Seal Swell in HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever smelled the HM oil? They have seal swell to mostly differentiate it from normal engine oils. But it smell like Brake Fluid DOT 4! So I ask:

Is the seal swell the same additive that goes in brake fluids DOT4 ? What is it? Can one mix them? I don't think so.

What oils are you talking about?

A similar discussion is going on here:

HM OILS

Each type of lubricant has a different PI (additive) package and base oils.

Never add brake fluid to motor oil.

Last edited:
Trying to discover the additive to seal swell. I know brake fluids have it in them. The smell is familiar. Never mix engine oil and brake fluids, of course. would a seal swell work in a velumoid gasket? or just synthetic rubbers like bunna and stuff?

Yes. If you're nose can identify specific chemical compounds and you feel you have identified said compound in an 'additive' such as brake fluid, then I say go for it.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
ATP-205 is basically a pure seal swelling additive.

Oh yeah, the resealer, sold at amazon ... tere should be pure swellers.

Quote:
Trying to discover the additive to seal swell.

WHY?

For engine oils and ATFs:

tris (C8-C24 hydrocarbyl) phosphite

Bis(2-ethylhexyl) phosphoric acid

Dihexyl Phthalate

and the azelamides such as:
N,N'-dimethyl-N,N'-dihexylazelamide, N,N'-dimethyl-N,N'-di2-ethylhexylazelamide, N,N'-dimethyl-N,N'-di-2-ethylhexylsebacamide

beta-thiopropionitrile

di(2-ethylhexyl)-adipate

For brake fluids: IP

You can't go by odor to determine chemical makeup.

Quit sniffing that stuff or your brain will fall out!
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rosetta
... would a seal swell work in a velumoid gasket? or just synthetic rubbers like bunna and stuff?

Seal conditioners are for conditioning elastomer "seals" such as the nitriles, not gaskets.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quit sniffing that stuff or your brain will fall out!

I made the mistake of sniffing anhydrous ammonia in an organic chemistry lab once. I was lucky; I didn't hit the floor.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back