Run Amsoil now, Schaeffers a better option ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, New to BITOG. I have ran amsoil 12tbn diesel & marine oil since 5k miles in my o6 Duramax LBZ. Just recently I discovered my fuel supplier stocks Schaeffers. I use the preferred customer program from amsoil so my oil is about $24 a gallon, the filter is $14
Problem is shipping makes the deal not as lucrative, especially since amsoil charges tax. I'm pretty sure I can get the 9000 series for about the same if not a $ or 2 cheaper. My in-laws swear by schaeffers. I am considering converting from the amsoil w/eao52 to either 7000 or 9000 series and an ACDelco filter. I currently run 10k mile OCI's and sample at that time.

Both oils are great oils. I don't know if either one has any clear performance advantages over the other.

Can you longer on your oil change intervals. Since our vehicles values drop like a rock and I look at the lowest cost to keep my machines running through their life.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Both oils are great oils. I don't know if either one has any clear performance advantages over the other.

I've always wondered why in comparisons made by both companies why neither is put against the other.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Can you longer on your oil change intervals. Since our vehicles values drop like a rock and I look at the lowest cost to keep my machines running through their life.

Under normal conditions I would. But I run it pretty hard and it's tuned to around 525hp. 10k is a stretch but I've kept with it.

My concern would be the change in filters i've used the Amsoil EAO filters those are really good filters. If I was to make the switch, I wouldn't but if I was I would opt for a Dondaldson filter or maybe a Fleetguard.

Both good oils but the shipping/tax kills Ams for a great deal,if you can get the Schaeffer's with Tax exempt go for it very good oil.

i run there #238 because i get at cost with out tax so very good price.

Schaeffers makes great products, but if you have a business and get Schaeffers tax free, why don't you forget about PC and sign up with Amsoil as a commercial account? (It's free and same and even lower prices too!)

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Originally Posted By: BobFout

I've always wondered why in comparisons made by both companies why neither is put against the other.

They are both low volume outfits and market to different market segments. Amsoil to the enthusiast and Schaeffer to commercial accounts. Yes, some crossover, but mainly Amsoil to people who baby their cars and Schaeffer to companies that buy oil by the drum.

JD, give Schaeffer a try. You might like it better and you can't go wrong. It will be interesting after a couple of oil changes to compare analysis results. I run Schaeffer in our turbo Volvo and Tundra, all with 10k ODI. I've tried both 7000 & 9000 series products and can't really tell a difference. The 9000 probably has a longer ultimate life, but I don't run either to the end of their useful life.

I'll bite on a an old thread.

I use Schaeffer in all my personal and commercial stuff. I get the 9000 5w40 synthetic for around $23 a gallon, delivered free, and free oil sample kits and analysis thrown in. I sometimes use the 7000 15w40 synthetic blend, and it is around $20 a gallon, delivered free and free kits and analysis. While Amsoil may have their business or commercial account thing, I have yet to see them throw in free shipping and free oil sample kits with free analysis in the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back