Are 'American' cars going extinct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
even real american cars have had metric bolts for a LONG time. and dont forget chrysler used parts from Canada in the 60s. i thought that was good.

In some cases, like compact and smaller cars, good riddance! The last truly good small Detroit 3 cars before the Cruze/Focus/Dart were, uh, throw me a bone here! I'm glad we have much better world-design smaller cars available, and not the cut-rate junk meant to get us to buy a larger/thirstier car just to have a decent driving experience.

Last edited:
They should all be metric bolts. Nothing worse than working on a metric Big 3 car and finding that one SAE bolt.....

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I'm not really sure what's worse:

That the Camry is the best car we make in this country, or that the fact that people think it's a good car in comparison to vehicles that are much more enjoyable to drive.

BC.

That's why you need to own both.

On the other topic, I understand the difference between MFN status and NAFTA.

Anytime you equate markets for labor based on the free flow of goods, you equalize the cost of inputs, especially in this case labor, across those markets.

When you compare the Canadian market vs. the US, there is no real effect.

When you equate the Mexican labor market with Canada and the US, wages in the US and Canada will necessarily fall while pay in Mexico will climb.

Other inputs into the "product", like uneven environmental regulatory, cheaper raw materials, etc. will also affect the other more elastic components of product cost.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They should all be metric bolts. Nothing worse than working on a metric Big 3 car and finding that one SAE bolt.....

Tell me about it. I just cammed out one of my 13mm sockets on my son's F150 rear axle cover bolt that was actually 1/2". This sprinkling of SAE fasteners on domestics here and there [censored] me off.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
When you compare the Canadian market vs. the US, there is no real effect.

Actually, there is, but that's a giant can of worms I don't wish to open. Needless to say, some people priced themselves out of the market - their skill set had nowhere near the value what they wanted to be paid.

My general point is that it will all work its way out in the wash in the long run. People sometimes need to be smarter consumers.

I'm not really sure what's worse: That the Camry is the best car we make in this country, or that the fact that people think it's a good car in comparison to vehicles that are much more enjoyable to drive.

The Camry IS a good car, even if there are others that respond quicker to driver input. Chassis response is perhaps THE most important factor to some people. It's very low on the list of important factors to other people. There's nothing wrong with that. We're blessed to have the choices we have.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm not really sure what's worse: That the Camry is the best car we make in this country, or that the fact that people think it's a good car in comparison to vehicles that are much more enjoyable to drive.

The Camry IS a good car, even if there are others that respond quicker to driver input. Chassis response is perhaps THE most important factor to some people. It's very low on the list of important factors to other people. There's nothing wrong with that. We're blessed to have the choices we have.
My 04 Camry I have has a sorry brake system. I am not sure that it is even capable of making a panic stop.The brake system is reliable and components seem up to the task,it just doesn't have the response that most vehicle brake systems have. I recently drove a 2014 1/2(Toyota change something in the front of the unibody so they feel justified in calling it 2014 1/2) and it had a much more responsive brake feel. Apparently Toyota has made some changes.The throttle pedal sensor went south last fall and with towing, the bill was close to $700. There is nothing "best" about Camrys, no matter what Consumer Reports says.I wish I still had my 54 Ford Customline with that weak stick, 239 cu in overhead valve Y block V8.

If the big 3 built cars as good as the nearest competitor in size, and they did it since 1988, there would be much less of a problem.

As for having the whole car being designed outside the USA, that isn't entirely too. Many design firms in California get chosen to shape the car. Could you imagine how dreadful modern Japanese cars would look if they were all styled the way they did in the 60s and 70s, excluding the Datsun 240Z and Toyota 200GT?

When you consider that sales of GM vehicles in China exceeded the number sold in the U.S., then it makes things a little clearer on why they are not primarily made in American any more. You source the parts and components and do more assembly where the primary market is. And at the same time, you avoid the highest corporate tax rate in the world, the U.S. Then you get to avoid a lot of regulatory hassles, again, the U.S. Transportation costs are lower as well.

The primary market for a lot of Japanese and Korean stuff is here, so why not build them here? A lot cheaper to do so. And since they are foreign owned and operated, they get to bypass a lot of the high corporate tax structure also.

See a picture here? If anyone is to blame, it is that government is probably more responsible than anyone for stuff moving off shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back