Automotive replacement glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-Where do the automotive glass companies like PGW and Safelite get their specs for the windsheild replacement glass?Do they go directly to the vehical manufactures? I know some of these companies are OEM and OEE.Thanks Joe

Safelite manufactures their own products. From the Safelite website:
"About Safelite® Glass Corp.

The nation's largest exclusively domestic producer of windshields for the vehicle glass replacement market, Safelite® Glass Corp. has a manufacturing facility in Enfield, N.C. as well as two distribution centers located in Ontario, Calif. and Braselton, Ga. The manufacturing facility serves all of the Safelite® Group retail units and the customers of Safelite Group's wholesale operations, Service AutoGlass®. The Safelite® Glass Corp. manufacturing and distribution facilities are ISO-9001 certified."

Suggest you contact the glass company you intend to deal with if you are concerned about their product offered.

I have had Safelite replace two windshields for me(Kansas City area shop). The work and product was fine. Like most automotive shops, your experience may vary.

I'm having my front windshield replaced by Safelite.I've had them do work in the past with no problems.I believe Safelite struck a deal with AGC to manufacture AGC glass.I was told that the windshield glass they will be installing is from APtech which is owned by AGC.They make OEM glass for GM/BMW and MB and others.Joe

For Ford, Carlite is the OEM glass manufacturer in North America. Mazda seems to have used Carlite for the US made models and Saint Globan Sekurit for the Japanese made models.

Just my opinion, but I won't use Safelite replacement windshields. I'll use exclusively OEM, or PPG in some select substitutions. For some vehicles, the windshield is a structural member.

Our CR-V had a Safelite windshield in before we bought it. It was replaced after a wreck we had in it with a Pilkington windshield. The wreck was a minor fender bender, but the shop said that sometimes it tweaks the car just enough for the glass to get a hairline crack you can't see...but it begins to spread during paint bake. Both glass brands seemed to be of acceptable quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back