Out of balance tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

On a recent road trip I noticed the cabin and steering wheel would vibrate at 70MPH or so. The vibration would stop at speeds over 80MPH and wasn't detectable at speeds below 70MPH.
My tires were installed in March (Toyo Proxes 4 Plus) and currently have 7500 miles, however I recently plasti-dipped the wheels.

I suspect the plasti-dip offset the balance, I can see some over spray got onto the inside of the wheel, where the wheel weights are located. I'll have the tires re-balanced this weekend, any idea what could be causing the vibration if it isn't the balance?

-Thanks

I can't see plasti-dip causing the balance to be thrown off enough to make them vibrate.

Have you hit any potholes or curbs lately? Done any balancing or tire rotations since they were installed?

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
I can't see plasti-dip causing the balance to be thrown off enough to make them vibrate.

Have you hit any potholes or curbs lately? Done any balancing or tire rotations since they were installed?

This

I had them rotated 2k miles ago, I've hit many potholes, some larger than others. The winter absolutely killed roads in the NYC and Long Island area. I try my best to avoid potholes but in dense traffic you can't do anything about it sometimes.

The road vibration occurs on most roads but on some roads it feels worse. I've driven on a few roads were it hardly happened or was greatly minimized. I also noticed I had 45 PSI in each tire, I lowered it down to 35 (Factory spec), that helped a bit.

Thanks everyone for the info, It's probably is due to all the potholes, this year it's been terrible.

Potholes will def throw your tires outta whack... Get them balanced this weekend as you mentioned and you will be fine. For a little extra feel good, talk them them in to a road force balance if they offer it for no additional charge.

Originally Posted By: Swift101

On a recent road trip I noticed the cabin and steering wheel would vibrate at 70MPH or so. The vibration would stop at speeds over 80MPH and wasn't detectable at speeds below 70MPH.
My tires were installed in March (Toyo Proxes 4 Plus) and currently have 7500 miles, however I recently plasti-dipped the wheels.

Have the tire shop look for wheel and tire run-out. Not matter how perfectly the wheel/tire assembly is balanced, if there it too much run-out you will still get vibrations. I just went through this with one of my front tires on my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back