The Big Test: Midsize Sedans

Status
Not open for further replies.
MT

Another crushing victory for Mazda. The 6 is a fantastic car. What Mazda has done is quite impressive. They made a car that is better looking (inside and out), more efficient and powerful than the competition. They also added the "fun factor" into it. It's the new benchmark.

Both the MT and AT are best in class.

..and yes I know this is a MT review, but it's across the board.
wink.gif

Quote:
Again, the Mazda pushed through the group to impress everyone who drove it. With second-best acceleration, a sweet-sounding engine, and lever-actuated manual gear selection, the Mazda proved a favorite. As Kong put it, "The powertrain is the best here, the auto shifts up and down quickly, and the engine never feels like it's wanting for more." Martinez concurred, "The 2.5-liter SkyActiv pulls smoothly and sounds great." The Mazda provided an engaging powertrain, rather than one that just gets the job done. Lieberman summed it up best: "If Americans actually cared about driving, the Mazda6 would be the best-selling car in the U.S."

Honda is lagging these days. Not impressed with anything they make.

Mazda managed to also produce two best in class transmissions.

Yeah but the Sport is being compared to EX, Limited, and 1LT models.

Should've been using at least an EX Accord to compare. The Sport is essentially an LX with 18" wheels, fogs, deck lid spoiler and a sunroof.

The LX for 2014 (IIRC) received an upgraded cloth interior on par with the Sport. Different design perhaps, but similar quality.

"If Americans actually cared about driving, the Mazda6 would be the best-selling car in the U.S."

Americans care about going from A to B anytime they start the engine, it means the car must be reliable and that why Camry was/is the best selling family sedan for many years, and Accord was/is second seller after Camry.

It's hard to fault the companies for not radically changing the success formula.

Originally Posted By: heynow
Now when will the diesel Mazda 6 be released???

March 2013
August 2013
January 2014
Now unknown.

Yes Motor Trend screwed up big time compared the sport model of Accord. If they would have put in the cushier EX then the Accord would have finished second I'll bet.

They should do accelerated rust testing.Around here,Mazdas once they age,they rust badly.3s and 6s just blown away.Worse than KIAs/Hyundais.

You have a point there, the rear quarters and dog legs are a real sore spot. Big $$$ repair.
OTOH they are not a law enforcement magnet like Toyota and Honda when its a few years old.

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
I can't believe the Chrysler and Kia beat the Accord.

I know that Honda still makes good cars BUT they aren't the same as those of the late 1980's and early 1990's....Other makers have raised their game while Honda sat on it's laurels...

Lots of good cars in this segment folks!
I would have trouble picking my perfect choice for the long haul!

Good looking cars from the:
Ford Fusion
KIA Optima
Mazda 6
even the Accord

Not a DUD in the bunch IMHO! Never before have we had so many choices this good
smile.gif

Last edited:
This is why we need to do our own comparison between vehicles before buying!

One person wants the most MPG in class while another wants the best crash protection for their family. And another still, wants the best cruiser of the bunch and not everyone wants the sportiest vehicle with the best handling at the limit.

Because we typicaly don't drive at those limits, it's those limits that may save your butt in an accident avoidence compared to another vehicle in class.

And another family may want the absolute best looking vehicle in class which may have not made this comparison test...IMHO, it's the FUSION and the Mazda 6 is only good looking.

Tough choices these days isn't it?

Last edited:
I dont think you could make a BAD choice with any of these. I personally choose a vehicle based on reliability.

Saying that Motor Trend should have asked for some other trim level of Accord is all well and good, but that's not how press fleets work...

Quote:
Each manufacturer was instructed to give us what they consider the best version of their midsizer available for a base price of $26,000 or less, destination fees included. From there, options could be added however they saw fit.

Sometimes an OEM will bend over backwards to put a particular trim level in a comparison test... other times they'll send over whatever they have on hand. And then there are the times that the magazine sets the selection criteria, and the OEM is expected to follow them.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Yes Motor Trend screwed up big time compared the sport model of Accord. If they would have put in the cushier EX then the Accord would have finished second I'll bet.

It is odd that MT praised the Accord for being a sports car in sedan clothing, then penalized it for...uh...being a sports car in sedan clothing.

They did say that they liked the powertrain programming, and were impressed with the CVT. That combined with MT's claimed lowest cost of ownership (lower than the next-best by $2,000) makes the Accord a solid choice, even in Sport trim. It's certainly the trim level I would buy if I bought an Accord.

Go 2014/15 Mazda 6 ! Happy to own one and already at 29k miles, and doing great (wife's).

Mazda 6 wins again! (and I've lost count of how many other tests it has already won here, AND in Europe!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back