Delo 5W-40 Synthetic running higher oil pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed over to Delo synthetic in my 2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. It's running about 2 ticks higher oil pressure on the gauge that Mobil TDT did. Only other thing different is I used a new Fram synthetic media filter. Thoughts?

I've also seen higher oil pressure on a fresh change on my Sierra.

Was it low on the oil oil? How much came out??

No it doesn't use any oil. It has been very consistent in it's pressure readings since new. Some oils I have tried ran a little less pressure but nothing has run higher pressure, especially when hot from towing than Mobil 1.

I have same year engine in my hd. It's normal to have higher pressure after a change.
1st- oil is below operating temp..thicker oil higher pressure
2nd- oil has not been sheared yet..still thicker
3rd- delo is slightly thicker then tdt.. not much but some

When i changed from tdt to regular delvac I gained 10psi for about 1000 miles till it went back to normal 60-65psi. I did that bc i used up last of my stash and got the delvac 4 $7gal.

Simplistic,

Like I said mine is very consistent and this has not happened before so I suspect either the oil or the filter and wondering if anyone has noticed the same phenomena with either the oil or filter I am using.

I then have to ask what was your previous oil and filter. Since we have the same engine, if you're 2 marks higher on the gauge then you have increased your op by 30psi. That raises some red flags to have an op increasse that much. If you are talking hot op then...

That would lead me to wonder if
a)you had some serious fuel dilution/ thin oil
b)you had some grit/sludge...something restricting the oil pressure to the sending unit
c)the pressure releaf valve was stuck open part way

Originally Posted By: simplistic
I then have to ask what was your previous oil and filter. Since we have the same engine, if you're 2 marks higher on the gauge then you have increased your op by 30psi. That raises some red flags to have an op increasse that much. If you are talking hot op then...

That would lead me to wonder if
a)you had some serious fuel dilution/ thin oil
b)you had some grit/sludge...something restricting the oil pressure to the sending unit
c)the pressure releaf valve was stuck open part way

Previous oils was Mobil TDT 5W-40 and a Baldwin filter. MIght not be quite 2 tick marks higher but close.

I gave the Delo 5w40 LE and the 15w40 LE a try in my Detroit Series 60, for some reason, they both sheared pretty bad. They would drop to a 30w in an OCI. I have since moved over to Schaeffer oil and the shearing problem has gone away and I have almost doubled the OC interval. I always had high regards for Delo, but for some reason, this engine sure didn't. All other wear metals are lower with the Schaeffer also. Just one of those quirks in life. Delo has a strong reputation, that is why I ran it in the Detroit. It was really perplexing that it wasn't holding up well.

Update: I towed my 5th wheel up to Mammoth CA. and the oil pressure went nuts! Pulling out of Bishop up 395 I had to climb the Sherwin grade. As I went up I noticed the pressure was high but didn't have my glasses on. I popped them on and the needle was pegged! It hit 120+ PSI pulling the grade and when it was hot! I have never had an oil do this. The oil pressure needle then started to dance and I pulled over as it dropped to zero. I thought I blew a line or something but it came back up. A look under the truck had oil coming from the rear of the engine somewhere but I couldn't locate it. Since the pressure came back I let it idle to cool and the oil leak stopped. I added a quart of dino 15-40 just be safe and finished going to Mammoth slowly. Several checks under the truck showed no more oil leaking.After I got my trailer situated in the camp ground and headed to NAPA and grabbed a standard WIX filter and swapped and added another quart of dino to see if that was the problem. It wasn't pressure still ran high and on the trip home it would climb dangerously if I didn't take it real easy. Not quite as high as the trip up but there were 2 quarts of dino in the mix now. I have mostly run Mobil TDT 5-40 in this truck but have also tried Rotella T6 and Royal Purple as well as dino. All of them lost pressure on a hard climb as the engine heated but the Delo synthetic pressure went sky high. Any ideas why? I thought it would have been the Fram Ultra filter with it's synthetic media but that was not the case. Any ideas on what the heck is going on here? I will dump the oil before my next pull and replace it with Mobil TDT.

Just a guess, but I highly doubt its oil choice related. Sounds like a sticky/stuck oil pressure relief valve.

All was fine prior to the oil change noticed higher pressure immediately thereafter. I guess it could break between shutting it off and starting it up but I kind of doubt it.

Since he had oil leaking under the truck then he does have a big issue. Which side was leaking the oil? If on the left could be the oil filter/ cooler assmbly leaking.. Caused by a stuck releaf valve? If on the right could be excess oil from the breather pipe.

1st i would have somebody with a tech2 scan the cluster and do a needle sweep. If that checks out then
2nd have someone put a mechanical gauge in place of the sender unit. My gauge was reading low... it was fine, just nature of the beast. You should see
75psi+- a few.. cold / 90+ @ 2k rpm
15-25psi+- a few..hot/ 65 max @ 2k rpm

Simplistic,

That's what I have been seeing consistently for the life of the truck. I have replaced all the stepper motors and it seems to be working fine but I do not have a tech 2 tool. As I have said this happened immediately after the oil change. I guess we'll see if there is a difference when I swap back to Mobil TDT. I couldn't tell where the leak was. Oil was dripping from the rear of the engine at a decent clip and then stopped after idling a shorty time. Something got over pressured and leaked and it hasn't done it again but then I didn't push and kept the pressure from going that high. It was not coming from the filter that was the first place I looked.

Last edited:
I would put a manual gauge on the engine to see what the oil pressure really is. What your seeing on the cluster may or may not be true. You will not know till you check with a good gauge. That will tell you if it's a oil pressure sensor going bad or it there is an over pressure issue.

2nd, if there was oil leaking from the back of the engine then there are a few things you can check, though it might be tough to do so.
1st- is the oil line from the #4 cam bearing that feeds the turbo
There could be an issue with the line leaking.
2nd- The turbo drain line goes from the turbo to an adaptior plate for the transmission. It drains through the plate back into the oil pan. Could be a gasket on either end of the tube leaking.
3rd- Could be the lower valve cover leaking. I doubt that.. it's sealed with rtv from the factory. Never had mine leak even after r&r injectors and valve adjment.

Just a guess, how much oil did u see leaking?

I have been busy but finally got around to swapping back to Mobil 1 TDT and my normal filter. Pressure will still hit 90+PSI at high RPM. Have to hunt down someone with a mechanical gauge to verify my stock gauge. I have found one parts drawing showing the pressure relief valve on an LB7. It looks like you it screws in through the front cover but not sure if you have to remove the harmonic balancer etc. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Yes, the relief Is in the front cover. However you do not check the pressure there. You remove the sending unit, It's either on the left side of the block towards the front (01-02) or near the left engine mount.

Just unscrew the sensor and screw the manual gauge in its place.
It would be handy to have someone to help you out to rev the engine while you check the pressure.

With the same oil I see on my truck is 18psi @ idle..1800rpm 55psi

All are hot readings.
Idle-15psi min
1800rpm-42psi min

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back