$12.79 for Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much is $12.79 worth? I went to Robertitos Taco Shop for dinner last night and had 3 shredded beef tacos, a little bit of rice, a little bit of refried beans, and a bottle of Juarritos mandarin orange soda - all for the grand total $12.79. If a person was to eat that meal everyday, it would cost them $383.70 per month. Now granted, the taste is spectacular, but for $12.79 I should be able to stuff my self to gills for that amount of money. I was nowhere near full when I walked out of there. Maybe I'm old fashioned and $12.79 is not alotta money no more.
21.gif

12.79 does not buy much today. Thus when someone on here was practically bragging his company was hiring for jobs with a 40K a year salary I chimed in and stated this is not really that great. The median income in the U.S. is 51K a year.

I believe the older demographic of this website skews the present realities.

There's a taco shop near me called El Vaquero. For about half what you spent, I can get a carne asada burrito that is too big to eat (comfortably) at one sitting. Robertito's sounds a little high to me.

Did you have to stand at a counter and order it, or did someone wait on you? Not that it affects the quality of the food, but for $12.79 I'd feel better about it if someone brought it to me. I don't know why. But if it is spectacular, I'm ok with a $13 treat, but certainly not an every day meal.

$6 gets you a whole cooked bbq chicken at most supermarts..
$3 gets you potato salad and slaw for 2...
$2 gets you a couple of drinks...

$2 in gas gets you to a nice parking spot...bring a blanket and picnic...(bring a cooler as well for any leftovers)

...priceless...

Last edited:
Sounds about right, you made it sound like you got one taco for that much...

The drink itself goes for 2-4 bucks in LA. the "little bit if rice" and "refried beans" is ussual for combos adds a couple more bucks, 3 tacos for 7 bucks, sounds about right.

unless its taco bell/del taco.

In LA people pay 3 bucks / 20 minutes for parking...

Last edited:
Go to Pepe's in Oxinard and get 10 slider tacos and an extra thing of salsa for that.

Bring your own water and be full and happy.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Maybe I'm old fashioned and $12.79 is not alotta money no more.

Well, it isn't, Merk, but if you're not satisfied with the portions, then that's not acceptable. I have a rather hefty appetite, even though I'm a little guy. When I do cook at home, which is rare, I can go through a lot of groceries and wolf down a lot of money, unless I'm forcing myself to live on eggs, bread, and weiners (which I fortunately love).

If I'm making a meal with [real non-weiner] meat and a dessert, I'd be hard pressed to eat for under $12.79. That's one reason I like my buffets.

......sounds like someone should have gone to Taco Town
laugh.gif

1339652773412.gif

I'm all for a good occasional pig out, but if you equate $$ + MOAR FOOD = Good?, then you might be lacking in the finesse that is sometimes needed with food.

Still sounds good though, I haven't had good Tacos/Burritos that I haven't made myself since they closed Chevys........, Moe's Southwest isn't great, and I haven't gotten to try Chipotle yet.

Hello, Not too long ago there were several family owned and operated (FOO's?) Mexican restaurants handy. They were cheap because the ingredients were cheap and the labor was too.

I'm under the impression the families involved caught on to one of the reasons people go out; the convenience.
Their prices have gone up to where "what you get" is now underscored.
The menu selections have expanded as well. It all adds up to upward pressure on prices.
Mexican restaurants aren't as rudimentary and fun anymore. They're more swank now.
That's not the end of the world. It's just a statement of my point of view.

Now, for a twist, ever gone to a Taco Bell? There you have bloated prices and shrunken portions.
Those are by far the worst value for the money. Kira

No thanks. If I want true Mexican style food I'll make it myself. The quality and taste will be far better, I can make it much healthier, and I don't have to trust my food to a minimum wage employee.

I've never figured out why people who obsess over the perfect oil for their vehicle will stuff their faces with garbage fast food.

We can easily eat quality, healthy meals for $8/day each (yes, all 3 meals) and yet you manage to spend almost $13 for a single garbage meal.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
No thanks. If I want true Mexican style food I'll make it myself. The quality and taste will be far better, I can make it much healthier, and I don't have to trust my food to a minimum wage employee.

It's a different world where OP is in California, one can actually get authentic mexican food there unlike you and I in the midwest
wink.gif

Decent tex mex dish is around 12-15 dollars here.

On every corner.

The drinks are 8-10 dollars, top shelf liquor.

That is where they get you.

Eating out is rarely a good value. I avoid it myself. Having said that, 10-15 bucks for a medium-large meal is pretty typical.

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

It's a different world where OP is in California, one can actually get authentic mexican food there unlike you and I in the midwest
wink.gif

we just have to worry about our favorite cook getting deported.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How much is $12.79 worth? I went to Robertitos Taco Shop for dinner last night and had 3 shredded beef tacos, a little bit of rice, a little bit of refried beans, and a bottle of Juarritos mandarin orange soda - all for the grand total $12.79. If a person was to eat that meal everyday, it would cost them $383.70 per month. Now granted, the taste is spectacular, but for $12.79 I should be able to stuff my self to gills for that amount of money. I was nowhere near full when I walked out of there. Maybe I'm old fashioned and $12.79 is not alotta money no more.
21.gif

Drink free water instead of buying that soda. If water there is not free, inform waitress or cash register clerk after the meal, that they will never see your face again.

Works for me. I do it at gas stations now that never have paper in their credit card receipt housing at the pump. The reason I charge gas is because I do not want to go in the store asking for a receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back