Should I change the AC1618C in my 5.3L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Silverado 5.3L with ACDelco A1618C "Duramax" air filter and K&N 10" H20 filter restriction guage:

fRmICZU.jpg

I'm surprised the filter is that restrictive or clogged since the truck does not see off road usage everyday (maybe 4x a month). Filter is installed on October 2012 and I did a WOT run to get max restriction. I switched the OEM to the K&N filterminder since the K&N is more sensitive (OEM is 25" H20 from what I heard.)

Could the airbox cause restriction? I also have a filterminder on my dad's Toyota Tundra and with a cotton gauze filter it showed restriction under WOT. It wasn't until I cut opened the bottom of the airbox and changed the air filter to a Denso that it didn't show restriction under WOT. Exhaust tone changed a whole lot too. Sounds like I've got a Flowmaster when I still have the stock exhaust.

Last edited:
you dont have the stock restriction gauge..

max would be 40% restriction on oem??

and only WOT?

sounds like it has plenty of life left.

Originally Posted By: Rand
you dont have the stock restriction gauge..

max would be 40% restriction on oem??

and only WOT?

sounds like it has plenty of life left.

+1

I've owned an 03 with the same engine..5.3, and the current in sig. The factory 1618c on my durmax would pull 10" vac with a new delco filter.

The gas wouldn't even budge it. I forget where i saw it, but the max restruction is 25" on durmax and 20" on the gas. 50% would be around 12.5"vac. 10" is nothing, use the gauge and the filter to the fullest. Why waste money on an itch that you want to scratch?

The gas engines did come with the gauge, if you have the z71 off-road pkg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back