AN 225 Mriya in Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could have made it there to see it leave. I do drive by MSP frequently for work, so I did get a look at it sitting out there. Only word to describe that thung is huge. No official word on why it was here, but apparently they were loading some huge industrial air conditioning units from Trane, and they were headed somewhere in the middle east.

Watched it take off from the dog park at the end of runway 30L. Awesome sight. Quieter than one would expect for a plane of its size.

For what its worth, the dog park is a great place to watch airplanes at the Minneapolis airport. When the wind is out of the south or calm, and planes are landing on the 12's and taking off on the 12's and 17, you are right at the end of 12R where planes are landing with a great view of where planes start their takeoff roll on 17. Can also see planes headed for 12L. My kids love it, and my inner kid giggles too...

On the north side of the airport, take the crosstown (Minnesota 62) to 28th Ave, Head South. You can park on 28th or in the MAC office building parking lot.

I know the park you're talking about, been there many times myself. As a kid, I used to spend hours with my dad watching planes at MSP. We had an air band radio so we could listen to the tower, and a notebook where we would write down tail numbers and what kind of planes they were. We would usually sit off of Post Rd, either at what they now call the "cell phone lot", or farther down where the big taxi lot is now. Of course, those were the days when 90% of the planes at MSP were Northwest instead of Delta, Runway 17/35 didn't exist, the 12/30 runways were 11/29, and you could go walk around inside the entire airport just for something to do.

That's quite some plane. I had an opportunity to see it on the ground and even toured inside it at Philadelphia International Airport. That was back in the, I think, late '90s, when the Soviet Union was breaking up. They were making a run of medical supplies for the children of Chernobyl. Inside the plane, at the front (way up high) was the flight deck and crew quarters. I remember seeing some equipment still in place that looked like it might have been used during the Buran (space shuttle) flights. It was a treat to see that large airplane (bol'shoy samolet!).

Lots of pretty good places to watch planes at MSP.

Still miss the redtails of Northwest. Didn't matter where you where, seeing them always reminded me of "home". There was no doubt they would consolidate with somebody. Just don't feel the same connection to Delta.

I was out in the yard at my daughter's place in Plymouth as this big boy came out of the clouds and then turned over me for approach. As soon as I saw 6 engines hanging off the wings, I knew it was a Russian one of one, but not exactly what. It was pretty quiet and with it's size and lower airspeed, seemed to just float by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back