Heard A Sonic Boom..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to mom yesterday and she said she was outside and heard an explosion in the sky and looked up a saw a plane. What type of plane could it be?

They boom in F-18s off La Jolla CA all the time. As soon as those pilots see the ocean it seems like they let'er rip.

They aren't supposed to go supersonic over public land unless it is an emergency or are given permission. That being said, it has been done plenty of times.

Literally any fighter plane in the US arsenal could do it, F15, F16, F/A18, F22, B2 just to name a few.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
They boom in F-18s off La Jolla CA all the time. As soon as those pilots see the ocean it seems like they let'er rip.

The shock wave can be heard a long way off...it takes a while to get a Hornet supersonic...so, you're hearing distant intercepts/maneuvers....not something just off the coast...

The B2 is subsonic....

And there are a few places where you can go supersonic over land, but they're nowhere near populated areas.

Where is your mom located?

Last edited:
The best booms over here were from the shuttle landing but the booms still come from the flight area off-shore when the conditions are right.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The shock wave can be heard a long way off...it takes a while to get a Hornet supersonic...so, you're hearing distant intercepts/maneuvers....not something just off the coast...

Just last night they ripped through over the beach. The boom was heard long after they were over the ocean, but I saw them overhead long before I heard them and then the ripping/booming sound came.

Maybe it wasnt a boom, just afterburners and lots of noise???

Every time Im in the area I notice this...

Didn't realize they were that common. I thought it happened at much faster speeds than Mach1.

The speed of sound varies with temperature.
Could be 740mph at 32 f or 780mph or so at 90f.

Last edited:
For the first 20 yrs of living in my house, I would hear the Concorde going sub-sonic out over the bay. Just a dull rumble

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
I believe there are three corridors over or near Edwards AFB that allow supersonic flight.

Sonic booms at EAFB are routine, I used to hear them a couple of times per week and when the Space Shuttle would land.

They break the sound barrier here at Robins AFB in Ga. It is required for the F-15 to make a supersonic run over land after Depot maint. Is performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back