2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel 3.0 - Rotella T5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selenia Multipower C3 (Fiat Lubrificanti)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability European L
Pennzoil Platinum European Ultra Diesel
eni i-Sint MS 5W30
Shell Helix Ultra Extra
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200
Castrol Magnatec 5W30 C3
Total Quartz Ineo MC3
Motul 8100 X-clean C3
Volvoline Synpower MST 5W30
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30

That would be Fiat 9.55535-S3 and ACEA C3. Pick one.

"The FIAT 9.55535-S1 performance level imposes the engine oil to be both ACEA C2 and 5W-30" (Quote Motul), so they are a fuel economy oil with a lower HTHS of <2.9. -S3 is the heavy duty variant with a HTHS <3.5.

Last edited:
I do not have access to either the Chrysler or the MB spec but if they are truly the same I find it strange that the Amsoil technical department emailed me that their MB spec qualified oil does not meet the Chrysler MS 11106 spec but they are working on one and expect to have it available soon. I suppose they could just be qualifying the existing oil against the Chrysler spec but they way the email was worded it sounded like it would be a different or modified oil.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

All the best,

Is this FIAT VM engine in your Jeep? I'm quite interested in this motor because it will find way in most of the Fiat Group cars here. It will probably replace 2.4 inline 5 if it's compact enough.

Last edited:
Fraser434-
Any updates to your UOA? I'm interested to know how the Shell Rotella T5 is working for you.
I'm contemplating using the T6 or Mobil 1 Delvac LE 5W-30 in my '14 RAM EcoDiesel. I understand that ACEA E7/E9 is for HD trucks, how much different is that from ACEA C3?
Thanks for posting the pictures of the catalog from Chrysler showing the MS-11106 (MB-229.51) I'm still searching for definitive proof from a professional tribologist that MB-229.51 and Chrysler MS-11106 are the EXACT same specification. An applications engineer at Liqui-Moly told me the two specs were similar. He did recommend the Top Tech 4200 for my truck.

Originally Posted By: pb379
Fraser434-
Any updates to your UOA? I'm interested to know how the Shell Rotella T5 is working for you.
I'm contemplating using the T6 or Mobil 1 Delvac LE 5W-30 in my '14 RAM EcoDiesel. I understand that ACEA E7/E9 is for HD trucks, how much different is that from ACEA C3?
Thanks for posting the pictures of the catalog from Chrysler showing the MS-11106 (MB-229.51) I'm still searching for definitive proof from a professional tribologist that MB-229.51 and Chrysler MS-11106 are the EXACT same specification. An applications engineer at Liqui-Moly told me the two specs were similar. He did recommend the Top Tech 4200 for my truck.

Good timing, just changed oil over the weekend, filled it with Castrol Edge professional 5w30, it's ACEA C3. Have a 4000 mile sample of both T6 and Euro L to be analyzed. This crankcase builds up a lot of soot, can't imagine what the oil would look like after 10k OCI.

The 2.0L 4-cylinder MultiJet and 1.9L Twinturbo Multijet have replaced the 2.4L, even in the European Jeeps.

But for European passenger cars the gasoline 1750 T-Jet is more interesting. Might even replace the 2.4 Tigershark.

Originally Posted By: philbytx
So, you are still in the warranty period and you choose to ignore Chrysler's MS-11106 specified oils.

Only two oils are currently spec'd - both 5w30 - Pennzoil Ultra Euro L and Mobil1 ESP. I hope you do not experience any internal issues with your turbo motor!

+2

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Originally Posted By: pb379
Fraser434-

Good timing, just changed oil over the weekend, filled it with Castrol Edge professional 5w30, it's ACEA C3. Have a 4000 mile sample of both T6 and Euro L to be analyzed. This crankcase builds up a lot of soot, can't imagine what the oil would look like after 10k OCI.

I just changed the oil in my MB ML320cdi which is the v6 diesel. In 100 miles the new oil was as black as the stuff I drained out of it. Kind of depressing to see it blacken that quick but everyone says it is normal. Waiting for my analysis report from Blackstone for oil with 7500 miles on it. I use the 229.51 Mobil 1 5-40esp. I'm out of warranty but MB people are very strict about that spec oil and don't deviate.
You have a new design engine with new technology. I wouldn't use anything but 229.51 under warranty.

Originally Posted By: philbytx
So, you are still in the warranty period and you choose to ignore Chrysler's MS-11106 specified oils.

Only two oils are currently spec'd - both 5w30 - Pennzoil Ultra Euro L and Mobil1 ESP. I hope you do not experience any internal issues with your turbo motor!

The "L" in PUE stands for Low SAPS. The "ESP" in the M1 stands for Emissions System Protection. The point of specifying these oils is to protect the emissions system first, and the engine second. He won't have any internal engine issues if he goes with a high-SAPS oil, but the emissions system may have issues in a few years.

Last edited:
Brand new car and instead of using what is recommended you are going with T5?
Regardless of emission system, still, M1 ESP 5W30 and PU L 5W30 are much better oils than T5.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Brand new car and instead of using what is recommended you are going with T5?
Regardless of emission system, still, M1 ESP 5W30 and PU L 5W30 are much better oils than T5.

Orly, in terms of engine wear? I have a 4000 mile sample of Rotella T6 and Euro L. Should be interesting.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
He won't have any internal engine issues if he goes with a high-SAPS oil, but the emissions system may have issues in a few years.

At least someone here has common sense. With low saps oil Engine rebuild at 120k or high saps oil DPF replacement at 120k ; that's what I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back