Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: dr2152
You tilt the engine to adjust the valves. (4 hours every 2000 miles) You remove the carbs to put a new cable on after you tilt the engine. 6 hours. Charging system is a very poor design. But Honda has charging problems on most of their bikes. Old 82 AMF Harley easy to work on. Oil pump problems but that is an easy fix. Leaks some. You need to spend sometime working on bikes.

Don't need to...I do my homework before I buy a bike and I buy one that doesn't need to be worked on...all mine requires is oil and filter changes once in a while, and maybe clean a few filters every now and then...I'd rather ride than turn wrenches any day...

Great for you. 40k 04 Harley Ultra with custom motor. Just tires, breaks, oil changes. 52k on 2010 Harley Limited. Oil change every 5k and rear tire 15-18k may need brakes every other tire. Front tire at 30k with new brakes. Lots of cleaning bugs off. 82 Honda CBX motor is out for carb overhaul.

New bike just had 1k change to get ready for 6,000 three week trip. Maybe a Yamaha RD350 next week is the price is right. It will need some work. But air cooled 2 strokes are easy.

I do my home work too. I don't plan on working on them but I know how. I don't trash talk others bikes or give my opinion about their bike.

Harleys are the best made bikes in the world...there, is that better?

No they're not.
They're the second best.

Grampi,
There's a thread asking about the quality of Motto Guzzi bikes. They have very similar "inferior" designs as Harley. Why haven't you posted any "facts" in that thread?
You don't need to answer, I already know.

Originally Posted By: whip
Grampi,
There's a thread asking about the quality of Motto Guzzi bikes. They have very similar "inferior" designs as Harley. Why haven't you posted any "facts" in that thread?
You don't need to answer, I already know.

Motto Guzzi is such an obscure brand I haven't even bothered to look into them...

I think the correct spelling is MOTO-guzzi not MOTTO-guzzi. One won the iron butt rally a few years ago.

Well to make a long story short ,in 2004 I got a road king classic . Traded in my o3 electglide classic with 40000 miles . The RC was rode till 09 with 62000 miles on it no problems only ever had HD syn oil or Mobil V twin oil . The dealer put 510 g S&S cams in it for me at 30000 and a download to help it . It would run over a 120 mph with ease , They sold to a family member , she had 98000 on memorial weekend , only problem is a seal leak on the transmission .
So don't think they won't last , I rode it every day with three or so 1000 mile days . Good oil plus changing makes a difference . I am a iron butt menber also , so don't sell a Harley short ! I have two now a o2 sporty and a 13 superglide, regular HD 360 in the sporty and Mobil v twin in the superglide . The glide will run eighty on the four lanes in six gear at about 3000 rpm . moral service them , and ride them
Jake

I love hearing about the HDs with 100,000 or even a million miles but is that the best
America can offer in 2 wheels??? mercy where is my American bike that speaks to me like an F22 Raptor???

f-22-raptor_012.jpg

Last edited:
If the F-22 spoke to you after hearing the way you have spoken about American made Harleys....it wouldn't be a good thing for you! LOL!

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Erik Buell Racing[/url]

No dice... Erik's long and ponderous V2 speaks to me like a rock...

BuellPower.JPG

Larry,
Eric's new bikes are nothing like his old Harley powered units. Cycle World just did a comparison of the EBR 1190 to the Ducati 1199 Panigale. The EBR held it's own against the Ducati.
From the article;
Quote:
EBR has built a competitive, relatively affordable superbike, right here in America.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/13/duc...specifications/

If that doesn't speak to you, I don't know what would.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Erik Buell Racing[/url]

No dice... Erik's long and ponderous V2 speaks to me like a rock...

BuellPower.JPG

The new EBR bikes, are NOT the old Harley or later Rotax powered Buell bikes.

Originally Posted By: whip

If that doesn't speak to you, I don't know what would.

Thanks Whip but not only am I a subscriber and have read the article, I've got to pick
Erik's brain in person at the San Mateo Cycle World Show... what speaks to me are not V2s
not even Ducati's latest 1199 Motor of Death... what does speak to me is Ducati's short
and sassy MotoGp V4... if you're like me and I pray to God you're not... Ducati's 1199 V2
is like Muhammad Ali whereas their Desmosedici V4 is like Bruce Lee...

Desmosedici V4 sound... music to the seat of my pants...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDUsbtx8-QY&feature=related#

The new EBR bikes, are NOT the old Harley or later Rotax powered Buell bikes.

True... but give my friend Erik a unlimited budget and a clean sheet of paper and you'll see something other than a long and ponderous V2...

Of all the HD riders i know a few HD running 80K plus without a problem, however, all of them were running stock engines. Those who started messing with them didnt last near as long (25-40k max)

On the argument of metric vs HD...each have their own following, purpose, and ups/downs.

I have rode sports my whole life. 250, 929, 900rr, gsxr600, gsxr750, R1. I have also rode quite a few metric cruisers of a few brands as well as HD.

Each bike has their strong and weak points. My R1 would eat 99% of HD for dinner in the twisties, track, and strip, but a 500 mile plus ride.... I would be in pain like none other.

Modern Harley Davidson are very nice bikes. They target a certain rider and are very good at it. Each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back