Peak conventional 10w-30, 4,134miles 2003 Century

Status
Not open for further replies.
This report is from Oil Analyzers. It is a friends car that drives 140 mile round trip a day back and forth to Fort Bragg from home. Country roads most of the way in. The oil filter was a Wix. It has been using coolant and so I figured I would take a sample. It has 134k miles on the vehicle. This was the second oil change with Peak conventional 10w-30. Looks like there is a leak, not sure if it is the intake on this particular model or the heads. The sump holds 4.8 qts

Code:
Suggest INSPECTING COLLING SYSTEM (head gasket, heads, seals, EGR gaskets, etc.) for

leaks. Coolant indicators (Sodium and /or Potassium) are at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL.

Viscosity is MODERATELY HIGH: Lubricant and filter change acknowledged.

OIL Peak 10w-30

MILES IN USE 4,134

MILES 134,454

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/22/14

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 9

COPPER 4

LEAD 3

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 15

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 63

BORON 8

SILICON 13

SODIUM 335

CALCIUM 2015

MAGNESIUM 13

PHOSPHORUS 846

ZINC 885

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.1

WATER 0.0

Oxidation 10

SUS VIS 210ºF

cSt @ 212ºF 13.5

Fuel% 0

Antifreeze% see comments

TBN 3.81

Nitration 9

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rat407
I forgot to put it has the 3.1L V6.

Thats what I was afraid of . The good news is if you're handy or have a friend that is it's do-able and you still have a good car there !

Bad LIMs.
This oil has sodium as a part of its add pack, although not as much as this UOA shows.
The high level of potassium is the dead giveaway.
These need to replaced quickly, since coolant ingress isn't a good thing and will lead to severe sludging and rapid bearing wear.

Yep the good old plastic gaksers. I had mine repaired already on a used engine after the leak caused over heating so many times on my original engine. You need the rubber and metal frame gasket.

Interesting to see wear is still good, even with coolant. Another weird thing is the increased viscosity but the oil shouldn't be old enough to be oxidizing yet.

This oil isn't made by Valvoline.
It does use sodium as part of its add pack, but not 335 ppm.
It also doesn't have anything close to 63 ppm of potassium, which is the primary indicator of coolant leaking into the oil, at least where coolants containing potassium are used.
Yes, the OP's engine has coolant leaking into the oil, a classic problem with GM V-6 engines over many years.
A buddy who used to work in a Pontiac shop likes to say that LIM jobs paid off his mortgage.

Can confirm bad LIM here.. I had the same car.. your friend is at about the same mileage as mine was when the problem developed.. sorry but my 03 century was an awful car..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
This oil is made by valvoline or it is a copy.if i recall valvoline voa it is identical but this has moly http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1760810

So sorry to bust you bubble but nope ,no leak.sodium is one of the additive valvoline put
At the small amount we talk here ?it must be something like a bolt or if oil cooler is with rad .radiator is going off line

More trolling and stupidity from yvon.... At what point does it end?

The intake manifold gasket leak is extremely common on the 3.1, so that's likely where your coolant is going. We had to replace it twice on the 2003 Malibu we had. The first set was replaced with the pre-revised gaskets under warranty. The 2nd time was out of warranty, so we had to pay for it again.

I'll let them know. Not sure what they want to do. It seems simple enough to change out, plenty of room under there to work.
Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
Can confirm bad LIM here.. I had the same car.. your friend is at about the same mileage as mine was when the problem developed.. sorry but my 03 century was an awful car..

Once you repair the gaskets and rebuild the tranny once it's good to go.

At the small amount we talk here ?it must be something like a bolt or if oil cooler is with rad .radiator is going off line

63 ppm of potassium is huge and is a clear indicator of coolant getting into the oil.
This is one of the primary values of UOAs.
They can indicate serious problems before the engine experiences serious consequences.
This thing needs LIM replacement ASAP and this UOA has indicated the same for anyone who can read.

My friend will be back in town today after being gone for a week at church camp. I'll let her know. I don't see her husband much, who actually drives the car and is in the Army. He is having to go to a two week outing so he will not be home and maybe then they can get this fixed. I watched a YouTube video on this exact same car and it seems simple enough to accomplish.

Bars Leaks pellets - available at NAPA. Same pellets your GM dealer sells. Problem solved.
!B03qVUQBWk~%24%28KGrHqN,!g8Ew5MTBqhNBMcQ!FgbpQ~~_35.JPG

Originally Posted By: tony1679
This oil is made by valvoline or it is a copy.if i recall valvoline voa it is identical but this has moly http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1760810

So sorry to bust you bubble but nope ,no leak.sodium is one of the additive valvoline put

More trolling and stupidity from yvon.... At what point does it end?
so basicly you say there is no oil with high sodium count?(that was my point after all http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2270021 tell it to this post then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back