Ford's IOLM and Ecoboost engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent an email to Ford about their IOLM and gasoline dilution seen in some GDI engines. It took a while, but I actually got a response from them that was pretty detailed.

First is my inquiry:

Quote:
This is a question in regard to the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor on our 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium. I have read all the information about the system, I still have a question: There appear to be issues with fuel dilution in used oil analyses done on engines with direct injection. This seems to be a common issue with DI engines, and I am curious if this issue is tracked by the IOLM. We are planning on keeping the car for quite a while, and I'd hate to rely on the IOLM if the oil life has been exceeded due to fuel dilution. I am also surprised that there are no special requirements for the oil in a 2.0L turbo, such as a synthetic oil. Again - I'm just being paranoid about making sure I don't cause any damage to the engine by using an inferior oil.

This is the response:

Quote:
My name is Mea from Ford’s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I received your email regarding your inquiry about the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor System (IOLM) on your 2013 Ford Fusion.

I understand you are asking if your vehicle’s IOLM can track the issues with fuel dilution. Also, you are concerned that there are no special requirements for the oil in a 2.0L turbo. I have looked into this matter for you.

To ensure that your inquiry is addressed in the most appropriate manner, I have escalated it to our Technical Subject Matter Expert (Tech SME). After checking our resources, it was verified that the Ecoboost line of engines simply requires the use of Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic which is similar to all Ford vehicles. However, there may be a difference of viscosity as the 2.0L Ecoboost requires 5W30 and the 1.6L Ecoboost, while the 2.5L requires 5W20 Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic. The requirement for the oil is that, it must meet or exceed Ford Specification WSS-M2C946-A for the 2.0L Ecoboost engine.

As the oil change requirements are determined based on several factors including injector on time, engine load and mileage to name a few, the IOLM system is designed to compensate for normal engine operation based on engineering testing of each powertrain system.

Care must be observed when evaluating laboratory results, as many laboratories’ testing procedures may not compensate for direct injection engines and will not be able to account for the increased levels of fuel in the oil caused by direct injection.

I appreciate you purchasing a new 2013 Fusion and I thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Mea

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

FWIW - I've always had my cars on a 5,000 mile OCI using whatever decent oil (PYB and QS usually) that's available. I'm actually thinking about going to 7,500 miles in that Fusion using M1 5W-30. My wife currently has 4,000 miles on the car, and the IOLM shows and extrapolated max like of around 10,000 miles. It seems like going to 7,500 miles ought to be OK to do based on Ford's own requirement. They can't really fault you for listening to their own diagnostic tool.

The Fusion's IOLM actually will show you a "% oil life remaining"? Where is this? We 2012/2013 Focus owners don't seem to be entitled to this information.

Not sure about the overall response, but they sort-of lose me when they say some labs may not be able to account for increased fuel in DI engines. Have no idea what this is other than a confession that fuel levels are high.

Interesting that they realize there are issues with DI, and they didn't try and tell you otherwise. As far as the lab comments go, the lab is able to tell you if fuel levels are high, so that remark made no sense to me.

Not a bad response from Ford. Still, considering what you know about fuel dilution, why not use full synthetic and change more regularly.

Certainly, our company F150 EB has fuel dilution issues. The engine actually starts showing signs of this. A rough idle is the most common sign, but it also ticks loudly and generally does not sound "right". The oil change instantly fixes this.

I'm certain the engine will outlast it's warranty period with 10,000 mile oil changes per the oil life monitor. Is that the level of protection you are going for?

I wonder what the Ford SME's unedited response would have looked like (unless, of course, the SME's name is Google...)

Besides giving you a spec for the 2.0T, the email didn't really tell you anything. The comment about labs and fuel dilution struck me as odd, the presence of fuel is irrespective of injection method, right?

I agree that your inquiry was not responded to by an American, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
I dunno: Ford suggests a "normal" set of driving conditions will set off the IOLM in 7,500 - 10,000 miles. And oils that meet Ford's specs don't have to be a full syn or a blend. This estimated OCI interval is, incidentally, the same for turbo and non-turbo engines.

Considering Toyota says 10,000 miles is OK using a full syn and 5,000 miles otherwise in its non-turbo, non-DI engines, I wonder how this is going it turn out. For the casual owner of an EcoBoost, DI Ford going to JiffyLube every 10k and checking the oil never, it seems like a recipe for trouble well before 100k. And lots of unhappy owners. Guess we'll see. Think I'd be using a full syn and changing at least very 5k until real world experience suggested it was safe to do otherwise.

A reasonably to the point and honest answer. How about that! In other words, no, their usage algorithms for their IOLM don't take into account fuel dilution.

The truth is, we Ford owners have plenty to worry about, but not so much the engines, if experience is any guide. I'd find a mechanic I trusted and would change the transmission oil and filter and maybe differential fluids with high dollar synthetic at the 36K mark if I wanted to be a worrier.

