F-15's still flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Like you, I believe pilots are necessary for intercept missions.

At least for now, yeah.

I don't think there's any reason why computers couldn't eventually replace pilots. I just don't see that happening any time soon.

Originally Posted By: gwdriver
Yes, they are still flying today.That is what I flew in Iraq.There is no better air superior fighter in the world today. The new fighters are still in the test stage and have not seen combat. And Tom is correct google Seymour Johnson AFB, Goldsboro,NC.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
The F15 has never been shot down in air to air combat. Used by the isrealis in 1975. 39 years of dominance. We'll see how the f22 plays out when its for real.

With those two statements, it is a SHAME that the gov't has burned so much money on the F35 program (which from what I understand is a huge waste)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: gwdriver
Yes, they are still flying today.That is what I flew in Iraq.There is no better air superior fighter in the world today. The new fighters are still in the test stage and have not seen combat. And Tom is correct google Seymour Johnson AFB, Goldsboro,NC.

The F15 has never been shot down in air to air combat. Used by the isrealis in 1975. 39 years of dominance. We'll see how the f22 plays out when its for real.

With those two statements, it is a SHAME that the gov't has burned so much money on the F35 program (which from what I understand is a huge waste)

Well... Yes and no. Mostly yes, but still sort of no.

Quick preface: the F-35 doesn't really replace the F-15. It could conceivably replace the Strike Eagle variant for some missions, but not all. It's mainly meant to replace the F-16, A-10, F/A-18, and Harrier.

The F-35 program has been a waste in the sense that the delays and cost overruns have been utterly catastrophic, and because the all-out performance of the plane is not great.

Still, there's just no way around the fact that we need something like the F-35 to maintain our edge. All of our 4th-gen fighters (e.g. F-15, F-16, F-18, etc.) have all been matched or beaten in terms of speed, maneuverability, range, and weapons. We still probably have the best pilots, but the hardware needs to stay ahead as well. The only way for us to stay decisively on top is through stealth and advanced integration of information, and that's what the F-35 is all about. A few F-35s can penetrate airspace that would stymie a much larger group of previous-gen aircraft. They can share information about the battlespace in ways that make things like AWACS less necessary. They might be nothing special in a dogfight, but they don't really have to be; any opponent could only fight one F-35 at a time, but all of the F-35s can use each other's sensors to track every single hostile in the airspace and engage them basically at will.

So, is the plane itself a waste? Not at all. It's the program to develop the plane that has been wasteful.

Not replacing these planes is like saying that cars were almost perfect in 1978 and incremental improvements have made them perfect.
The F-35 has new technologies that require a new platform. You can only retrofit so much in an existing design.

I see Eagles from the FL ANG all the time flying from Homstead ARB.

Why was it necessary for the F-35 to be required to have vertical take off and landings ? It seems silly to me.

The plan is the USAF, USN, and USMC all have common tech over the battlefield. The current inventory does not do this. The USN and USMC are specifically interested in VSTOL and VTOL capabilities to replace the Harrier and add new capability. The USAF variant will not have VTOL/VSTOL.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I see Eagles from the FL ANG all the time flying from Homstead ARB.

Why was it necessary for the F-35 to be required to have vertical take off and landings ? It seems silly to me.

As Tom Slick has stated this is a Department of the Navy requirement. To take nothing away from what Harrier's have done. Harrier's need to be replaced ASAP also keep in mind the maintenance cost of AV-8, F-16, and F-18's is going to increase.

I have never understood why people question that equipment that is over 4 decades old should be replaced.

We gotta whole fleet at the air guard base here in Fresno. We used to have F-16's, but some big wig said that if they didn't switch over to F-15's they were gonna shut the base down.

The F22 is for real. My buddy was a flight chief and did structural maintenance on them. There is nothing that currently comes close. They out perform anything in the sky while going completely off the radar.

Once we were doing thermal reading on them and there was a small hot spot and everyone was freaking out. Turned out to be a bird on the wing.

So this should be obvious from my other comments here, but just for emphasis: I completely agree that the F-22 is overall the most lethal air superiority aircraft out there right now.

