Cleaning Engine Internals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mystic
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Don't speak for me Trajan. I will speak for myself. I have not used Auto-RX in years.

It wasn't me who wrote all those posts. It was you. It was those posts that played a big part in my using it during my anecdote acceptance years.

So don't blame me if you now reject what is by your lights evidence. And don't whine about it now.

I'm giving you credit for steering me to use a product that in your own words many people have used with success.

Don't care if you stopped using it. I haven't used it either. But that doesn't change the fact that you praised it over and over.

Shouldn't of called me out in an above post Mystic.

Trajan sometimes seems to not remember what he wrote. So here is what he said in his own words.

He says (Quote): Don't care if you stopped using it. I haven't used it either."

I find it kind of strange that somebody would say an oil supplement was the only one he believes in, and encourages people to use it, and to use his own words: "I haven't used it either.' So if he does not use the product, WHY IS HE ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO USE IT AND WHY DOES HE SAY HE IS 100% CONVINCED THAT AUTO-RX WORKS?

Now, Auto-RX is a cleaning product and is not really intended to be used all the time. Although a person is encouraged to use a maintenance dose. I know. I used Auto-RX years ago. But if I believed in a product I would certainly use it. And if Trajan believes in this product so strongly he should still be using maintenance doses. But he says that he has not used it. Read his own words.

Meanwhile, sprintman always encourages people to use double the recommended amount and drive further than the directions state. Is a double dose actually required? Is more mileage than in the directions actually required?

I would much rather take advice from Trav (a professional mechanic) and demarpaint. In the case of demarpaint he has used MMO for some 40 years. And Trav has had success with Kreen in some dirty engines and Kreen is made by Kano Labs, a professional company.

depending on sump size. One bottle in an 8 quart sump like my Falcon won't be as good as one bottle in my 4 quart sump Forester. Stands to reason so the Falcon usually gets two bottles until recently. Trying a new methodology on the Falcon but very early days...........

sprintman-how many times do u have to clean a engine? Are you getting them clean the first time? You said-"Your Falcon usually gets two bottles until recently." I cleaned project car engines up, and engines neglected by friends and prev. owners and they stayed clean once good oil was used and changed when required. Just asking that's all.

That is exactly correct. How many times does a person have to clean an engine? Isn't the cleaning product working?

When I used Auto-RX a long time ago in the past it was supposed to clean the engine after the cleaning and rinse phrases and then a smaller maintenance dose was recommended to keep the engine clean. And I don't remember two or more bottles of Auto-RX being recommended unless a person had an engine with a very large oil sump. During the rinse phrase no Auto-RX was supposed to be used and the maintenance dose was something like 4 oz. I also think a person was supposed to drive only 3000 miles during the cleaning phrase. But it has been a long time and I can't remember exactly.

A lot easier (and cheaper) just to buy Kreen and use it. Or MMO with 20% or 25% being MMO and the rest being oil.

Again, before using any of these cleaning products, it would probably be a good idea just to try a good cleaning motor oil (like Mobil 1) with short OCIs. If that gets the job done fine. As long as you use an oil of the correct viscosity and that meets all of the vehicle requirements there is no way you will get in trouble just using a good cleaning motor oil with short OCIs.

You should be able to see that I am not trying to convince anybody to use a certain product. I am not saying that a certain product is the best and everything else is trash. I am not trying to promote any product. In fact I say try a good cleaning motor oil first. And there are various motor oils that are supposed to be good such as Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Ultra.

MMO is readily available at my local Wal-Mart Store. A bottle costs about $5.00 or less. I still use it in the fuel of my car and in the fuel of my lawnmower and I am going to use it in the fuel of my wheeled weed trimmer. So I actually use the product.

I have not used Kreen. It is available from Kano Labs. Trav says that he had success with it cleaning some engines and Trav is a professional mechanic. I might use it someday.

There are other products. Auto-RX of course. Lubegard Engine Flush. Amsoil Engine Flush. Take your pick. Does it look like I am promoting a certain product?

I don't have any sort of connections to any of the companies that make these products. All I care about is that a product works and is not too expensive.

