Upgrade size do I change spair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to go from 245/75/16 to 265/70/16 on my truck from my measurements there Is little size difference esp the outside diamater. The question is will I have to change the spair tire to match the new size? My fear is it could mess up the ABS or traction control if I had to use the spair tire? Or in this case is the size difference so close that it will not matter?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So I would like to go from 245/75/16 to 265/70/16 on my truck from my measurements there Is little size difference esp the outside diamater. The question is will I have to change the spair tire to match the new size? My fear is it could mess up the ABS or traction control if I had to use the spair tire? Or in this case is the size difference so close that it will not matter?

If your spare wheel matches your other wheels, then I would change the spare as well and include it in your rotation.

If your spare wheel does not match your other wheels, I would leave it alone and only use it in an emergency.

HTH

If you're already driving on your spare tire and you have need of ABS or traction control you may also need to consider taking some sort of remedial driving course. No offense intended.

You could stick it on and try. If it doesn't like it, it'll let you know with a series of annoying lights.

Most cars these days come with different size spare straight from the factory. As long as the overall diameter is the same as the rest of the wheels, it is not a problem for temporary use.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As long as the overall diameter is the same as the rest of the wheels, it is not a problem for temporary use.
Yep. The O.D. and the load capacity matter the most for a spare, and you're good in both those regards with your sizes.

How many of us check the air pressure in our spare occasionally?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
. . . How many of us check the air pressure in our spare occasionally?

Especially since so many cars today have a compact spare, and it needs to be set to a higher pressure than the other tires. My regular tires call for 33 lbs., but the compact calls for 60!

How many of us check the air pressure in our spare occasionally?

I do it about once a year or so.

But the way the industry is going, pretty soon you won't have to as you'll either have a collapsible spare that will have to be inflated upon removal from the trunk anyway, or you'll have no spare at all and will have to rely on RFTs.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
. . . How many of us check the air pressure in our spare occasionally?

Especially since so many cars today have a compact spare, and it needs to be set to a higher pressure than the other tires. My regular tires call for 33 lbs., but the compact calls for 60!

I usually check mine on a monthly basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back