That said, aren't there other fighters that can match or beat the F-22's flight characteristics? I'm thinking of the Eurofighter Typhoon and SU-35. In other words, assuming equally skilled pilots, wouldn't an F-22 have a hard time with those planes IF it weren't stealthy?

No. The F-22 has superior acceleration, range, cruise speed and maneuverability to those jets listed. The Sukhoi comes close in maneuverability...but none of the current airplanes come close to the Raptor in airframe and power plant performance.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

The F-35 program has been a waste in the sense that the delays and cost overruns have been utterly catastrophic, and because the all-out performance of the plane is not great.

No offense intended d00df00d. I simply included the most factual part of your post.

You summed it up beautifully in your sentence above.

But I feel compelled to add that the F-35 is the most over-priced, over-marketed, and over-hyped "fighter" to date.

It is in no way capable of replacing the A-10, F-16, F-15, and F-18 in one package. That especially applies to the A-10. There ain't no way any battle planner will let that over-priced piece of "technology" get low and slow down in the dirt to support the grunts. Any arguments to the contrary border on a need for serious meds.

And all of the giddiness over it's purported "cutting edge" stealth and technology is out the window when the Chinese or any other adversary swarm it with non stealth fighters at a 15 to 1 ratio.

F-35: over-priced underperformance.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
No. The F-22 has superior acceleration, range, cruise speed and maneuverability to those jets listed. The Sukhoi comes close in maneuverability...but none of the current airplanes come close to the Raptor in airframe and power plant performance.

+1

Originally Posted By: dkryan
But I feel compelled to add that the F-35 is the most over-priced, over-marketed, and over-hyped "fighter" to date.

Perhaps. Honestly, I hope we never find ourselves in a position to find out just how good it is.

It is in no way capable of replacing the A-10, F-16, F-15, and F-18 in one package. That especially applies to the A-10. There ain't no way any battle planner will let that over-priced piece of "technology" get low and slow down in the dirt to support the grunts.

To be clear, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the F-35 has all the capabilities of all the planes it's supposed to replace. I'm pretty sure it isn't intended to fully replace all of them, either. It's only supposed to provide enough capabilities that our commanders can get MOST of those planes' missions done with a single platform, plus provide some new tools for the toolbox (e.g. the ability to penetrate heavily defended airspace). For whatever the F-35 can't get done, we'll keep a few of the older planes around and/or adapt our strategies and tactics accordingly.

And all of the giddiness over its purported "cutting edge" stealth and technology is out the window when the Chinese or any other adversary swarm it with non stealth fighters at a 15 to 1 ratio.

What good are 15 fighters if none of them can see their adversary but their adversary can see all of them?

Also: you mentioned that our commanders aren't stupid enough to blindly swap an F-35 into a mission template that only the A-10 can fly. I completely agree. By the same token, I think it's fair to say that our commanders and pilots wouldn't be stupid enough to pick a fight with 15-to-1 odds against them, unless they could find a way to tip the odds back in their favor.

As for how they might gain such an advantage, I think it's instructive that the F-117A did just fine for decades with stealth and mission planning as its only defenses.

And all of the giddiness over it's purported "cutting edge" stealth and technology is out the window when the Chinese or any other adversary swarm it with non stealth fighters at a 15 to 1 ratio.

F-35: over-priced underperformance.

And how, exactly, would you swarm it?

I mean this seriously...to swarm it, you need to have 1. knowledge of where the F-35s are flying, 2. fighters with sufficient range to get there and 3. enough fighters in the air to continue to defend the rest of your country at the same 15:1 ratio.

Stealth obviates condition 1. above and conditions 2. and 3. are simple math problems...that turn out to be impossible to satisfy given the size of most adversary nations.

Let's take a simple look at this: A US carrier is operating 300 miles from an adversary nation. They wish to strike the carrier, but know that the F-35s are flying. So, they send up their fighters to engage the F-35s before their attack planes shoot some form of anti-ship missile.