I read the Oil Additives Section here to find out about various products. If people are allowed to write about various products here and not interrupted by somebody trying to promote some product.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Originally Posted By: rockydee

Lunchtime laggards, cool name. I don't see how it applies to a tech with Trav's credentials, but still a cool name.

Lunchtime legends actually.
smile.gif

To quote the late and much missed Gary Allan....

"Sure. MMO will probably do as you prescribe. But I have no need to adulterate perfectly blended, state of the art lubricants with it....

Auto-Rx is a much more elegant product than MMO. Yes, it's surely more expensive, but I feel that you do get what you pay for.

Feel free to use MMO and get whatever you can out of it. I just can't see tampering with a perfectly good oil to prevent something that should not occur. Auto-Rx, outside of the one natural ester component, is a friction modifier and an ester base stock. In a normal engine, a routine decoking of the rings every 50k-75k works well. In a problem engine, once clean, the maintenance dose would probably be the best way to go.

But as I said, enjoy the benefits of MMO as you perceive them."

Thanks for the correction, spell check taken for granted. I read some of the late GA's posts too.He had a gift for writing. He had some success with mmo too, then became an rx consultant at some point. Employee of sorts? I haven't read all of it.

Perceive, good word, unless my eyes are failing I've actually seen results. Don't believe me, I don't expect you too. Perceive applies to rx too if you think about it.

I also read that rx gets real thick and almost freezes in the winter. People left it in the garage and it was useless until heated. That doesn't mess with the so called delicate balance of the oil? Any proof? Or is it something the maker will tell you is fine?

I could have sworn I read somewhere of a guy putting it in a transfer case during the winter and it rendered it useless, he had to heat it up to get it out so the trans case would work again.

I think we might possibly agree on one point. A good oil needs nothing in a well maintained engine that's clean. So leave the mmo on the store shelf, and the rx in Florida if you have a good running well maintained engine.
smile.gif

-4C when I added RX the other day without a problem as I have for 12 years. Some people just go looking for problems and yes they usually find 'em.

The last bottle I had from the original purchase many years ago I added to the Z4. In winter. And the car never saw the inside of a garage.

Not only did it not freeze, it fixed a problem MMO failed to. (thought the latter did, but said problem returned.

The question

So now he says that Auto-RX is great, the one oil additive that he believes in. But in his reply above in this post, that anybody can read, at one point he says he does not use Auto-RX.

Ummm, it was *you* who uttered those words.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...5952#Post265952

I fully support Auto-RX and Frank also. As far as Frank is concerned, I have very rarely ever dealt with a nicer person. Two of the nicest people I have ever bought stuff from are Tim Mills (who sells Schaeffer's Oil products) and Frank of Auto-RX.

Auto-RX works. I don't work for GM or Ford or Toyota but I can tell you it works. I had some seepage of oil around gaskets and I tried Valvoline MaxLife, which is supposed to stop and prevent oil leakage. Although the Valvoline seemed to work good in my car as a motor oil, it really did nothing for the oil leakage. But after I did two treatments with Auto-RX the oil seepage stopped. My car also runs better and I think that this is a combination of finding fuel system cleaners that work, and Auto-RX.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...5078#Post265078

Let me tell you, w8liftr, Auto-RX really works!
I would recommend Auto-RX to anybody..... Frank Miller, the guy who sells Auto-RX, is really a cool guy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...5178#Post265178

had a slight seal leak, so I tried Valvoline MaxLife oil, which is supposed to have special seal conditioners. I actually liked the oil-it seemed to run good in my car. But MaxLife did nothing about the seal leak. I then tried Auto-RX, and after a couple of treatments it stopped the leak! I have no evidence or anything, but I think those high mileage oils are over-rated, at least when it comes to solving oil leaks from seals. I think a person is better off using a good conventional oil, like Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, or Chevron, and using Auto-RX. After the cleaning, 3 oz. of Auto-RX can be used in the oil to keep the engine clean. Auto-RX is the ONLY oil additive that I am 100% certain works. I am pretty much turned off from oil additives anyway, but not Auto-RX.

