Using methonal to cut WMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have access to probably 100 gallons of methonal, I currently use stale gas, mixed gas etc to cut but can't really find any info on using methonal to cut my brews. Anyone have a clue? TIA.

When methanol mixes with the right amount of water, it will fall out of solution along with the water. It is why a lot of us used to use isopropanol Gas Dry. Does the methanol you propose to use contain any water? It is difficult to get it anhydrous and keep it that way. If it does have some water in it, you run the risk of it not mizing with the gas and settling out as a discrete layer at the bottom of the tank.

Also, on cold starts, methanaol has a propensity to form formaldehyde and formic acid as it partially oxidizes. It is not something I would want to run in a good engine...maybe a lawn mower???

I'd prefer Ethanol, since methanol having a low BTu will make the mixture too lean and give a hard time for the ECU maybe throwing a CEL ...

Forget it, that a Diesel ...

Last edited:
Wait, you're putting gasoline in your van's diesel fuel?

And now you want to cut the diesel fuel with methanol?

Do you hate this van? Are you hoping the engine will fail from preignition?

Thanks guys, I'll stick with my gas and waste oils routine.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Wait, you're putting gasoline in your van's diesel fuel?

And now you want to cut the diesel fuel with methanol?

Do you hate this van? Are you hoping the engine will fail from preignition?

You really need to do some research on alternate fuels.

If you've got 100 gals of methanol, get yourself 500 gals of waste egetable oil, a few pounds of lye, and make biodiesel to add to your alternate fuels...

You will end up with a fair bit of glycerine to dispose of (or be creative), but it's a fun job (I only make it in half gal continers, use it as an additive (in engine oil, and fuel of gas/diesel cars)...not that often, only when I get enough dry alcohol.)...there's a couple players who partially esterify the oil, and have a partially thinned ester/glyceriene "fuel", which carries sodium/potassium from the lye...I wouldn't do that without an inline pump, and probably not then.

Or you could get on a biodiesel forum, and swap them the meth for some finished fuel...

While talking same, been looking at stuff for a while on using E85 to make biodiesel.

Methanol is a pain to get in Oz, E85, marginally less so...would have (hopefully) unreacted petrol in the mix

Thanks Shannow but way too much work, lol. I'll just let the guy keep it, he's adding it to his gas car.

Methanol in engine oil?

I also don't want to mix WVO and WMO, they can form some viscous sludge and weird build in the fuel system and internally in the engine.

I've used the biodiesel in engine oil as an additive, not the alcohols themselves.

Schaeffers have a similar product, and AutoRx is sort of a lanolin biodiesel if you study the patent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back