Purolator Filter Made in North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know! I've purchased them locally as I do not want/ don't use anything but US made and based parts in my US based cars. Purolator and Wix are the only filters I use anyways. First OCI on wife's 2008 Malibu (previously owned) had a Fram junk filter and had "made in China" stamped right on it. Replaced with Purolator Gold with "made in USA" stamped right on it!

Originally Posted By: USA1
Good to know! I've purchased them locally as I do not want/ don't use anything but US made and based parts in my US based cars. Purolator and Wix are the only filters I use anyways. First OCI on wife's 2008 Malibu (previously owned) had a Fram junk filter and had "made in China" stamped right on it. Replaced with Purolator Gold with "made in USA" stamped right on it!
A Toyota Sienna van has higher percentage (85%) of domestic parts content than your.. wife's.. Malibu.

Hopefully, they'll stick making them in the USA forever. But when greed become the main goal, they'll be made oversees.

God, I hope not.

Last edited:
"A Toyota Sienna van has higher percentage (85%) of domestic parts content than your.. wife's.. Malibu."

That may be true, I know my Accord is made in the US while all the Fusions I looked at were made in Mexico.

But you're missing the point of the thread... for the same price why wouldn't people buy a USA made filter? IMO it's a higher quality part as well.

Kumho's and Frams may be fine, but I'll stick with some USA made Pure1's and BFG's for my USA made Accord.

USA1 and I may have different ways of getting there, but still the same sentiment. Though to many, it might not appear this way.

Last edited:
OK ... where's labman to set you "straight"?
lol.gif

Yes, I hope Purolator and other decently made filters don't change their design or manufacture outside the USA just to try and make a next buck or two. Companies have to realize that some people really do care how they spend their money.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
"A Toyota Sienna van has higher percentage (85%) of domestic parts content than your.. wife's.. Malibu."

That may be true, I know my Accord is made in the US while all the Fusions I looked at were made in Mexico.

But you're missing the point of the thread... for the same price why wouldn't people buy a USA made filter? IMO it's a higher quality part as well.

Kumho's and Frams may be fine, but I'll stick with some USA made Pure1's and BFG's for my USA made Accord.

USA1 and I may have different ways of getting there, but still the same sentiment. Though to many, it might not appear this way.

I have never seen a Fram oil filter that didn't say made in the USA on it

Not sure where you folks are getting your info on American made. According to a study made by American University in Washington based on the Automobile Manufacturing Reporting Act (a law passed about 8 years ago), the Chevy Malibu is tied for 4th for "most made in America". The Honda Accord is 27th and the Toyota Sienna is 41st. The study takes into account not only where a part comes from, but the raw materials that go into the part as well as the design and engineering of each part and the car itself. Don't believe all the propaganda the foreign auto makers throw out. Toyota claims the Camry is the "most made in America car", but in this study it isn't in the top 50.

Originally Posted By: diveforit
According to a study made by American University in Washington...

The Camry is actually tied for 11th in this index. The Accord tied for 14th. It is true the Malibu is tied for 4th. Other popular sedans: Cruze (T16), Focus (T30), Altima (T31), Corolla (T31), Charger (T37), Fusion (T58), etc.

Here's a direct link to the 2014 index:

http://www.american.edu/kogod/autoindex/2014.cfm

I think it's interesting, but biased heavily on the "weights" the author assigns to various factors. From the study:

Quote:
Profit Margin, 6%: 6 if U.S. company; 0 if foreign | Labor, 6%: 6 if assembled in U.S.; 0 if foreign | Research & Development, 6%: 6 if U.S. company; 3 if foreign and assembled in U.S.; 1 if foreign and imported | Inventory, Capital, & Other Expenses, 11%: 11 if assembled in U.S.; 0 if assembled outside of U.S. | Engine, 14%: 14 if U.S. produced; 0 if not | Transmission, 7%: 7 if U.S. produced; 0 if not | Body, Interior, Chassis, Electrical & Other, 50%: 2014 AALA% divided by 2.

I fully recognize that the AALA is a simplistic look, but this index isn't any different in my opinion. Most of the factors are binary...you either get all the "points" or you get none of the "points". Look at Engine for example. The Ram's engine is made in Mexico, so it gets 0 points. But all of the R&D and testing of that engine was likely done in the United States. Does it deserve 0 here? Same with Transmission...but it's only worth half of Engine. Body decrements the AALA by half and gives it 50% of the weight, so the AALA still plays a significant role in this index.

