.

2) He's diagnosed poor DI cold engine performance as caused by intake valve deposits. But, this is a problem associated with PORT injected engines: fuel is absorbed by carbon deposits on cold intake valves, making the mixture leaner than intended. In a DI engine, fuel never washes over the intake valves so no absorption occurs. Maybe there's another explanation but to me it seems he has mixed DI characteristics with PFI problems.

Mind you, I'd be reluctant to buy a new EcoBoost engine, too, but am not convinced this video tells the whole story.

Love both of mine.

One has been since new and 76k later nothing out of a knock sensor for the engine. Lots of power, decent fuel economy (for a 4500LB AWD sedan), and no oil consumption, turbo, or other issues with it. I fill it up with the cheapest swill I can find, change the oil at the dealer when the OLM either comes on or gets close. I did change the plugs at 75k and that's it.

The truck, got it with 43k in January, it now has 49k and no oil consumption or anything. But not really much other than that as far as history.

I fully expect at least 200k out of them both without major repairs.

I wouldn't worry - Ford has put out well over 600k of them since the middle of 2009 and failures are few and far between. I'm more worried about the 6F55 in the SHO than the Ecoboost. Although it too has given me no issues and I change the fluid every 30k.

Last edited:
We are in the 21st century and it seems ridiculous that something like the ecoboost is out of the norm and we are still playing with naturally aspirated engines. Just about everything at this point should be turbo or supercharged. Naturally aspirated diesels in vehicles are so old school and not even offered in new stuff, just not sure why gasoline hasn't gone the same route. N/A engines should be confined to kit mods, restorations, and museums. Sure the cost would be more, but in mass production the costs drop dramatically compared to aftermarket.

I would have no issues with an ecoboost vehicle. Some people are luddites and afraid of change. I'm not. We almost got a Ford f-150 ecoboost when I got my focus. We ended up with the traverse instead and have been very happy with it. But if you want an engine with lots of torque, and decent fuel economy, and a lot of go power, you can't really go wrong imo.

I'm hearing mixed reviews about the EB engines. I'm still not ready to gamble with one, and I'm a big FMC fan. In another year or two I'd consider one. Fortunately for me, I want a new vehicle I don't need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back