minimizing drivetrain wear (manual transmission)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
You can also "burp" the motor and shift to neutral instead of using the clutch--once the motor starts to go from "accel" to "decel" the trans gets unloaded and it will shift effortless into neutral. I do that sometimes too.

This. I'll pull it out of gear with a negligible torque differential on the transmission. No problem.

Also, if you're modulating the clutch (wheel spin, maneuvering etc) where it heats up, I'll make sure to let the clutch assy stay sandwiched afterwards to conduct/dissipate the heat

one thing to consider is it is less safe to sit at a stop with the car in neutral. The split second it takes to get it in gear can be a big deal in the event of an emergency.

I personally keep the clutch pressed to the floor and in 1st gear when stopped. I have never had an issue and never heard of anyone having an issue who drive the same way.

Do what you want but there are many things to consider.

Last edited:
Having driven a manual tranny for near 1000k miles (not a typo), I've long forgotten how I drive...so I thought about it today so I could reply here...

I cruise to a stop in gear in 3rd, depressing the clutch @ 12mph/1200rpm when it's clear I'll have to stop...if I may not have to stop I shift into 2nd where I can accelerate from a rolling stop with no problems...at a full stop I let the clutch out and rest my leg/foot on the dead pedal...

I can't imagine anyone pushing in on the clutch a minute or two at a red light ...but I guess that's what this thread's about...

This, and your hand needs to be off the gear shift as well unless you are changing gears.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you are not actively changing the gear, why is your feet on the clutch pedal?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

2) shift to neutral, and wait with no clutch

This is what I do. Been driving for 23 years. Haven't had to replace a clutch due to this yet.

+1. I have yet to replace a clutch. I put it in neutral and wait with no clutch.

Also, if you're going from 45mph down to 20mph and keeping it in 5th, you might want to put it in neutral before than so you're not lugging the engine in 5th gear @ 20mph.

If you are lugging the engine, car will let you know. If you are driving a stick (for a while), you will be paying attention to all the clues that the car is giving to you.

Generally, you stress the engine if you are trying to accelerate in too high gear. Usually, it is not a problem when are you decelerating, although there may be cases of some engine/drive-train combination where it would start bucking at low speed and then you need to avoid it by putting in the neutral.

Like others said you don't need clutch at about 10 mph to shift onto N. Another hint do not do heavy forced shifting. Bad for the tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back