end cap wrench size for 2003 pathfinder vq35de

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can find the exact size cap wrench for my 2003 pathfinder VQ35DE motor Original from Nissan filter OEM not aftermarket filters

every time I try a parts store ,NO good , too loose and Nissan don't sell these cap end parts any one know the answer. I do not want a span type wrench because you cant tight up with those

Last edited:
I have the exact same year PathFinder and engine, 146,000+ miles.

After you drop the Rock Shield the filter is just to the left of center.

A simple claw wrench or just my hand is enough force to twist it off.

After an oil change I simply twist the filter on by hand until snug, back it off by 1/4 turn, and then snug to fit.

Over tightening filters is often done by DIYers and shops.

Mola

Last edited:
I assuming you are removing? Tightening should be done by hand and unless your Superman you cannot really over tighten by hand.

For end caps they sell a few that have 3 adjustable spring loaded claws. The claws bite as you exert pressure. They sell on Amazon and other places. They have 2 sizes, medium and large.

I broke spot welds on a HF cap wrench, but the one with 3 claws got the filter off.

Originally Posted By: Rand
IMO if you need to use a wrench to tighten you are doing it wrong.

I know what your thinking , you can not get your hand up in there to hand tighten so common sense would tell me about 3/4 th of a turn would do it with a wrench ,

Originally Posted By: Donald
I assuming you are removing? Tightening should be done by hand and unless your Superman you cannot really over tighten by hand.

For end caps they sell a few that have 3 adjustable spring loaded claws. The claws bite as you exert pressure. They sell on Amazon and other places. They have 2 sizes, medium and large.

I broke spot welds on a HF cap wrench, but the one with 3 claws got the filter off.

that filter must have been very over tightened for the welds to brake , but it happened s.
see the problem with a claw wrench is that its so tight to get my hand in there [ me Big Hands] , that I need a cap wrench just to give it about 3/4 of q turn and the claw type only loosens the filter I don't think in the opposite direction it will tighten it ,maybe I'm wrong ,just figuring. thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Try Fram wrenches. I found my bit-of-an-odball cap wrench at Walmart. Cap wrenches don't need to fit perfectly. Ed

so far Ed I went to wall mart , no luck , then to auto zone, haven't tried Napa or Advanced auto yet but your on the right track for me thanks

I am old enough to get a senior movie pass at Regal Cinema. I have bought new oil filter wrenches when needed. I might have 20 or 25 including some I got from my Dad. Right now a regular band wrench works fine for Jeep and Dodge Ram. Bobcat is another thing all together as is boat and snowcat.

Can never have too many tools.

I use a cap wrench on mine to get a better feel. I tighten the filter wrist tight with a 5 inch long 1/4'' drive ratchet. And when I say "wrist tight," I'm talking about the way the ratchet is held in the hand in order to limit torque.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am old enough to get a senior movie pass at Regal Cinema. I have bought new oil filter wrenches when needed. I might have 20 or 25 including some I got from my Dad. Right now a regular band wrench works fine for Jeep and Dodge Ram. Bobcat is another thing all together as is boat and snowcat.

Can never have too many tools.

Right Donald I also have lots of extra tools

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I use a cap wrench on mine to get a better feel. I tighten the filter wrist tight with a 5 inch long 1/4'' drive ratchet. And when I say "wrist tight," I'm talking about the way the ratchet is held in the hand in order to limit torque.

Yes your right about that knowing when to stop ,I have been working on cars and trucks for 45 years and still learning .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back