1938 La Salle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent the 4th helping an old man move out of his house and into an intermediate care facility. In his garage was a 1938 La Salle in perfect condition. The car was shipped today to a collector in Texas. The collector paid way too much for the car in an effort to help defray his healthcare expenses.

I though you'd like to hear what this man did for maintenance. He is the original and only owner of the car. He purchased it new and when drafted for WWII he put it up on blocks for the duration to be put back into service if he came back, which he did. You might have an argument with his system but you must take into consideration the times and accept the fact that it all worked well.

He used 30w ND oil and changed it every 2k miles as part of what they used to call a lube job, getting all those Zerk fittings and other lubrication points that are missing in modern cars. He also added a homemade bypass filter that used compacted toilet paper for the 3 elements and changed it when it did not feel warm when the engine was up to normal temp. He added an Oildex crankcase ventilation device that filtered the crankcase vapors and allowed the filtered vapor to condense back into the crankcase. He also installed a coolant filter that used zink chromate to protect the cooling system along with water pump lubricant and several sacrificial disks and no antifreeze. He also added an overflow jar to condense vapor from the radiator and allow it to be sucked back into the cooling system. He did this by modifying the radiator cap and installing a pressure relief cap on the overflow jar. Upon cooling fluid would be sucked back into the system. He called it a cooling system burper. He said getting air pockets out of the cooling system helped it to work more efficiently and it helped to prevent corrosion and damage to the water pumps. He changes the dif, tranny and brake fluid every year. He also cleaned the various magnets on the oil pan, transmission, dif and the special fuel filter/water separator he made and along with an electric fuel pump/pressure regulator from an airplane that he installed at the fuel tank.

He asked me to help him service the vehicle a couple of years ago when he turned 90 and started having difficulty getting it done. The car has 179K miles on it and it runs like new. It's never been apart and the biggest repair was a clutch replacement and a couple of brake jobs and an alignment when he changed to radial tires. This car was always kept in a garage and the paint was protected with Turtle Wax. Actually, I think this car is good to go for another 76 years.

Interesting story indeed. But I do have question. If car is 76 years old and the original owner is 92, did he buy this expensive car at age 16? Must have come from a very wealthy family!

Originally Posted By: Burt
Interesting story indeed. But I do have question. If car is 76 years old and the original owner is 92, did he buy this expensive car at age 16? Must have come from a very wealthy family!

His father purchased the care but was stuck in a wheelchair, polio. His son got his license at 16 and was the only driver of the car. So, in effect he was the original owner/driver. His father died a couple of years later. The mother had previously died of a fever that could not be cured. Life in those days was a bit tougher than today. The father was an engineer for an airplane manufacturer in Burbank. I guess the engineering talent was inherited by the son who because a pilot in WWII and an engineer for an aircraft company in San Diego after the war.

Good story. Only thing missing is pics!

Makes me wonder if the new owner is best off just doing the same exact service. 179kmiles? Isn't that like 150k past typical rebuild time, back in those days?

Worry not. The new owner has a complete hand written schedule and has promised to faithfully follow it. Success is easy to follow.

Update. The La Salle received a complete service at a shop that specializes in pre-war vehicles and they followed the old man's hand written instructions. The only other items of note were the replacement of the tires and spare, the w/shield wiper blades, generator brushes and one tube in the Crosley radio and the rebuilding of 4 shocks and a tune up with the usual replacement parts plus a set of spark plug wires and a new coil. Not bad for an old car. And finally a complete wash and detail using Turtle Wax as specified including a shampoo job on the upholstery and headliner.

La Salle, as I recall without looking it up, was quite the luxury marque in those days -- one step below, or maybe above, a Cadillac? Not sure. But I'll bet it's a dynamite car and should be featured in one of the classic car magazines.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
La Salle, as I recall without looking it up, was quite the luxury marque in those days -- one step below, or maybe above, a Cadillac? Not sure. But I'll bet it's a dynamite car and should be featured in one of the classic car magazines.

LaSalle was positioned just below Cadillac. It's been fairly common knowledge that GM killed off LaSalle because the division was siphoning off sales from Cadillac. One of the only times I can think of that a division was eliminated because sales were too good!

My Dad had a '39 LaSalle after he graduated high school. It's the only car he still wishes he still had.

Originally Posted By: chestand
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

LaSalle was positioned just below Cadillac. It's been fairly common knowledge that GM killed off LaSalle because the division was siphoning off sales from Cadillac. One of the only times I can think of that a division was eliminated because sales were too good!

My Dad had a '39 LaSalle after he graduated high school. It's the only car he still wishes he still had.
Lots of info on the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1938_Cadillac_Series_65.jpg
http://www.motorera.com/lasalle/1938.htm#photos
http://www.cadillacdatabase.org/Dbas_txt/Las1938.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zff6UGJ9A_4
http://www.clcsocal.com/webpages/classified/old/1938dc.html

In the days when I built plastic car models, I don't think I ever saw a model of a La Salle. The 1930s cars that were available from AMT were the Model A Ford and 1936 Ford, the 1940 (with a 1939 grille included in case you wanted to build it that way), and Aurora or Monogram offered a Rolls-Royce. That was about it. The focus was on customizing kits, turning '32 Fords into hot rods, etc., and on more modern cars, the "Tri-Five" Chevies and then-current cars like the Jag E-Type, Sting Ray, Mustang, and Lincoln Continental. Did any company ever issue a La Salle kit?

sounds like a man that a book needs to made about him. i think he is a guy any one would have been honored to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back