Ugh. Einstein and his diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, the ultra liberal media has been covering "coal rolling" incessantly over the past week and trying to make it out like all diesel truck owners are anti environmentalists and trying to fight back in some kind of culture war. That was the headline on Business Insider a few days ago; "Conservatives Are Purposely Making Their Cars Spew Black Smoke To Protest Obama And Environmentalists"

What an f-in joke our media is these days. Of course there are a handful of idiots who purposely do this to [censored] people off, but your average guy who drives a diesel truck isn't out to make a political statement, and if you accidentally get a blast of black smoke when he hits the go pedal, he probably didn't do it on purpose.

Last edited:
Those people are idiots. Now, that's not to say the eco-nuts are right either (that one woman near the end of the video is a prime example of the flip side of that kind of stupid) but unlike the useless "bro" mods like truck nuts, stick-on "ram air", "rolling coal" and the unsafe lift kit mods are a serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

Yeah, their injector nozzles are too big to get good atomization. Their turbos are too big to spool below 2500 rpm. So they smoke continuously just off idle. I've seen footage of diesel BMW race cars rolling coal in the Nurburgring 24-hour, and have read that Audi and Peugeot turned up the fueling on their diesel prototypes after dark during the LeMans 24-hour, so it's not all just stupid 'mericans that are doing it. It's just that we seem to have elevated it to a cultural statement.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Now, that's not to say the eco-nuts are right either (that one woman near the end of the video is a prime example of the flip side of that kind of stupid)

I've seen that entire video of the Prius woman on You Tube, and she was a complete psycho. As I remember, the guy in the pickup was not putting out smoke. He was just sitting there idling, and she came over and got in his face. Apparently, she didn't like the diesel clatter and exhaust odor.

We share the air together, you and I. It's not a matter of whose "environmentalist" or prius-driver but such reckless, redneck action should be taken into the justice systems, similar to those who intentionally modify their street vehicles into flame-throwers, etc.

coal-rollers when caught (with tempered emissions, etc. for the intentions of generating more soot during acceleration) should have their vehicles forfeited and at least another 30~50k fines imposed on them.

Ignorance is bliss me sees it and they impose their so-called "rights" on others in this case, in the name of their own "rights"...

We should have laws similar to that in Germany or Japan, where strict motor vehicle regulation and inspections are a normal part of owning, if not operating a street-legal automobile.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

We share the air together, you and I. It's not a matter of whose "environmentalist" or prius-driver but such reckless, redneck action should be taken into the justice systems, similar to those who intentionally modify their street vehicles into flame-throwers, etc.

coal-rollers when caught (with tempered emissions, etc. for the intentions of generating more soot during acceleration) should have their vehicles forfeited and at least another 30~50k fines imposed on them.

Ignorance is bliss me sees it and they impose their so-called "rights" on others in this case, in the name of their own "rights"...

We should have laws similar to that in Germany or Japan, where strict motor vehicle regulation and inspections are a normal part of owning, if not operating a street-legal automobile.

Q.

How could you legally prove in a court of law that someone "rolled coal" on another??? I'm sure there are some diesels that have tunes that put out a bit more smoke than normal, and would pass emissions. You going to give them a ticket every-time they accelerate and smoke comes out the exhaust?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Q.

How could you legally prove in a court of law that someone "rolled coal" on another??? I'm sure there are some diesels that have tunes that put out a bit more smoke than normal, and would pass emissions. You going to give them a ticket every-time they accelerate and smoke comes out the exhaust?

Did you watch the video in the link? It was pretty obvious when they were doing it to be jerks. I think that's what he is referring to, and it IS what I am referring to. I think we understand that under load a diesel does this, heck older cars can smoke under load.

Someone mentioned loud stereos as well, sure those can be annoying, but this 'rolling coal' is just gross.

I know nothing about diesels, but I can't help but think these guys are slowly killing their engines by intentionally setting up a tune that will do this. Dumping all that fuel can't be good for cylinder wall wear. I know overly rich A/F mixtures are bad news in a gasoline engine.

There is one I see every now and then around here.

Huge pipe thru the truck bed, And a sticker of Calvin taking a leak on the word prius.

I dont get it one bit.

If someone would "Roll Coal" thru my open car window I would not act nicely at all. To me that would be an assault.

Q.

we have mandatory emissions inspections here in our area, which also covers diesel automobiles and trucks, etc. One of the compulsory inspection has to do with exhaust opacity (diesel soot) of some sort, so it's not impossible to compare against factory standardised limit to see if the truck has been "modified" or not.

dumpster trucks, 18-wheelers, etc. have the same inspections also.

Whether it's easy to prove legally on court the intentions may be of question, but at least we have the system already in place to enforce emissions to begin with.

Q.

Originally Posted By: actionstan

Q.

Did you watch the video in the link? It was pretty obvious when they were doing it to be jerks. I think that's what he is referring to, and it IS what I am referring to. I think we understand that under load a diesel does this, heck older cars can smoke under load.

Someone mentioned loud stereos as well, sure those can be annoying, but this 'rolling coal' is just gross.

Did you watch or research THE ENTIRE incident? The Prius driver started it!

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
There is one I see every now and then around here.

Huge pipe thru the truck bed, And a sticker of Calvin taking a leak on the word prius.

I dont get it one bit.
you would if you drove an unmodified diesel and had prius owners blocking your fuel pumps all the time.here many of the prius owners have an anti diesel agenda.2 wrongs dont make right of course. i have had to go to more expensive stations to fuel because of the prius blocking the only diesel pump. they like to block the pumps between 630-8am and 5-6p at night. this will come to a head soon . i plan on hooking a chain to the next one blocking the diesel pump. ill move that prius and i wont make any smoke doing it.

Originally Posted By: actionstan

Q.

Did you watch or research THE ENTIRE incident? The Prius driver started it!

The prius driver was only part of the issue in the video, the video the OP linked is referring to rolling coal in general. Regardless if someone is a nutcase its likely better to try and walk away than retaliate it will solve nothing.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Now, that's not to say the eco-nuts are right either (that one woman near the end of the video is a prime example of the flip side of that kind of stupid)

I've seen that entire video of the Prius woman on You Tube, and she was a complete psycho. As I remember, the guy in the pickup was not putting out smoke. He was just sitting there idling, and she came over and got in his face. Apparently, she didn't like the diesel clatter and exhaust odor.

Correct, he was sitting there minding his own business and she lit into him like a whirlwind of crazy enviro-nonsense. Though from the size of her I'm thinking she really doesn't have room to talk. She's saving at the pump to spend at Taco Bell
smirk.gif
I'm sure her methane emissions don't meet the EPA limits
grin.gif

If someone did that to me while I was standing nearby I would certainly find a way to respond. Actions like that make my blood boil. A move like that to me would mean that I was free to be creative in working out an appropriate solution to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back