So, first question: where is the carrier? Let's say, for sake of discussion, that it's known within 300 miles (this is very unlikely, but let's give the bad guys some hope...). So, to engage a stealth airplane, you have to acquire it visually. A pilot with Chuck Yeager 20/10 vision can see a fighter at 20 miles...so, our adversary nation has to get 15 fighters within 20 miles of every F-35, right? Now, they're covering a 300 mile unknown area...and the F-35s fly in section (2 airplanes)...so, you've got to get 30 airplanes in the air every +/- 20 miles, or 30 airplanes in 8 spots along your unknown engagement area...so, you, adversary nation, are launching 240 airplanes to try and strike the carrier...

Now, at 300 miles from your coast, the only fighters you've got that can fly that far, engage in a serious all-aspect dogfight, and fly back are the newer models, like the SU-27. The older MiGs and interceptors don't have the combat radius or the weapons to be able to shoot the F-35...so, we're talking about a greater number of airplanes than any nation, save China and Russia, have in inventory for an attack.

The same problem exists in the reverse: defend your coast. If you wanted that 15:1 advantage, you would have to have those same 30 airplanes every 40 miles...and over several hundred miles of coast, you run out of airplanes quickly...

It's the principle of force concentration. Because the stealth airplane arrives quickly, and undetected, positioning sufficient forces to be able to intercept in overwhelming numbers becomes impossible.

The F-35 can hold any number of targets in the country at risk, because no country has enough fighters to put up a wall...all of the air defense systems in the world depend on radar to move their fighters in response to an attack...and those fighters are assumed to be equal in capability to the attackers.

Long range stealth fighters (not the F-117, that was an attack airplane) change the entire game.

Is the F-35 late? sure, and over budget, too...but that doesn't mean that it won't change the game once it's on board our carriers...It's not ideal for the close air support mission that has dominated our recent conflicts...but against a high-end adversary, in a hypothetical future conflict, it is far, far more capable than the airplanes that it is replacing...it truly will change the game of power projection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

..It's not ideal for the close air support mission that has dominated our recent conflicts...but against a high-end adversary, in a hypothetical future conflict, it is far, far more capable than the airplanes that it is replacing...

That's wonderful news if we are in to war-gaming and hypothetical future conflicts. But being smart enough to learn from history (will we ever?), the F-35 is not the "be all aircraft to all air forces and their needs, hands down" aircraft that the marketing hype wants us to believe.

And there is great danger in putting all of one's eggs into a basket called "game changer."

The rules of any game can be re-written at any time.

Don't discount L-band radar and the "inferior" fourth generation fighters with LO/IR sensors and IR long range missiles as not being capable.

Honestly Astro, I hope the F-35 truly dominates the skies and each and every conflict that it is in. But reality may paint a different picture in the history books where the F-35 is concerned.

I discount nothing...particularly the EO/IR sensors on airplanes that allow tracking a great ranges against a clear blue sky background...as we used to get some pretty awesome track ranges on the F-14D IRST, even with a Hornet FLIR, we could do some good work.

So, reasonable tactics against stealth aircraft can be developed, and technologies can mitigate the stealth of the aircraft involved...but stealth remains a huge advantage...

So, my example leaves out quite a bit of tactical (and classified) discussion on how to organize a strike or defend against one...but it does point out the challenges that the non-stealth adversary faces...and that's the point: maintaining the technological edge gives you the tactical advantage.

Time will tell if this is a program that was worth it. The airplane is far, far more expensive than intended...it was supposed to be the "low end" fighter in the mix with the "high end" F-22...

The idea that the services could share one airframe for multiple missions was tried before, at the direction of a SECDEF who knew little of employment or strategy, but thought he knew everything about efficiency and analysis. It was a disaster...the US Navy pulled out of the F-111 program and the Tomcat was born of that failure...

They scrambled 2 F-15's recently when they tracked the single engine turbo prop of some developer wander off the flight path from Rochester NY to Naples FL.

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
They scrambled 2 F-15's recently when they tracked the single engine turbo prop of some developer wander off the flight path from Rochester NY to Naples FL.

Missed that story, would you happen to have a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back