picked up 1995 Sc 300; MC 5w-30 or 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I picked up a 1995 Lexus Sc 300, gold on gold with the gold package in mint condition and it came from the state of PA.

I know, my name is Accord V6 but I either I was a victim of road rage or my own careless driving, not sure what occurred, and banged it up too much in a road tiffee- insurance made it a total loss and I got more then I needed for the 95 Lexus!

As you can discern by my name, I had a 06 Accord and that car was originally specd for 5w-30 but CAFE back-specd to 5w-20 so I used MC 5w-20. Got an e-manual on my '95 Sc and it calls for 5w-30 but don't know what CAFE back specd it to.

Although I changed cars from that honda V6 to a toyota mid 1990s V6, should I stay with the 5w-30 or should I make the "jump" or "drop" to 5w-20? CAFE dictated I use 5w-20 on my Honda and I did but this 95 Lex Sc calls for 5w-30 and looking for someone to convince me to use 5w-20.

I do not know if the toyota engine was back-specd to 5w-20 from 5w-30 based on CAFE standards etc. Even if it doesn't, I am still contemplating using MC 5w-20 syn blend but was looking for reasons to use a 30 weight or maybe MC 5w-30. Is the MC 30 weight full synthetic or a syn blend? Got a ton of work ahead, Help!

Last edited:
I doubt Toyota back spec'd 5w20 that far...so I would stick with the OM recommendation of 5w30. ...

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
My ES300 loves Valvoline 5w30.

You know your engine is completely different that the OP's, right? His is an inline 6... yours is a V.

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
My ES300 loves Valvoline 5w30.

I did one OCI of Valvoline Maxlife which is Valvoline's high mileage oil, on my Honda but just once to condition the seals. My new car, this SC seems to like things a little different. for example, the Lexus seems to like Exxon gas while my Honda loved Chevron and sometimes Shell so maybe I should stick with 5w-30 and not necessarily jump to 5w-20 even-though I could get mpg gains not to mention some performance too using MC 5w-20.

I would only use Max life if I chose Valvoline and with only 125k on the ODO, I don't feel I need or should try a high mileage or extended performance oil.

So to amend my question. If I am interested in BOTH mpg and perf. gains, should I switch to MC 5w-20 or stick with 30 weight. we ALL know how good mc 5w-20 oil is and I have no leaks to worry about so it would make it an ideal time to try too.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I doubt Toyota back spec'd 5w20 that far...so I would stick with the OM recommendation of 5w30. ...

Yeah, I am leaning to my first OCI being MC 5w-30 and then deciding on the 5w-20 AFTER doing 1 OCI of MC 5w-30.

Last edited:
Yes, Lexus did back spec 1995 and newer 2JZ-GE engines in the IS, GS, and SC models to 5w20 a few years ago. I also have a 1995 SC300 and a GS300. I've run 5w20 in the GS, not in the SC, but I'm sure it would be fine.

This is the oil recommendation chart for Lexus of Canada, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2467275&page=1

It's very similar to one I saw for Toyota and Lexus US cars, which I can't seem to find now. Not all Lexus models were sold in Canada, but you can get the general ideal from this chart

I always needed a reason to use MC 5w-30 and this might be the best one yet. Atleast try the MC 5w-30 for the initial or very first OCI I will come up on shortly. I really LOVED the performance and FE gains I made using it on the 2006 Honda V6 and hoping to match or exceed satisfaction levels with the toyo V6.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1666844

Anyone have this in-line V6 on the Toyo/Lexus before. Is this car easy on oil and I saw the chart on here and it says the Sc 400 can use 5w-20 so I imagine the Sc300 can use 5w-20 as well. I am mainly interested in the FE gains of the 5w-20 if I can pull off the anti-wear etc. This is NA just str8 Inline V6 so no turbo to worry about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
in-line V6

Please stop saying that.

Please.

Its just an inline 6. And just because the v8 in the sc400 was back spec'd does not mean that the inline 6 is back spec'd also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back