PCMatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those commercials on TV about PCMatic are really irritating to me. That CEO claims that PCMatic is entirely American and names all these other AV programs, even Norton and McAfee, as being developed in foreign countries. In the commercial Norton and McAfee are shown as being developed in India which as far as I know is correct.

But what AV is used by PCMatic? I doubt very much that the CEO of this PCMatic developed his own AV. I checked the PCMatic website but I could not find out what AV is used. But I heard it is Dr. Web, which is a Russian AV. Understand I would not use this PCMatic service whatsoever-not ever. But if Dr. Web is the AV being used it is ALSO developed in a foreign country.

Does anybody know what AV is used?

Last edited:
I have never heard of this, but does it matter where the software is being developed? I'm just curious.

PCMatic =
15.gif

It does not matter where the software was developed. In fact Dr. Web is supposed to be a good AV although I don't think I have ever used it. But if in the commercial they are making a big deal about PCMatic being American and they state that other AV products, even Norton and McAfee, are developed in foreign countries, and if they are using a foreign developed AV themselves, is that kind of hypocritical?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
is that kind of hypocritical?
Yes, but OTOH, the software could have been developed here to the alpha or beta status, but than could have been pushed offshore after. It's pretty common for that. But unfortunately they aren't being specific enough for us to believe that there is no offshore involved.

I keep seeing that commercial again and again on TV. I am sick of it.

I will stay with programs like ESET, Bitdefender (maybe), Kaspersky, maybe F-Secure, Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes, and the ESET Online Scan.

I will stay with programs like ESET, Bitdefender (maybe), Kaspersky, maybe F-Secure, Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes, and the ESET Online Scan.

Ever consider Microsoft's security?? It's free and works great. Been running it for 3 years and never had an issue. I work for a .NET environment in IT and it's all we use. Never had an issue there either.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Ever consider Microsoft's security?? It's free and works great. Been running it for 3 years and never had an issue. I work for a .NET environment in IT and it's all we use. Never had an issue there either.

It's basically worthless.. Microsoft has pretty much said so themselves.

I don't watch TV.. I don't subject myself to that stuff.

I would like to be able to use Microsoft's AV. It comes with Windows 8/8.1 and it runs good, although the full scan takes a long time. But I think it needs improvement. And if I did run it I would want to have some backup security to go with it. Malwarebytes has a free version and the ESET Online Scan is free and a good check.

You guys in IT ever run online scans as a check?

MSE by itself is very weak, but combined with something like Malwarebytes pro, its a bullet proof package. Ive yet to see anything get through, even after using public search engines extensively, which are full of Trojans, worms, and malware. You cant use them and not hit these vermin's, and most of them are silent killers, that you wont even know they are already in your system until they attack.

Last edited:

Are you talking about MS Security Essentials? IIRC they stopped supporting it a couple of months ago.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Are you talking about MS Security Essentials? IIRC they stopped supporting it a couple of months ago.

I use System Center Endpoint Protection. Still being updated and supported by MS.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
MSE by itself is very weak, but combined with something like Malwarebytes pro, its a bullet proof package.

Depending on what you are referring to, maybe it's weak. I never mentioned the latter but THIS is my exact setup. However, we did some in house testing by compiling different virus/spyware attacks and put multiple AV's/IS's up to the challenge. We tested ESET, Norton, McAfee (horrible), Panda, MS, Kaspersky, and a few others. Believe it or not, MS's IS by itself caught the most vulnerabilities of any of the apps tested for viruses. It did not perform all that well for Spyware/Adware, and Malwarebytes pro did the best in that category. So you could see how these two coupled together are great!

When it comes to security it's as simple as how vulnerable the user makes their system. Any new viruses/spyware/adware/etc. will get through ANY system on ANY security setup, until those apps are updated to stop those types of attacks. What you really need to worry about is finding one or two different security apps in which the company is quick at implementing defense against the latest threats. System usage is also another consideration and most do a good job of writing asynchronous code to not steal all the VM. Just remember that there is NO perfect security app.. The best to do would be to demo the apps with the trials and see how they work with YOUR daily usage. I prefer simple and have tried a lot of different securities, but most of them don't compare to MS security coupled with MalwareBytes for both performance and security.

Also, if you are browsing in unknown places, YOU are making your system vulnerable, not your security.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Even MS doesn't recommend MSSE anymore.
For end users this is correct. MS doesn't waste their time on security products for end users because it is common knowledge that too many individuals make themselves vulnerable due to lack of knowledge. However, they fully support development environments and are highly regarded.

Home users aren't using SCEP so I'm not sure why you're bad posting about using it.

It's not accessible to almost all of the people here.

SCEP? This post was about PCMatic and according to the commercial on TV PCMatic is used by home owners. I have no idea what SCEP is so I don't know how I could be bad mouthing it. Is SCEP another name for PCMatic?

That software he talks about is for server computers in businesses and corporations, right? He seemed to start out talking about MS AV protection. Now Microsoft makes AV software for businesses and the government. I think it is called Forefront. But when he started out I thought he was talking about MSE or Windows Defender for home computers.

Yes, exactly. Everyone here is talking about home use stuff and he chimes in with enterprise stuff. Completely off-topic.

Back on topic, PC-Matic seems more like a scam and their commercials throw me into a near-blind rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back