PL14459 Cut Open - Large Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last one for the day. I am shocked by this one. It's from my sister's '99 Accord 2.3L. VML for 3k/8months (short tripped). The filter has been sitting (removed) for a little over a year. As a huge Purolator fan, even I have to admit this sucks. Multiple tears, the metal crimp is going THROUGH a pleat (and is not even straight), and the endcap is dented (not from me).

First time I've seen the pleat thing, the tears look like all the rest and there are way too many of them.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

That's disgusting
frown.gif

So I have been using these PureOnes across my family mini-fleet. My planned approach to this situation is a "two strike" approach for each type of filter (one bad filter is an accident, two is carelessness). Four vehicles, four different PureOnes. The filter above is strike one on the 14459. I will be changing the oil on this vehicle again today (~4k/8months). If the filter looks close to or similar to the one above, I will not install a third. Since I have had 2 of 2 good 14610s, I will continue to use (until 2nd "strike"). Does this sound like a reasonable approach to both cases? One or the other?

Sensible (not purohater) answers please.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Since I have had 2 of 2 good 14610s, I will continue to use (until 2nd "strike"). Does this sound like a reasonable approach to both cases? One or the other?

Sensible (not purohater) answers please.

The OP's filter really does look horrible.

I have three more PL14610s, and I will continue to use them unless I observe a problem with them. I've cut open PL14610s and L14610s and I haven't had any problems with either style on my vehicles. Will I buy more? I don't know...maybe not (especially since this seems to be a recent production issue). All of mine were procured many years ago, and don't seem to be stricken with the same flaws as the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back