And their note about points-gaming for Chrysler:

Quote:
**At the time most AALA data was reported in late Fall 2013, Chrysler was 41% owned by the UAW pension fund. In January 2014, Fiat completed its takeover of Chrysler and now holds 100% of its shares. The new entity Fiat Chrysler Automotive (FCA) is to be headquartered in the Netherlands with a tax domicile in London, and shares listed in New York. As such, because of the hybrid nature of its organizational structure and its large production footprint in the U.S., we assigned a value of 3 for profit margin and R&D, rather than 6 or 0.

Probably the biggest thing I disagree with is their Profit category, and their all-or-nothing points assignment for that (except for Chrysler). Chevrolet, for example, is certainly based in the United States, but its profit is distributed to shareholders around the world and invested in new projects around the world. Toyota, for example, is based in Japan (even though its NA subsidiary actually sells the cars here), but, like Chevrolet, its profit is distributed to shareholders around the world and invested in new projects around the world. The authors of the study give a lazy man's points assignment of all-or-nothing depending on ONE factor (where the HQ is) while ignoring everything else.

But how could they do otherwise? They don't sit on the board of any of these companies, they don't know how profits are distributed among their shareholders, subsidiaries, and divisions, and they can't track how much money "stays here" vs how much money "doesn't".

That's why I think it's "bench racing" at best to try to decide which vehicle or which brand has a bigger impact than another one. I'm sure one does. But exactly which one is mostly conjecture. I'm happy enough to know that something's manufactured in the United States with Americans' labor and using a good number of American-made parts. Aside from that, I'm not privvy to any of the company financials or dealings, so I can't use any of that to form a educated opinion.

Originally Posted By: USA1

Wasn't the Camaro built in Canada? I know my Firebird was.

What? A four year old thread was given the Lazarus treatment?

Well, count me in!

I work for a Tier 1 supplier... I worked for a different Tier 1 supplier in a totally different field up until four months ago. My previous employer was based in Mexico, and my current employer is based in Japan. The customer base at both positions encompassed pretty much every automotive OEM in the world, and practically all of them have some engineering presence in North America, employing local talent for everything from administrative staff up to senior personnel. A substantial portion of the engineering work that went into both of my current vehicles was performed in Dearborn, even though they were both assembled in Japan. I've worked with Big Three customers who insisted that parts be sourced offshore.

At the end of the day, there's hardly any point in trying to assign a points system to the 'Americanness' of a vehicle. Somebody from American U can assign an arbitrary value to what they deem to be important, but their analysis is superficial, at best. Case in point: the fact that they give any kind of high score to a Hyundai or Kia is laughable. I realize that they have an assembly plant in Alabama... that doesn't change the fact that there are roadblocks to any non-Korean company getting a foot in the door as a supplier to them.

If you want to base your purchase decision on the location of the final assembly plant or the OEM's headquarters, I'm not going to try to stop you... but you're kidding yourself if you think that there's such a thing as a truly American or foreign vehicle any more.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
. I've worked with Big Three customers who insisted that parts be sourced offshore..
Why demand offshore parts?

Quote:
All those companies have foreign ownership and U.S. manufacturing.
Kumho is building a tire factory in Macon, Ga, (U.S. manufacturing next year).
Fram has New Zealand ownership.
Purolator has German ownership.
BFGoodrich has French ownership.

...and my Goodyear EfficientGrip tires are made in Czechoslovakia.

As long as the company's quality control is good: Problem?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Why demand offshore parts?

Part of it is strictly short-sighted financial reasoning, but there's also an element of developing the supplier base in China and Korea.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Dude! Throw those things out right now!

I can only imagine how dry-rotted a 24-year-old tire must be...

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

As long as the company's quality control is good: Problem?

Obviously the quality control IS a problem if their filters have giant holes in them after a few thousand miles.

Me i like a filter sealed!i dont care if box is sealed but i want the filter sealed.if drivework do it i dont see why the others dont!

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

I have never seen a Fram oil filter that didn't say made in the USA on it

Their cartridge filters are usually not made in the USA. That was my experience when I had my Saturn ION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back