The F-150 Ecoboosts seem to chew through the oil about every 5K or so. It doesn't seem to matter much if its synthetic or not. I gotta think a normally aspirated DI engine would do a little better.

Why not sample, test, find out, and then be done with it instead of speculating on the 'net? That's what I did with my non DI 3.7L. It was within specs at 5K. I plan to run the IOLM below 5% and sample with the change. If its dead-on I'll probably change at 10% from then on. If a little under, more like 20% or I'll switch to synthetic.

P.S. You can buy Ford Factory extended warranties cheap on the web. Its a peculiarity of the Ford Motor Company. The not-so-basic "Basic" warranty runs around $750 or $800 or so for a 7Yr 100K warranty. I got mine from Flood Ford, but there are others, Like Troy Ford. It won't pay for the power windows or the electronic doo-dads on your Titantium, but it fixes the AC and the stuff that will keep you from getting to work. Its peace of mind, and not to be a pessimist, or anything, but I figure its almost a foregone conclusion that you have a $500 repair along the way. Only $300 is really "insurance".

Originally Posted By: steve20
FWIW doesn't sound like it was written in the good ole USA

No! And she said "I" not the good ol USA team building spirit of "we." The "I' stood out and I'm sure QC will catch hat sooner or later and remedy it.

Quote:
However, there may be a difference of viscosity as the 2.0L Ecoboost requires 5W30 and the 1.6L Ecoboost, while the 2.5L requires 5W20 Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic. The requirement for the oil is that, it must meet or exceed Ford Specification WSS-M2C946-A for the 2.0L Ecoboost engine.
Man, those are a couple of poorly-structured sentences.

It sounds like she is saying that the 1.6 and 2.0 engines spec 5W-30, while the 2.5 specs 5W-20.

I agree, it's written either by someone who flunked high-school English, or by someone who speaks English as a second language.

I'm not terribly concerned with the poor sentence structure as long as he did consult with a tech SME.

One of the questions I asked was "Do you really mean it when you say it doesn't need a special oil?" Ford's manual says "no synthetic is needed". He responds by "you need semi synthetic or synthetic. Oil meeting WSS-M2C946-A is OK". Well, there are lots of non-synthetic oils that meets WSS-M2C946-A. So which is it? A disappointing answer.

Not very satisfactory in regards to the fuel dilution either. Obviously it CAN be measured.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that Ford would intentionally screw over their customers with a messed-up IOLM algorithm. It would lead to premature engine failure and a black eye for Ford's reputation.

At this point in time I have two options: Go with my usual 5000 mile OCI using a decent oil like PYB, or try to follow the IOLM more closely with good oil like M1. Six of one, half dozen of the other I suppose. Running UOA is counterproductive for me since I don't care for the extra expense and hassle. I had already bought some M1, but now I'm thinking about doing the 5K OCI instead. Ultimately, it all depends on whether or not there's fuel dilution. If not, then trusting the IOLM makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:
Please note that fuel dilution is significant in almost any forced induction engine or even a naturally aspirated one with an aggressive tune.

There is no evidence that a small amount of fuel hurts anything at all. I agree that Ford has likely researched this to death and decided it is a non issue.

The required oil for the EcoBoost V6 is basically non-synthetic 5W-30, such as Pennzoil 5W-30 which meets the Ford spec. If Ford is confident that non-synthetic 5W-30 will protect the EcoBoost engines, I'm ok with that.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Please note that fuel dilution is significant in almost any forced induction engine or even a naturally aspirated one with an aggressive tune.

There is no evidence that a small amount of fuel hurts anything at all. I agree that Ford has likely researched this to death and decided it is a non issue.

+1 and this is what Hyundai's Tech line conveyed to me as well.

Originally Posted By: metroplex
The required oil for the EcoBoost V6 is basically non-synthetic 5W-30, such as Pennzoil 5W-30 which meets the Ford spec. If Ford is confident that non-synthetic 5W-30 will protect the EcoBoost engines, I'm ok with that.

+2

Fuel dilution is an issue if you use bio-diesel (in a diesel)or or more the 2% ethanol gas(in a gas engine)it doesnt mean fuel dilution doesnt happen if you use 0% ethanol gas i di gas engine,it just mean it happen less.so in the real world?since most are stuck buying bio diesel or 20% ethanol gas!i would change oil like ford say

turbo's are harder on oil, vw specs synthetic, add DI and its worse . i would at least run a full fake group III synthetic, better yet as i did on my 2001 jetta tuned to 300 hp use a real group IV or V synthetic oil, went 199,xxx before trade in still 20" vacuum on the boost vac gauge, engine quiet + happy on 10-30 Amsoil!!

Originally Posted By: Danh
.Considering Toyota says 10,000 miles is OK using a full syn and 5,000 miles otherwise in its non-turbo, non-DI engines, .

Is Toy the only manufacturer which gives one OCI for conventional and another OCI for synthetic? Thats interesting. I know Ford, GM, and BMW don't do that. In BMW's case, they force you to use syn, but don't give an option to use conventional at lower OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back