It's nice to have an eidetic memory.

Oh and yes, in reply to your "I haven't used ARX in years", the reply was that I haven't either. Which means, I haven't used it years either.

Last edited:
Just wondering why when placed in a freezer the stuff just about freezes? Then I read or heard about it having to be heated up to get it out of a transfer case in the winter. I keep reading about oil formulations being a delicate blend of additives tested etc, and rx has no impact, yet other additives have or can have a negative impact. What's it gonna be fellas?

Something that needs to be heated to pour if stored in a cold space is not something I want to pour in my engine. Anyone have a bottle of rx laying around toss in in your freezer over night and report back. Let me know if you'd add it to your oil, especially when thin is supposed to be in.

Hey Trajan toss a bottle in the freezer and report back. Added to oil it has no impact, funny mmo thins, lucas thickens, rx no impact? Sorry I'm not believing it.

Last edited:
The question

So now he says that Auto-RX is great, the one oil additive that he believes in. But in his reply above in this post, that anybody can read, at one point he says he does not use Auto-RX.

Ummm, it was *you* who uttered those words.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...5952#Post265952

I fully support Auto-RX and Frank also. As far as Frank is concerned, I have very rarely ever dealt with a nicer person. Two of the nicest people I have ever bought stuff from are Tim Mills (who sells Schaeffer's Oil products) and Frank of Auto-RX.

Auto-RX works. I don't work for GM or Ford or Toyota but I can tell you it works. I had some seepage of oil around gaskets and I tried Valvoline MaxLife, which is supposed to stop and prevent oil leakage. Although the Valvoline seemed to work good in my car as a motor oil, it really did nothing for the oil leakage. But after I did two treatments with Auto-RX the oil seepage stopped. My car also runs better and I think that this is a combination of finding fuel system cleaners that work, and Auto-RX.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...5078#Post265078

Let me tell you, w8liftr, Auto-RX really works!
I would recommend Auto-RX to anybody..... Frank Miller, the guy who sells Auto-RX, is really a cool guy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...5178#Post265178

had a slight seal leak, so I tried Valvoline MaxLife oil, which is supposed to have special seal conditioners. I actually liked the oil-it seemed to run good in my car. But MaxLife did nothing about the seal leak. I then tried Auto-RX, and after a couple of treatments it stopped the leak! I have no evidence or anything, but I think those high mileage oils are over-rated, at least when it comes to solving oil leaks from seals. I think a person is better off using a good conventional oil, like Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, or Chevron, and using Auto-RX. After the cleaning, 3 oz. of Auto-RX can be used in the oil to keep the engine clean. Auto-RX is the ONLY oil additive that I am 100% certain works. I am pretty much turned off from oil additives anyway, but not Auto-RX.

It's nice to have an eidetic memory.

Oh and yes, in reply to your "I haven't used ARX in years", the reply was that I haven't either. Which means, I haven't used it years either.

He changed his mind, get over it. Ever like a person, then he/she does something and [censored] you off and you dislike that person? It happens, move on.

Maybe Mystic realized over the years and thousands of threads that rx isn't what its cracked up to be. That happens too. Look how you did an mmo about face.

In the end who cares? lol

He will keep that kind of stuff up forever rockydee. That is a reflection on what sort of person he is. At least he finally said that he did use Auto-RX. It was kind of confusing when he both said he had tried it and that he does not use it in the same reply. But I can't write his posts and replies for him. I personally have not used Auto-RX for many years.

I am not going to keep going over all of the reasons I stopped using Auto-RX. I had good reasons. But the people who promote Auto-RX and interrupt posts about MMO or Kreen turn me off. If some of these guys who promote Auto-RX were working in an auto parts store I would turn around and walk out.

I have used Auto-RX. They supposedly changed the formula somewhat a while back but what I remember is that it was so thick in the cold it would not flow out of the container. Kind of like how STP was. You had to heat the stuff to make it flow if the container had gotten cold. I was afraid to use Auto-RX in the wintertime. I thought it might interfere with the flow of the oil. I only used it in warmer temperatures and after I saw what cold temperature did to it I always stored the bottles inside my house rather than the garage.

The claim was that once it was in the oil it did not matter if it was cold. But if you put something very thick into oil it seems to me it has to have some effect on the flow characteristics of the oil.

What made me think that Auto-RX works is that a seal leak stopped after I used Auto-RX. Maybe it can stop seal leaks. But regardless what its effectiveness is as to cleaning engines there are other, cheaper products that can do the job. I have not used Kreen but Trav is a professional mechanic and I trust what he says. And demarpaint has used MMO for about 40 years. And there are other products like Amsoil engine flush, Lubegard engine flush, and so forth. Auto-RX costs something like $26.00 a bottle and in comparison Kreen I think costs something like $13.00 and MMO $5.00 a bottle or so.

But a good cleaning motor oil can potentially clean an engine up somewhat and you are going to have to change oil anyway so why not try a good cleaning motor oil first? Makes sense to me.

I was very impressed with Auto-RX when I first used it because of how the seal leak stopped. After I found out more and after all of the stuff that happened here I wished I had never heard of the stuff.

In my opinion they need to find better promoters for Auto-RX here. I don't know how it helps them for a guy to say he uses double the recommended amount and drives double the recommended distance. Right away people are going to say to themselves it is expensive and according to this guy you have to use two bottles of the stuff-it must not work too well.

I also do not think they are helped by rude guys who interrupt the posts of other people. If I am reading a post about MMO I get irritated if some guy suddenly shows up and starts saying that MMO is trash and I should use Auto-RX which is the real deal and the only oil supplement anybody ever needs. All other oil supplements are garbage.

This was fun. Smart people who want to clean an engine should check the archives. Spend time, look at the locked threads. See why they were locked down. See who has an agenda, who is the real deal, count positive reviews, and negative reviews from actual users of these sacred elixirs. Decide based on that.

Remember: A fool and his money---------.
Don't clean your engine unless it needs cleaning.
Never change your mind.
If you post about a product expect some heat.

Most important, no one really cares what you do or what you use.

I'm done!
Rocky Dee out.

sprintman-how many times do u have to clean a engine? Are you getting them clean the first time? You said-"Your Falcon usually gets two bottles until recently." I cleaned project car engines up, and engines neglected by friends and prev. owners and they stayed clean once good oil was used and changed when required. Just asking that's all.

Falcons plural. Got a newish one (2005) and now one bottle of Rx Plus on trial but it's a big sump and filter, about 8 quarts and one probably isn't enough. One in the Forester but it's a small sump. Always trying different methodologies

Originally Posted By: Trav
If i knew it would get your knickers in such a twist i would have posted something different.
lol.gif

Actually I couldn't give a [censored] but whatever floats your boat...

Wow after a 2 week vacation I finally got to sit down and read this thread. I mean really read it, wow.

The resident MMO junkie/shill is considering Rislone in his son's Rav4. I see it got some good reviews while I was away. That's a name that has been around longer than MMO, maybe it will become the next Bitog cleaning favorite. Who knows if it works I may even become a convert. LOL

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Wow after a 2 week vacation I finally got to sit down and read this thread. I mean really read it, wow.

The resident MMO junkie/shill is considering Rislone in his son's Rav4. I see it got some good reviews while I was away. That's a name that has been around longer than MMO, maybe it will become the next Bitog cleaning favorite. Who knows if it works I may even become a convert. LOL

It's always such fun around here. Hope you had a great time!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It's always such fun around here. Hope you had a great time!

I did buddy! I got to spend quality time with my son, and sail across the Pacific on a US Navy Destroyer. Awesome!

You don't look like type of person who gets "vacation" from BITOG imposed upon him :) We can all agree that there are few here who could certainly use such a "vacation"!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
You don't look like type of person who gets "vacation" from BITOG imposed upon him :) We can all agree that there are few here who could certainly use such a "vacation"!

LOL- Thanks Vikas, this was a vacation I decided to take. I'm sure there are a few people in need of a "vacation" from Bitog, and others hoping mine was permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back